• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Carrying bag or cart: Which is more physically demanding?

Which is more physically demanding?

• Carrying bag

Votes: 30 81.1%
  • Towing a cart?

Votes: 7 18.9%

• Total voters
I've been having a hard time with tennis elbow recently and it occurred to me (after many rounds) that the extra gripping and pulling of the cart with throwing arm was causing more wear on my elbow. I then went to my pack for the last 3 rounds with mixed success. I thought it was all good but a whole 48 hours after last round I either slept very wrong and got a kink in my neck or the back was again causing upper back / neck problems. Back to the cart, even on hilly courses...just pulling with off arm now =) Though the idea of being able to hook the cart handle to something around my waist for no handed pulling is intriguing but probably not really applicable to disc golf.
I realize this might be super-obvious to others with Zuca carts, but it took me forever to get in the habit of alternating between pulling and pushing my cart. Have to watch out for roots and other obstacles when pushing, but over a few long rounds I could feel the difference...less strain pushing.

I played league with a guy that would set his bag on a 3 legged stool. Seemed to work for him, but maybe a smaller bag?

My lower back has been flaring a lot lately, so definitely a concern. Been thinking about a cart, but I wouldn't use it very often.

The times I'm most envious of a cart have been tournament rounds. No place to sit and the back is tightening up. Even on less than cart friendly courses, the slow pace kind of gives you time to maneuver. Being stuck waiting without a place to take a load off is pretty miserable when your back hurts.

I've considered something like a nutsack that you wear and don't take off. Maybe eliminates a few up a down reps. Every little bit counts.

But, there are things to consider not related to bags and carts.

Lose weight.

Strengthen core.

Improve flexibility.

Although I'm in my worst shape and most overweight today, those fundamental things have helped me in the past. But they are "hard" and require dedication. I'm guilty of letting myself go and not sticking with those efforts.

I got frustrated that my workouts only seemed to be slowing my decline rather than improving performance.

While there may be better gear solutions for each individual, IF you can get out and play a round of disc golf, I'm betting you know you could do a little more body care off the course that would help as well. I know I can and I'm trying to today.
I second the opinion tournament rounds. I used my cart in a two day tournament last weekend, and it was all fivesomes. Many of the tees have benches- that fit three. I never had to think about it: three on a bench, me on my cart...and one guy standing.

I played a two round tournament on a flat - but wooded - course that I play with my Zuca backpack cart pretty regularly. It was a nice day, and I decided to use my Rufus instead. Two guys in my foursome had small Zucas - and I watched as they had to take more care navigating paths, leaving carts behind when they went off the fairway, etc. They always seemed to be lagging behind the two of us with bags.

A blinding flash of the obvious:

On anything but the most open and flat courses, carrying a backpack is just simpler that pushing or pulling a cart. If backstrain or other physical things aren't an issue, and you can carry what you need for a round - the backpack seems a lot less of a hassle.

A cart provides a seat and the ability to carry more gear. I think taking a bag on and off, putting it down and picking it up is more physical, but not really by a TON. In really crappy weather, my cart is an advantage. Otherwise, if the terrain pushes me to a bag and stool, I am fine with it.

I'll join the "it depends". But in either camp, if you're worried about endurance, I'll also agree with "carry less discs/weight" and "exercise more off the course". I don't always succeed with that advice, but I think it is very sound.

For carts, I try very hard to always push/pull with my off arm.

I have a Pound Rufus and a Zuca Compact. The Rufus is so much easier to get in and out of my car that it basically wins by default. But if I know I'm playing in a situation where there will be lots of backups, then yea, the built-in seat makes a big difference. Although I might actually try out the little stool with the backpack next time.

A cart provides a seat and the ability to carry more gear. I think taking a bag on and off, putting it down and picking it up is more physical, but not really by a TON.

Agree. I tend to use my cart for tournament rounds - mostly for the seat.

I'll join the "it depends".

