• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Buying American

I don't see how cars and discs are different, a job is a job. And trying to American isn't anti capitalism, the government saying that you didn't have a choice would be anti capitalism.

I certainly wouldn't say Lat discs are superior, my most used 2 discs are still a buzzz and a teebird.

This thread is pointless. People are going buy what they want, regardless of the country of origin. just look at your sporting goods and clothes...

I will never understand that type of patriotism.

Plus where do you think the petroleum to make your American discs come from? It isn't america I tell you what.

Last edited:
ummmm, you don't really know what fascism is do you?

http://www.americanfascistmovement.com

If you wanted to do what's best for America, you would always buy the highest quality product that you can afford, regardless of where it's made...at least that's what the capitalist believes...

Fascism I believe is the global corporations running the government, wich is whats going on now. Capitalism is part of whats destroying this country. If you want to be a greedy bastard and participate in the destruction of our country, thats fine. No ones going to stop you. Have you ever heard of "the seperation of the classes?" Or are you a rich a-hole that doesn't give a crap about the rest of us?

There is so much wrong there that I wouldnt know where to start. Why doesn't everyone just buy what they want and not worry about what oth guys are buying. And then everybody can go throw happy.

There is so much wrong there that I wouldnt know where to start. Why doesn't everyone just buy what they want and not worry about what oth guys are buying. And then everybody can go throw happy.

Agreed, I forgot, never discuss polotics or religon. My bad, sorry.

Fascism I believe is the global corporations running the government, wich is whats going on now. Capitalism is part of whats destroying this country. If you want to be a greedy bastard and participate in the destruction of our country, thats fine. No ones going to stop you. Have you ever heard of "the seperation of the classes?" Or are you a rich a-hole that doesn't give a crap about the rest of us?

Your belief in what fascism is and what fascism actually is are two different things. Words have definitions for reasons.
Capitalism is part of what's destroying this country? I'd be interested to hear you expand that thought.

Interesting that we're both concerned about the separation of the classes, yet are looking at this in two different ways. To extend my thought about buying the best for the best price, my thought process is like this;
If the American consumer concerns themselves most with quality, then in order to compete, american companies will, in theory, increase their quality. This need for quality increase, in my mind, filters into more investment in innovation and education, which in the long term will raise the bar for american companies until some foreign company comes up with a better process/product, which will again inspire the american companies to improve...

I know that's kind of a pared down view, but that is my view on how a picky consumer and producers interact ad filters down...

My shoes are american made. My clothes are american made. My discs are american made. My Nissan is American made. Besides my electronics, pretty much everything I own is american made and I'm proud of it.

I agree that is how capitalism should work Wayne, it just doesn't seem to be reality. Instead the American jobs just move over seas to make the stuff cheaper.

I didn't start this thread to be a political discussion. Just as something that I was thinking about. I work for an American manufacturer, so I try to buy American, and support the businesses that support the one I work for, but i hadn't ever thought about discs that way until recently.

I agree with what your saying there, to a point. American car manufacturers made mostly really bad cars in the 1970's. The Japanese cars were mostly better made and forced the Americans to make better cars, or risk going out of buisness, which some did.

Maybe I'm wrong about fascism, I'll have to check, but call it what you want to, the global corporations ars destroying this country, and the enviornment with there greedy quest for money. How many billions of dollars do they need? Do you like paying $4.00 a gallon for gas? Capitalism run amok and fueled by greed imo is not a good thing.

End of rant....sorry about attack in previous post, its been a long couple of days.

I agree with what your saying there, to a point. American car manufacturers made mostly really bad cars in the 1970's. The Japanese cars were mostly better made and forced the Americans to make better cars, or risk going out of buisness, which some did.

Maybe I'm wrong about fascism, I'll have to check, but call it what you want to, the global corporations ars destroying this country, and the enviornment with there greedy quest for money. How many billions of dollars do they need? Do you like paying $4.00 a gallon for gas? Capitalism run amok and fueled by greed imo is not a good thing.

End of rant....sorry about attack in previous post, its been a long couple of days.

