• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can we safely play a round of disc golf?

I find myself frustrated by arguments along the lines of "we are more likely to get infected at X than playing disc golf" or "disc golf is safer than X."

This isn't a comparative exercise. How dangerous is disc golf? We don't know. More risk for infection than staying inside one's home. More risk for infection than not playing. But how risky? We don't know.

I'm debating playing tomorrow. But as someone who only has to interact with others at the grocery store for the foreseeable future, how much should I care that playing is very likely, almost certainly riskier than not playing?

Why increase my exposure risk? That's the roadblock I keep running into.

I find myself frustrated by arguments along the lines of "we are more likely to get infected at X than playing disc golf" or "disc golf is safer than X."

This isn't a comparative exercise. How dangerous is disc golf? We don't know. More risk for infection than staying inside one's home. More risk for infection than not playing. But how risky? We don't know.

I'm debating playing tomorrow. But as someone who only has to interact with others at the grocery store for the foreseeable future, how much should I care that playing is very likely, almost certainly riskier than not playing?

Why increase my exposure risk? That's the roadblock I keep running into.

All of life is an excercise in comparative risk. The reason to increase risk is that we believe the rewards to be greater. That's the reason we increase risk by driving cars or going swimming or playing baseball. There is such a thing as acceptable risk. Every situation, including this sickness, demands thoughtful or responsible people to evaluate risk and make decisions. Comparisons are useful tools in this process.

All of life is an excercise in comparative risk. The reason to increase risk is that we believe the rewards to be greater. That's the reason we increase risk by driving cars or going swimming or playing baseball. There is such a thing as acceptable risk. Every situation, including this sickness, demands thoughtful or responsible people to evaluate risk and make decisions. Comparisons are useful tools in this process.

I agree in concept but the difference here is that decreased exposure means decreased spread and that's important because the medical infrastructure is going to be overwhelmed and people are going to die because of the virus or due to not being able to get care for other health issues and injuries. Selfishly, to increase the possibility of my exposure and then risk not getting access to the care I need seems goofy.

the medical infrastructure is going to be overwhelmed and people are going to die because of the virus or due to not being able to get care for other health issues and injuries.

I'm not taking sides with either one of you in this debate, nor am I taking sides in the general over/under reacting debate. I just wanted to point out this is a great quote as more people should be made aware:

It's not just a risk of people getting coronavirus and dying, it's a risk of anyone needing any sort of medical treatment and not receiving it due to the strains on health care. Some idiot could miss a stop sign and slam into you, and there may be no one available to help you.

We shouldn't panic. But most of us should do more to help flatten the curve.

Don't aim at the basket, if you get it within circle 1, move on to the next hole. Practice putting at home.

That's sadly amazing when you consider how many folks work for one of the Big 3, or suppliers... or in logistics / supply chain associated with the auto industry...not just near Detroit, but other parts of the state, too.

You may not get rich working those jobs, but if you got one, feeding your kids ain't an issue.

I always thought MI was decent state to achieve a middleclass income in. :\

We moved here in the 90's because educators were treated very well, relatively speaking. I taught 6th grade for a couple of years (nearly lost my mind!) and my salary then, when adjusted for inflation today, would be around $7,000 more per year if I remember right and we had better benefits back then too. I had one interview in Okemos where I was told a few thousand applicants were applying for the job and I was damned lucky to even make it to the principal's desk. I landed a job in a rural district but was still up against a few hundred others. Now there are shortages. It's really depressing to see what has happened to the profession. UGH.

I remember looking up to Michigan when I was a kid in Indiana and thinking what an awesome place it would be to live. I still feel that way, especially in terms of our geography. We're blessed big time with our many great courses and clubs in the Disc Golf world. I like it here. Wish the jobs were like they used to be!

This is obvious, but I'm sure some people still won't think of it: bad time to go to your local disc store and fondle plastic.

If you need something, by all means go, take a look, maybe ask if they have blue Champ Call in the 160's...

But don't fondle half a dozen did sand put'em back on the shelf.

My local course is jam packed.

I'm fortunate enough to have a big back yard and a basket, about 100 putters, and a terrible forehand. See you in a month.

Lots of people out today. Nice weather and little to do, so I guess I should have expected it.

Picked up my disc from the basket a few times, but I didn't putt out on any tap ins. Avoided touching my face and wiped down after the round. Seemed reasonable.

Reasons to play disc golf right now:

♦ Exercise (boosts immunity)
♦ Sunlight (vitamin D boosts immunity)
♦ Stress relief/meditative
♦ Nothing else to do
♦ Easily able to practice social distancing
♦ Already risking exposure when you go to gas station/grocery store/work

Reasons not to play disc golf right now:

♦ Raises risk of exposure by maybe 0.0005%
♦ You're sponsored by Yikun or routinely move your discs through airports/hospitals.
♦ You're so clumsy that you can easily hurt yourself and need hospital care.

Reasons to play disc golf right now:

♦ Exercise (boosts immunity)
♦ Sunlight (vitamin D boosts immunity)
♦ Stress relief/meditative
♦ Nothing else to do
♦ Easily able to practice social distancing
♦ Already risking exposure when you go to gas station/grocery store/work

Reasons not to play disc golf right now:

♦ Raises risk of exposure by maybe 0.0005%
♦ You're sponsored by Yikun or routinely move your discs through airports/hospitals.
♦ You're so clumsy that you can easily hurt yourself and need hospital care.
♦ Risk running into Dustin Keegan on the course.

FTFY

Something to consider that I don't think has been mentioned, the surface area of a disc golf basket is fairly small. Any thoughts on carrying a damp towel soaked in Clorox or a similar solution and wiping one's putter after putting out each hole?

Nature reports that:

* COVID-19 patients can be highly infectious when they have few or no symptoms, and
* 18% to 59% of COVID-19 cases are estimated to be asymptomatic.

Covert coronavirus infections could be seeding new outbreaks (Nature, 20 March 2020)

CDC reports that all adults, not just old people, are vulnerable to hospitalization from COVID-19. Among 508 hospitalized COVID-19 patients:

* 20% were aged 20-44 years
* 18% were aged 45-54 years

Severe Outcomes Among Patients with Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) — United States, February 12–March 16, 2020 (CDC Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report)

Put that information together, and what logical conclusions can be drawn?

Put that information together, and what logical conclusions can be drawn?

A. Our government can't be trusted?
B. Mother nature is busy with selection?
C. This just might save social security if
enough old farts kick the bucket?
D. This is the new norm and we will never
see another sporting event....ever?
E. 42?
F. An elephants penis can weigh up to.
100pounds?

I've been doing quite a bit of course work. Seldom another soul around for that. ;)

Anyone in the vicinity of Jefferson Barracks park in St. Louis, this is excellent advice! There's still a **** ton of work to do on the back course if you want to get out of the house but don't want to play a round. PM me here or get in touch with the course captain for where to go/what to do.

\Shameless plug

A. Our government can't be trusted?
B. Mother nature is busy with selection?
C. This just might save social security if
enough old farts kick the bucket?
D. This is the new norm and we will never
see another sporting event....ever?
E. 42?
F. An elephants penis can weigh up to.
100pounds?

You forgot one:

G: Jeffrey Epstein did not kill himself?

Latest posts