• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can a player ask a spectator/fan to rattle the chains?

Read what I wrote again about line of play not considered advice/not illegal as it's public knowledge.

How is asking what disc someone threw, before you throw, not considered a device that directly assists what disc you choose to throw or gauge the wind?

Originally Posted by rule 813.02
A player must not use any device that directly assists in making a throw.

I can still do the wet the finger down in mouth then gauge the wind, no device other then using my own body. Otherwise then every throw I make with my own hands is an assisted throw as I am using my own body as the device and I need to give a 1+ to every stroke I throw for each hole.

This is what I think of some getting too technical on the sport. :gross: :gross:

I would interpret that in disc golf any advice is an illegal device. Advice is illegal in ball golf, either asking or giving whether solicited or not. See post above.

I would agree that rattling chains is not illegal though after reading that line of play is public knowledge and is not considered advice.

Yeah, words =/= "device". Nice try.

So, according to Chuck, all four players should be been given a penalty after the "Star Birdie" chain rattling at konopiste?...

Yup. And according to SW everyone who's ever played should be given a penalty on every throw for using their eyes.

That's why "according to" ultimately doesn't mean a thing unless it is followed by "the Tournament Director".

So, according to Chuck, all four players should be been given a penalty after the "Star Birdie" chain rattling at konopiste?...
You mean "according to the rules as commented on by Chuck." The rules generally tell players "Don't touch" like a sign in a china shop. It's more complicated to write a rule to allow all of the possible exceptions where you have to answer "What about this?" or "What about this?" versus relying on seemingly reasonable situational judgments (but whose reason?) where a particular action like "ringing the chains" isn't out of step with other ways players are allowed to discover where the target is located.

I have always thought of the rules in a fashion of "if it is not proscribed it is permitted". IMO extrapolating things you CANNOT do from the written rules as opposed to extrapolating things you CAN do steps into the realm of legislating things yourself which is not where I believe we want to go.

wow...after reading through this thread, I still don't know. Can I have someone rattle the chains for me or not? Because there is no doubt it's a directional aid when you're stuck behind thick brush, trees, etc, and it could save a stroke from having to re-tee or throw from a previous lie.

wow...after reading through this thread, I still don't know. Can I have someone rattle the chains for me or not? Because there is no doubt it's a directional aid when you're stuck behind thick brush, trees, etc, and it could save a stroke from having to re-tee or throw from a previous lie.

"Placing an object as a directional aid is not allowed." Rattling the chains is not placing an object.

The only possible rule that might be specifically violated is "A player is not allowed to move any obstacle on the course, [with some exceptions]". If the chains are in the same place they were before the rattling, have they actually been "moved"?

Of course, the action - while not illegal itself - may incidentally violate other rules like excessive time, or distracting other players, or interference if a throw hits the hand shaking the chains.

I'd say: Don't ask for it. It's kind of an imposition, so it's not something we want to become a common part of the game. But, if you do, make an appeal if your group gives you a violation.

I'd say: Don't ask for it. It's kind of an imposition, so it's not something we want to become a common part of the game. But, if you do, make an appeal if your group gives you a violation.

Why would the group give a violation for asking to have the chains rattled? That's not a violation of any rule (or "logical" extension of any rule in the book). If the group feels that rattling the chains is against the rules, all they have to do is say no.

As for it not being something we want to become part of the game...too late. The occasion that inspired the thread did not happen out of the blue. It wasn't the first time someone has asked for help locating the basket from a blind position and certainly not the first time that the response was to rattle the chains of the basket. It's a practice that's been going on since the pole hole target was invented, I imagine.

The answer to the question posed by the OP is yes, a player can ask someone to rattle the chains. The answer to the follow up is that no, there is no rule barring someone from rattling the chains for that player. Everything else in the thread is speculation and wishful thinking.

The player needs to know where the basket is to take a legal stance. If the other players on the card refuses to help, and they are not in a position to call a potential stance violation, I think I would give them all a curtesy violation for that.

FYI - TD didn't have a problem with chain rattling.

Latest posts