• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Chain's Bag - Feedback wanted!

Chainsmoking

I'm trying to simplify my existing bag, and all suggestions and critique on what I should change/drop/or even add are more than welcome.

Putting and approaching (175g):

Zero Pure and Opto Pure
(and in windy conditions I tend to use either Premium Joker or Rhyno. Additionally I have been thinking about KC Aviar)

I have found that Pure feels most comfortable in my hand while putting. Have tried at least DX Aviars, Wizards, P1 and P2s, Magnets and Challengers.

Midranges (175g-180g):
5x Buzzz (1x understable ESP, 2x FLX, 1x Elite Z, 1x Ti)

Should I also have a bit more over-stable mid-range or is Elite Z/Ti Buzzz and Joker/Rhyno/KC Pro Aviar combo enough? I have been thinking about adding Elite Z Hornet or Wasp if necessary.

Drivers 172-175g:
2x Teebird (1x Ch, 1x Star)
4x PD (2 S-line, 1 C-line, 1 P-line)
2x Firebird (1x Ch, 1x Star)

And these too but not entirely sure about them:
3x FD (2 S-line, 1 C-line) (overlapping with teebird right?)
2x TD (1 S-line, 1 C-line) OR Valkyrie

Distance 172-174g:
4x Destroyer (1 Ch, 3 Star)

Thank you in advance!

vtbuzzz said:
I would get a zone for an over stable mid slot.

Thank you for your suggestion, it's definitely a pretty good contender instead of Hornet. I tend to like discs with lower profile.

Nevertheless, I'm wondering is it necessary to have an over-stable mid-range if you carry additional (over-stable) putter (Prodiscus Premium Joker/Champion Rhyno/KC Pro Aviar) for approaches and drives?

Tervetuloa.

XXX and Firebird would overlap a lot. Zone will skip. Pig less and since the Firebird skips the Pig would overlap less. It is possible to straighten out a Rhyno with power so the Pig will fade more reliably and it handles more wind. I prefer the TDs to the Valk because they handle the wind better. An overstable mid is the most useful for straightish throws in hard winds. For other lines you can power down an overstable driver until it reaches the distance you can get with an overstable putter. If you want a minimal bag. A mid haas the advantage of not skipping as much. But at times having some skip is nice. Jokeri is not that hard fading for short tight turns that have ceilings. If you trust skip shots then it might be enough given those constraints. Does the Zero Pure fly straight far when hyzered or annied before the flight angle kicks in like the Opto does? Or will it turn a lot in a short space unlike the Opto Pure? If it does you don't need anything understable. I would use the FD because you don't have anything inherently understable that moves to the right quickly. Have you putted with a 165-169 Pure yet? That adds glide and reduces the power you need to generate so you'll be more accurate and consistent.

JR said:
Tervetuloa.

XXX and Firebird would overlap a lot. Zone will skip. Pig less and since the Firebird skips the Pig would overlap less. It is possible to straighten out a Rhyno with power so the Pig will fade more reliably and it handles more wind. I prefer the TDs to the Valk because they handle the wind better. An overstable mid is the most useful for straightish throws in hard winds. For other lines you can power down an overstable driver until it reaches the distance you can get with an overstable putter. If you want a minimal bag. A mid haas the advantage of not skipping as much. But at times having some skip is nice. Jokeri is not that hard fading for short tight turns that have ceilings. If you trust skip shots then it might be enough given those constraints. Does the Zero Pure fly straight far when hyzered or annied before the flight angle kicks in like the Opto does? Or will it turn a lot in a short space unlike the Opto Pure? If it does you don't need anything understable. I would use the FD because you don't have anything inherently understable that moves to the right quickly. Have you putted with a 165-169 Pure yet? That adds glide and reduces the power you need to generate so you'll be more accurate and consistent.

Kiitoksia!

That's very interesting and thank you for your response. Actually I was able to compare TD and Valk today. I'm leaning towards TD as well. If I were to choose an overstable mid, should it be something as aggressive as Hornet or what would you suggest (in this scenario I wouldn't add any overstable putter to the mix)? I hardly ever trust on skip shots.

Zero Pure is able to turn more in a short space unlike Opto Pure. And actually no, I haven't tried putting with a 165-169g Pure. Have to give it a go if I find one of those somewhere. In here the shops tend to focus their selection to 172-175g classes.

Have to think about that FD. Can you explain a bit more about its usefulness and usage? And, could you also give other suggestions for understable discs that move to the right quickly?

Gator is my overstable mid of choice but even the non beaded Gators are tall but they are the best stopping overstable mids. Sentinels are fair at not skipping and not terribly tall and longer than the Zone because their overstability is different. The Zone fades immediately and the Sentinel flies straight for a long while with a hard fade. OTOH the Sentinel and the Wasp are pretty similar but for me the Sentinel feels thinner. I heard that early Hornets weren't as HSS as later ones and i only have an early one. And have never thrown later ones so i don't know how those work. Early ones couldn't handle headwinds. Hornets are fast and tend to skip on landing at high power or when hyzered.

Leopard is the king of straight shots and it is easy to get moving to the right fast and far because the fade is the least out of every driver. The FD is much faster and flips and fades more and goes way farther. Both have a low power requirement. The FD does a wide s-curve at power when released flat or hyzer flipped to flat it fades around like a Teebird but getting farther. FD is good when you don't want to or cannot rip at 100 % power. Frankly i prefer River because it flips and fades less making it a much straighter disc. River is like a longer faster Leopard so it can be made to move to the right quickly too. GL River is less fading than Opto by a little. GL has a tackier grip which is great for all year round use in Finland.

JR said:
Gator is my overstable mid of choice but even the non beaded Gators are tall but they are the best stopping overstable mids. Sentinels are fair at not skipping and not terribly tall and longer than the Zone because their overstability is different. The Zone fades immediately and the Sentinel flies straight for a long while with a hard fade. OTOH the Sentinel and the Wasp are pretty similar but for me the Sentinel feels thinner. I heard that early Hornets weren't as HSS as later ones and i only have an early one. And have never thrown later ones so i don't know how those work. Early ones couldn't handle headwinds. Hornets are fast and tend to skip on landing at high power or when hyzered.

Leopard is the king of straight shots and it is easy to get moving to the right fast and far because the fade is the least out of every driver. The FD is much faster and flips and fades more and goes way farther. Both have a low power requirement. The FD does a wide s-curve at power when released flat or hyzer flipped to flat it fades around like a Teebird but getting farther. FD is good when you don't want to or cannot rip at 100 % power. Frankly i prefer River because it flips and fades less making it a much straighter disc. River is like a longer faster Leopard so it can be made to move to the right quickly too. GL River is less fading than Opto by a little. GL has a tackier grip which is great for all year round use in Finland.

Well that is something to think about indeed, thank you. I'm currently testing Wasp and Hornet, both feels pretty good but I think Elite Z Wasp is going to be overstable enough.

I had a Opto River in test but decided to start using FD instead. If I get a chance I'll give GL a go. How big of an overlap do you think my fairway section has atm as it is? if I were to drop one more disc, is Teebird the smartest choice in order to prevent overlapping?

Latest posts