• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Carts – future or fad

Currently I see not the full on carts but most of the backpack styles for now as the current thing if people want a cart. This way if they go to the place and yes it is cart friendly but the place is all grassy hills or the like then yeah they want to just remove the cart from the bag and go. It easier to take off and go rather then decide what 20-25 of the 30-35 discs they have will they use on the course and or will they have enough extra stuff to be able to play the course well, both often reasons one gets a full on cart. I also see people getting more the no seat carts simply due to price but that could be also they do not need the seat on the cart and will bring a small stool seat to use while playing in tournaments where wait time can be a factor.

Titan, I live in the Florida panhandle, but I pretend to live a bagger- fabulous lifestyle. Presently, my internet max distance from the house is roughly 11 hours by car.

Eventually, I plan on converting a cargo van, which are the carts of the automobile world, to expand my threat range.

I finally broke down and bought a cart after years of fighting it. It's the only reasonable solution I could arrive at for carrying enough water to survive the southern heat. I fully expect my course bagging on long, flat courses and muti course outings to become much more spicy in the summer months to come.

I bought a cart a couple years ago. It's one of the best things I've ever bought. Great for those long days of course bagging :thmbup:

Wimp Wagons!!!!! JK I cant speak for the bad back crew but to me they are just bulky and get in the way. However since the invention of the backpack style bag I find rounds way more comfortable. I will never give up my grip bag unless its for a new one.

You pick up/set down your bag 6-7 times per hole.
That's over 100 times per round of 18
Add on 50-60 throws with that same shoulder and you realize what an advantage a cart is.

This!

I was the first one in my area for both backpacks and carts. (except for the one groucy old guy with a GGGT cart) So many people gave me crap about it....but a few years later most of them have gone to carts. Such a great feeling!

Wimp Wagons!!!!! JK I cant speak for the bad back crew but to me they are just bulky and get in the way. However since the invention of the backpack style bag I find rounds way more comfortable. I will never give up my grip bag unless its for a new one.

I just picked up a grip bag in December for my winter rounds. It is an excellent bag for sure. But if there's no snow on the ground I'm using my cart 100 percent of the time.

You pick up/set down your bag 6-7 times per hole.
That's over 100 times per round of 18
Add on 50-60 throws with that same shoulder and you realize what an advantage a cart is.

I pick up/set mine down two to three times.YMMV. Even if more, it doesn't justify just how miserable it is to drag a cart around. I am honestly stunned so many people put themselves through that. I was absolutely hating disc golf when i used one.

It all depends on the course and weather for me. I love my Grip C-series bag and the Zuca Backpack cart is a great compliment to it. Easy in, easy out depending on what will work best on any given course. To me its the ideal situation for course bagging as you can easily adapt to make the round more enjoyable.

Grip only when it snows, when the course has lots of elevation, or I am just playing a quick round. Usually carry a stool in this scenario for sitting or for setting bag on so I dont have to bend all the way over to get disc in/out.

Grip + Cart for those super hot days when lots of water is needed, rainy days for umbrella holder and packing more gear, those flat or wide open type courses with little elevation.

The cart can be helpful to reduce the strain on the back from taking bag on/off all the time. But I am not so stubborn I use it all the time as I do find times when backpack only is the smarter way to play. One of the main reasons for going the Grip / Backpack Cart route so I have a choice each time I go play.

I pick up/set mine down two to three times.YMMV. Even if more, it doesn't justify just how miserable it is to drag a cart around. I am honestly stunned so many people put themselves through that. I was absolutely hating disc golf when i used one.

1. pick it up from the car
2. set it down at tee 1
3. pick it up to walk to your drive
4. set it down to upshot/putt
5. pick it up and go to your lie/basket
IF YOU MAKE THE BIRDIE PUTT THEN THESE DONT APPLY.
6. (if needed) set it down to make the par putt.
7. pick it up to head to tee 2.