Yeah. It's nice to have the option, especially on bagging days when I'm planning to hit multiple new courses. I might plan for the carries early on, and keep the "cart friendly" ones for later, when endurance becomes a bigger factor.

Since buying my Rufus, my old UP Rebel stays permanently in my Zuca Backpack LG cart. I have room to carry both, and I don't mind switching discs and gear between the two during the day. But since I no longer use the cart as designed (backpack in/backpack out), I'm tempted to sell it and change to a Zuca Compact. Although the seat is lower, the cart itself is smaller, lighter, and easier to maneuver than the Backpack LG.

I've tried several over the years. 4 and 3-wheel bolf carts, converted stroller, and briefly a Zuca. This summer I finally dropped the $$ for the Rovic and it's amazingly perfect. Not sure I could have asked for more except maybe to add the seat attachment for free.

edit: I think they are about the same price

A cart SOMETIMES provides a seat and the ability to carry more gear. I think taking a bag on and off, putting it down and picking it up is more physical, but not really by a TON. In really crappy weather, my cart is an advantage. Otherwise, if the terrain pushes me to a bag and stool, I am fine with it.
Fixed it for you. Not all carts have seats. The Rovic for one comes without a seat, although you can get one as an addon.

True....but, I cannot imagine a scenario, where I would use a cart without a seat. If I did....wagons have been around for centuries. :giggle:
I like my Rovic, which does not have a seat. I had a RidgeRoller backpack, which has the seat built-in to the backpack, and I never used the seat. Using my cart, I don't recall a single time where I wish it had a seat. So it is important to some, but not all. I even have one of those tripod seats and never carry it with me.

I like my Rovic, which does not have a seat. I had a RidgeRoller backpack, which has the seat built-in to the backpack, and I never used the seat. Using my cart, I don't recall a single time where I wish it had a seat. So it is important to some, but not all. I even have one of those tripod seats and never carry it with me.
I got a buddy, never sits. ADHD keeps him pacing. I am not sure I could stand around, with the pace of tournament play. I am sure conditioning has something to do with it....mine should be better. I use a Cliqgear [Rovic] cart for golf, they are terrific.

I got a buddy, never sits. ADHD keeps him pacing. I am not sure I could stand around, with the pace of tournament play. I am sure conditioning has something to do with it....mine should be better. I use a Cliqgear [Rovic] cart for golf, they are terrific.
I don't pace....I just don't feel the need to sit. I've found that when I carry my bag, I'm not sitting nor am I wishing for a place to sit. So, there's no need for me to have a seat on my cart. But everyone is different. I'm 64 with a bad back and prefer to be standing even during long tournaments. Even when there is a bench or seat of some kind, I find that I still end up standing.

I prefer the cart.
Don't want carry all my Rocs...

I use the RidgeRoller backpack bag on the RidgeRoller cart. Unless the course is very much not cart friendly (CAMDEN 2), then I can take the bag off. I have probably sat on the RR backpack more at the airport then on the course, but I do not do tournaments or leagues and play more in AM before courses get busy, so really don't sit much and if I do most courses have the occasional bench of some kind.

Last edited:
I saw an interesting solution by Big Jerm on a practice round video earlier this year. He carried a lightweight camp stool and put his bag on it instead of on the ground. I immediately tried it with my tripod stool, and it didn't work. The seat is too small for the base of the bag, and the three legs don't give study enough a base. Ski either the bag would fall off, or the entire thing would topple over (once during my reachback).

I do this with my bag too. Having a stool will also keep your bag dry - you'll notice that if it's raining or even if the ground is wet in the morning or muddy that people who don't end up with that huge wet spot on the bottom of their back shirt/butt from carrying around a bag that gets wet from sitting it on the ground. Especially if you're playing with a little snow or mud on the ground. Wet bags also get heavy fast.

It will also help extend the life of your bag. Most bags die out from the bottom of them getting worn out from hitting the ground repeatedly. Using a stool will prevent this. I've got a very old school gateway backpack still in great shape in part to always using a stool.

