• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Charlotte, NC January 16th-19th

harr0140

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Ok I decided to start a thread to gather people who may want to join me in Charlotte, NC. I am hoping to play a couple days all day or at least 2-3 courses per day. I want to play the best of the area so as of now I know this includes Winthrop Gold, Elon, Rennaissance and I am sure there are more but those are must plays for me.

Anyone who wants to join me in the Charlotte area let me know via PM that way I have your name in my message box and can easily contact you with more details. I will keep you appraised of my schedule on this thread too as it develops but loosely I will be in Charlotte for a few days and most likely arriving on the 16th and leaving on the 19th.

Looking forward to some NC challenges!

Please get a map or a guide for Winthrop. Navigation is frustrating/impossible without. Remember you can play Gold or Lakefront, or both (2 rounds). The Gold course is really fun without the rope, while still being challenging (especially for people that aren't pros).

Remember there are 2 courses at Elon. Don't dog the long one too much for being new (and perhaps still sloppy wet when you get here). Don't dog the short one too much for being short. Is was designed ESPECIALLY for beginners and kids. The long tees on the short course were added to broaden the audience, and provide ample challenge to Ams and even some Advanced players, but they don't challenge pros too much.

Renny and Hornet's are what are considered the other top courses.

But also fun, especially for lower-than-pros, are Reedy and Kilborne. Both are set in the woods, but they are very mature, beat-in courses with really wide fairways (for being in the woods).

Of course you can get all this info from the reviews, but I was bored! I hope it warms up before you get here, for our sake and yours!

I might be able to come down and join you. It's cold here in Asheville and going south even just 2 hours makes a huge difference. Plus, I get to play new courses. Let me know what you're thinking. I just might have to do it.
DSCJNKY

Please get a map or a guide for Winthrop. Navigation is frustrating/impossible without. Remember you can play Gold or Lakefront, or both (2 rounds). The Gold course is really fun without the rope, while still being challenging (especially for people that aren't pros).

Renny and Hornet's are what are considered the other top courses.

This. Also, watch out for Satan the duck at Winthrop, he's a mean SOB.

I think the Elon Long course will be slammed with Ice Bowls on Sat 16th all day, and Sun 17th after Noon, for your planning purposes.

My new all time favorite course is Elon short course! Hope to return to the area again next year...

I saved Elon for today because of the Ice Bowl and the holiday on monday. My wife (MRS.harr0140) and I played Elon SHort course. I played the longs and shot +8 somehow, then I played Elon Long and shot a 78, while the MRS did some shopping. Then while waiting for her to return I played the shorts on The SHort COurse and ended up shooting -8 with a couple near misses on ace runs. I wanted to play the shorts since I had an ace earlier n the day at reedy in hopes of getting two aces in one day! It didnt happen, but I had a few chances (on 2, 7, 11, and 17) where the disc passed no more than 5 feet from the basket.

Sounds like you had fun in our part of the world. I'm glad. Come back and visit anytime. Hopefully we'll get up next time.

Latest posts