I realize some people do putt with their bag on their back so you may only pick up/set down 5 times on SOME holes. But then there are par 4s, off fairway shots so it levels out.

I found that I had been picking my bag up with my throwing arm so if you use your non-throwing arm this would not be as much an issue. I've also adopted pulling my cart with my off hand/arm.

Car is once. I don't go back after each hole ;-)
So, most holes are par 3. Drop bag behind tee. Pick it up after drive. 1. Drop bag at end of drive. Putt. Pick up. 2. Tap in. leave.

So, 2 is likely, 3 is possible. 5 is never.

BTW, none of these are even noticed by me.

I agree with Cap. The other things I like is not having to pick up and carry 2 or more 40oz hydroflasks, I can pack a bunch of extra disc that I probably don't need, and having a seat where ever i am at. The seat thing especially on tournament days!

27 year old here who uses a cart. I want to be playing this game as long as possible, I would rather have the stress on my stronger leg muscles and my arm I'm not throwing with pulling a cart, than on my shoulders and back. Play enough times and that religion builds on itself and wears, on top of that the straps will eventually degrade and won't be as efficient supporting that weight. I have not once regretted getting a cart and after trying a few models, decided to stick with Ridge Roller. Now that delta is gone, it's pretty much the best cart you can get imo and will last well over 10 years.

With colder weather I find my self using my cart set up, Mahal and Clicgear 3.5+, less. I dislike having to have a hand on the cart and not in a muff or pocket with a hand warmer, and not as much need for hydration. I pare my discs down to just the bare essentials and carry it in a gorilla boy spider monkey.

Same here,
I tend to use my backpack in cold weather. It actually aids in keeping my core warm and my hands in my pockets. I don't carry that much hydration when it's cool, so the weight is much more reasonable.
Remember, 32ozs of water weighs in at ~900gms, or 5 discs.
In the summer, I'm usually pulling a cart to keep my back cool and carrying the hydration on the cart.

Are carts really as much of a pain as some of you guys are saying?

I'm only 25, only Ma2 so far, been playing for just under a year ... But, I have pre existing injuries from previous sports that start to affect me towards the end of rounds, especially tournaments. Back injuries, MCL/ACL, a shoulder strain that won't go away and forces me to Putt right handed because the only time the shoulder affects me is putting.

I have a DD Commander bag, and I'm looking at the Zuca EZ cart... Most of the courses I will play are EXTREMELY cart friendly.

Are they as much as a drag as some of these guys say or am I reading into it too much?

Colin.

I wouldn't say my cart is a pain to deal with.

It definitely seems to leave me with energy left after a long round versus carrying a backpack around.

My main deal is a lot of the courses I play have a lot of elevation, creek crossings, etc. and make using the bag more convenient and faster.

If I played flatter courses or park type courses or courses on ball golf courses I would use it way more often.

Also, traveling too and from your destination is probably easier without the cart. I have a full size, crew cab truck so it isn't really a big deal for me but if I had to transport the cart in some sort of car it would probably be a bit of a pain.

I also don't like dragging my cart through snow or mud. Even with the fenders it seems to make quite a mess.

Are carts really as much of a pain as some of you guys are saying?

I'm only 25, only Ma2 so far, been playing for just under a year ... But, I have pre existing injuries from previous sports that start to affect me towards the end of rounds, especially tournaments. Back injuries, MCL/ACL, a shoulder strain that won't go away and forces me to Putt right handed because the only time the shoulder affects me is putting.

I have a DD Commander bag, and I'm looking at the Zuca EZ cart... Most of the courses I will play are EXTREMELY cart friendly.

Are they as much as a drag as some of these guys say or am I reading into it too much?

Colin.

No but I have seen Commander bags get stuck in some backpack carts to the point they are very hard to get out. Also some people from what I have read on this website have a hard time accessing the side pockets on the Commander to the Backpack cart.

Latest posts