Whatever man, I hear what you're saying, I just don't think fascism is the word you're looking for.
I also wouldn't put every 'global' corporation in the same bucket...I've audited many of them and they are mostly operated by good and fair people...but it's that stock price you know...that need to pay regular dividends...

Part of the problem I believe is that we have such a fast-food, knee-jerk mentality that sometimes major corporations will make long term sacrafices for short term gains in order to keep the investment houses happy.

I'm not sure what the solution is, but I know that there are too few people in NYC shifting stock prices on perfectly fine companies over what amounts to peanuts, but can kill the long-term potential or future capital raising potential of many companies....

Buying American doesn't provide that much benefit if the creator and marketer of the product is in America. A simplified product costing model for something that retails for $10 is the wholesale cost is $5 and the manufacturing cost, delivered to the U.S., is about $2.50. Since the physical product (not service) involves raw materials, some which come from the U.S or places other than the country where it's manufactured, less than $1 might be labor.

So, the wholesaler in the U.S. at $2.50 makes more than the overseas manufacturer who gets maybe $2.25-2.35 with $0.15-0.25 shipping. The U.S. retailer makes more than both manufacturer and wholesaler at around $5 gross. So at least $7.50 of the $10 stays here to support U.S. jobs and likely more depending on who supplies some of the raw materials and handles shipping. Considering that more people are likely to buy lower priced products if the wholesaler/retailer can get them made overseas, the simplistic cry to "Buy American" doesn't necessarily produce more wealth and jobs in the U.S.

Buying American doesn't provide that much benefit if the creator and marketer of the product is in America. A simplified product costing model for something that retails for $10 is the wholesale cost is $5 and the manufacturing cost, delivered to the U.S., is about $2.50. Since the physical product (not service) involves raw materials, some which come from the U.S or places other than the country where it's manufactured, less than $1 might be labor.

So, the wholesaler in the U.S. at $2.50 makes more than the overseas manufacturer who gets maybe $2.25-2.35 with $0.15-0.25 shipping. The U.S. retailer makes more than both manufacturer and wholesaler at around $5 gross. So at least $7.50 of the $10 stays here to support U.S. jobs and likely more depending on who supplies some of the raw materials and handles shipping. Considering that more people are likely to buy lower priced products if the wholesaler/retailer can get them made overseas, the simplistic cry to "Buy American" doesn't necessarily produce more wealth and jobs in the U.S.
It doesn't? My Maxima was built in Tennessee. A number of Americans built that vehicle. It's their JOB.

I'm all for America, but living in small town Illinois and working at a steel mill, I see a lot wrong with this country. The main thing being, "I support America, we are the best. I only buy American.", said the laziest person I've ever met. I work in a place that 50 or 60 years ago embodied the American spirit. Now it's filled with fat, lazy slobs that want more money but have to sh** everytime there's work to be done. Capitalism has lost to greed ages ago. Gas is $4 a gallon and the oil giants make billions a year in profit, but without government tax dollars to fund research, the price of gas will go even higher.

Shame is not in the American dictionary.

Oh, and I would use the best disc that I know of for the job. But considering Innova, Discraft, and Gateway are the only discs that really sell around here, I throw American.

If you all want to support the little guy and buy all American, sell me all your discs and throw nothing but ABC discs.

I just went through a bunch of items in my home and only found one item made in america, I throw a ton of Lat 64 and could care less where they are made. I am all for buy american but I'm gonna throw what I like and not what anyone thinks or says I should. Funny, even though I make the zipper pulls here in america, some of the paracord given to me is made in Indionesia lol.

Gas is $4 a gallon and the oil giants make billions a year in profit, but without government tax dollars to fund research, the price of gas will go even higher.

Shame is not in the American dictionary.

And the oil companies only make about 6 cents per gallon out of that... a profit margin of 1.5%. Ask anyone in business... that's VERY low. Even if you cut their entire profit out of it, the savings to us would be almost nothing. On the other hand, the government gets about 10 times that per gallon in taxes. And OPEC... well, let's not even go there.

Latest posts