Another big bonus of having a stool is that bags are bigtime tick vectors. You set your bag down in the grass and those little devils like to jump right on it. I'm sure you've all seen the sight of setting your bag down on a day with tons of mosquito, walk away a few feet and watch them just swarm it. Yeah, ticks do that too. If you bag is always elevated thanks to a stool or cart you can lower your exposure to them.

Last edited:
Ok, after dragging my cart over 1000 courses and counting. I love it on most courses. But most of the courses I have played have been mostly flat.

I have gotten pretty good at carrying it over creeks. But mostly I just drag it behind me on most courses.

Now with that said, I have "abandoned" the cart a couple of times on courses that are super hilly. I abandoned it on a course in Arkansas, a private course in Oklahoma and there was one other course in MO that I left my cart and just carried a couple of discs for a few holes.

I do have a Ranger bag in my cart, if need be, just just grab the putters out of the putter pouch and carry the bag. When traveling by plane, I use a bigger bag as my carry on.

So yes, the Zuca Cart I have saves my back on my long day trips. If I get tired, I can sit. I don't have to bend over as much which helps my back A LOT. I already live on Advil on those days as it is.

I do this with my bag too. Having a stool will also keep your bag dry - you'll notice that if it's raining or even if the ground is wet in the morning or muddy that people who don't end up with that huge wet spot on the bottom of their back shirt/butt from carrying around a bag that gets wet from sitting it on the ground. Especially if you're playing with a little snow or mud on the ground. Wet bags also get heavy fast.

It will also help extend the life of your bag. Most bags die out from the bottom of them getting worn out from hitting the ground repeatedly. Using a stool will prevent this. I've got a very old school gateway backpack still in great shape in part to always using a stool.

Another big bonus of having a stool is that bags are bigtime tick vectors. You set your bag down in the grass and those little devils like to jump right on it. I'm sure you've all seen the sight of setting your bag down on a day with tons of mosquito, walk away a few feet and watch them just swarm it. Yeah, ticks do that too. If you bag is always elevated thanks to a stool or cart you can lower your exposure to them.
I like the idea, but the stool was just one more thing to carry, and to forget it was left at the last basket.

I second the opinion tournament rounds. I used my cart in a two day tournament last weekend, and it was all fivesomes. Many of the tees have benches- that fit three. I never had to think about it: three on a bench, me on my cart...and one guy standing.
Absolutely, bag for casual play, cart for minis and tournaments.

I like the idea, but the stool was just one more thing to carry, and to forget it was left at the last basket.
Hook the stool though the straps of the bag so it is 100% attached. There was enough slack in my strap to set the bag on the ground, or on the stool when I did that. I never had to pick up my stool anymore, when I picked the bag up, the stool came with it.

My thing, and I'm sure I've posted something similar before, is this:

Used a backpack for years. All my buddies were like, "Come on, old man. You need a cart. It's only a matter of time..." I eventually caved and got the Transit.

Once - once, Johnny! - in the early goings of having the thing, I was headed to Renaissance Grey for a round with one of those buddies. I had asked him if he considered it cart-friendly, and he said, "Absolutley not." So I got to the parking lot, switched everything to my E2 bag, and slung it on.

I got to the first tee, and he's standing there with his cart. And honest to god, my shoulders were already feeling the backpack. I looked him up and down disdainfully, like, "Et tu, Brute?" and walked straight back to my car to fill up the cart. Made him wait a bit, too.

Now, it can be said that there are cart-friendly courses, and the not-so. For me, I use the cart everywhere. Haven't used my bag since. I never pull with my throwing arm, and like others have said, try to alternate between pushing and pulling. Bugs? Mud? No benches? No worries, on any of that. And while I don't sit a lot on the thing, I do rest a knee on it just about any time I stop. It sets up the perfect attitude-lean, you know, one arm propped on the handle, and one leg up. Cigarette burning, beer in hand etc. We older guys just know how to Do It...

Latest posts