• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Chased some discs with my drone

Fun to watch.

Guess it all depends what you're trying to achieve, but...

I think the video would provide a better sense of the flight path if the drone were to travel in a realtively straight line from a point behind and above the disc, rather than moving around as much as it did.

Just my $0.02 ...may not even be worth that much.

Also: easy for me to say. I didn't have to control the thing.

Last edited:
That's awesome! And what a cool property you have.

Wow that was way more fun to watch than I anticipated.

It would be really nice if Jomez, CCDG, etc. incorporated chasing a disc while showing their drone fly over hole previews. It was cool just watching a disc fly straight to hyzer in an open field (especially with your ability to track the disc while flying around it). It would be awesome watching a flex shot fly through a fairway.

Nice skills! Both on the drone handling and the cinematography.

Fun to watch.

Guess it all depends what you're trying to achieve, but...

I think the video would provide a better sense of the flight path if the drone were to travel in a realtively straight line from a point behind and above the disc, rather than moving around as much as it did.

Just my $0.02 ...may not even be worth that much.

Also: easy for me to say. I didn't have to control the thing.

I could be totally wrong, but I don't think the drone was moving around, I think he had a 360 lens. That's the only way he could keep the disc in frame other than the few times when the throws and the drone were perfectly in-sync, mostly by luck.

I could be totally wrong, but I don't think the drone was moving around, I think he had a 360 lens. That's the only way he could keep the disc in frame other than the few times when the throws and the drone were perfectly in-sync, mostly by luck.

You're probably right. I just found it difficult to fully appreciate the disc's fade as the lens would rotate toward the end.

Maybe it's just me.

It would be really nice if Jomez, CCDG, etc. incorporated chasing a disc while showing their drone fly over hole previews.

Might be interesting to see.

Last edited:
You're probably right. I just found it difficult to fully appreciate the disc's fade as the lens would rotate toward the end.

Maybe it's just me.

Oh, I agree, the "chasing" shots are more satisfying once you get over the wow factor. I just think the 3690 ens makes it seem like there is more control of the follow than there is. To get it "right", it would take some fantastic timing, or maybe less aggressive timing and a better camera, like something in 4K that old allow a satisfactory digital zoom. Not sure what all would be involved.

I'd love to see a top down view of the discs flight. Start with the drone overhead, throw the disc, and let's see the flight. I'd love to see what the flight is for multiple types of shots. All of the companies show their discs' flight from a flat release. What about an overstable disc on a flex line, or a spike hyzer? What about an understable disc on a sweeping hyzer, or a roller? I'd love to see the flight of these discs from a stationary point. If you can do that, I'd love it.

What drone did you use and what is the battery life? I think drone views are pretty cool way to see the flight of a disc as long as the drone doesn't interfere with the flight.

Id say three people required, minimum. A thrower, a pilot, and a gimble operator.

Pilot flys up to thrower during run up, then just goes and avoids hitting things. Gimble operator can track the disc.

Thanks for watching and the comment. I see how you would think it is a 360 cam (especially with the third throw in the video). However its just a go pro hero 7 black doing all the recording. Its actually just stationary on the drone and i am just turning the drone to follow the disc. These freestyle/race drones are really incredible with the agility and the shots they can get.

Thanks again for watching.

Thanks for watching and the comment. I see how you would think it is a 360 cam (especially with the third throw in the video). However its just a go pro hero 7 black doing all the recording. Its actually just stationary on the drone and i am just turning the drone to follow the disc. These freestyle/race drones are really incredible with the agility and the shots they can get.

Thanks again for watching.

Nice piloting! I had no idea one could be that precise and agile with a drone. (And you are right, the throw where you sort of "flipped" over the disc is what made me think it was a 360 cam).

But now I agree with Bogey, I want to see a bunch of drone "follow flights" where the drone shadows the disc, keeping the basket in frame. That would be dope as heck.

Latest posts