• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Chuckers!!

I call them people enjoying a public park. Yes, some are idiots, but there are idiots anywhere you go in this world. I just make sure to pay extra attention to people throwing, pick up any trash I see, and be prepared to skip a hole here or there or wait (oh darn, I have to stand around outside enjoying nature...).

More importantly, I'm thankful for chuckers as they are the ones who buy the vast majority of discs that allow disc companies to have money to produce new molds, sponsor tournaments and players and generally keep the sport growing.

Just my $.02

Early morning is the best time to play disc golf. Only real players are out at that time, and the courses are usually pretty empty.

Amen to that, it just sucks when ya wanna play a round after work around 5 in the summer and its packed with shirtless frat-tastic champ boss throwing chuckers who have no respect and total disregard for anyone and everyone aside from themselves...

Quickest solution for getting away from chuckers: move away from the Northeast and Midwest. Not saying the South and West are chucker-free, just less numerous and far less annoying.

More importantly, I'm thankful for chuckers as they are the ones who buy the vast majority of discs that allow disc companies to have money to produce new molds, sponsor tournaments and players and generally keep the sport growing.

Just my $.02
Your $.02 is wrong on this point. Most chuckers do not buy plastic as it would cut into their beer money too much. Let me restate this again, in case I wasn't clear.

The problem with this thread is that too many people are getting the term "chucker" mixed up with various types of casual players we've all come across. There is a distinction.

And again, in case I wasn't clear....

The problem with this thread is that too many people are getting the term "chucker" mixed up with various types of casual players we've all come across. There is a distinction.

And again, in bold red text, because some of you keep getting the concept wrong....

In short, the term chucker is a pejorative one. Bringing two high speed drivers to the course that one bought at Walgreens does not make one a chucker. Playing in an eightsome because one doesn't know any better does not make one a chucker. Being able to throw only 150' nose up does not make one a chucker.

But that trail of beer cans strewn about your course? That graffiti on the tee signs, that drunken imbicile using the polehole as a urinal? Your favorite driver disappearing from the middle of the fairway? Those drives raining down on your group from a bunch of locals who should know better because they've gotten cussed out for it before and simply don't care? You can thank chuckers for all of those.

So those of you still getting the term chucker mixed up with your run of the mill casual player, get the distinction down before further posting please.

I'm going to ignore scarpfish for the moment and call a chucker anyone on the course I don't already know. That's why I don't play alone on summer evenings. The course I can walk to is pretty open with a relatively low difficulty level, so it will usually have about nine couples or groups on it on any given evening. I agree with playing in the early morning. I've never seen a chucker that early regardless of your definition of chucker. Hell, I've only seen people I know that early, which is the point I was making in the first place. I should be out there with them right now, but Lotus decided to play here last night and keep me up really late.

Termites: they chew up the courses. This refers to the shirtless punk fratboy types throwing their discs with other peoples names inked on them. Drinking cheap beer and being generally disrespectful. Termites.
However, some posts mentioned families throwing or one discers. I love seeing families out. Just skip around them. No biggie. One discers likewise. They don't pose a problem. If a dude is throwing multiple shots, so what? Play through. Go around. Whatever. Your casual round and theirs are the same. It must be tough to throw 500 feet from your high horse.

His point is valid but people are getting confused i think because there is so much overlap between the casual 2 discers and the chuckers he is referring to. More times than not those same 2 or 1 discers are the ones drawing graffiti on that 175 foot hole they aced with a flick from their champ boss and throwing empty beer cans and garbage all over the course. It's a hard distinction to make but it is there.

Your $.02 is wrong on this point. Most chuckers do not buy plastic as it would cut into their beer money too much. Let me restate this again, in case I wasn't clear.

And again, in case I wasn't clear....

And again, in bold red text, because some of you keep getting the concept wrong....

In short, the term chucker is a pejorative one. Bringing two high speed drivers to the course that one bought at Walgreens does not make one a chucker. Playing in an eightsome because one doesn't know any better does not make one a chucker. Being able to throw only 150' nose up does not make one a chucker.

But that trail of beer cans strewn about your course? That graffiti on the tee signs, that drunken imbicile using the polehole as a urinal? Your favorite driver disappearing from the middle of the fairway? Those drives raining down on your group from a bunch of locals who should know better because they've gotten cussed out for it before and simply don't care? You can thank chuckers for all of those.

So those of you still getting the term chucker mixed up with your run of the mill casual player, get the distinction down before further posting please.

I'll post wherever I want, thank you very much.

You know he's right because he has that super lame a$$ guy from the big bang theory as his avatar, oh wait, all of those dudes are lame as hell.

;)

His point is valid but people are getting confused i think because there is so much overlap between the casual 2 discers and the chuckers he is referring to. More times than not those same 2 or 1 discers are the ones drawing graffiti on that 175 foot hole they aced with a flick from their champ boss and throwing empty beer cans and garbage all over the course. It's a hard distinction to make but it is there.

I'm a fan of scarp's so take this as you will, but why does his point matter more than anyone else's? He talks on that post like he was the OP. He wasn't. The OP wasn't clear with the term "chuckers", so unless they are clear with it nobody is going to be wrong in their definitions.

That said, I don't like dealing with these "chuckers" either. But I have never had that issue on a difficult/burly/heavily wooded/extremely hilly course. They go to courses like Mineral Springs, Lakewood, or any nine hole, but if you play something like Sedro Wooley, SeaTac, Bud Pell, etc? I've never had a problem at one of those. I hardly even see other people at all when I play those. The chuckers who do show up probably quit by hole 3.

I call them rooks. As in rookies. I play on a pretty desolate course but I've seen a bunch of groups of college aged kids with shirts off and carrying discs. I don't pass judgement because I have carried 5 or 6 out before I got a bag. Plus, as a poor college student myself, a bag is a month of groceries and to fill it is two. I only get mad at people who litter or throw into your group without warning. We have a big problem with litter because the city took our garbage cans out for winter like no one was going to play. As for people throwing into my group, it has happened once. Someone had thrown an errant shot down a hill and with no idea we were there. Actually clipped my one buddies arm.

So at the risk of public ridicule can I ask what exactly is the definition of a chucker?

Any unfortunate person who happens to be the focus of a juvenile temper tantrum borne of irritability and arrogance.

Contrary to the superficial appearances, this thread has nothing to do with disc golf. It is about the psychology of social groups and superiority complexes.

There are "chuckers" anywhere there are social groups and cliques.

If other posters in this thread approach a group they identify as "chuckers" and ask them "hey what do you call those people that carry around big bags of discs and take forever to line up their shots?", you will get responses that are exactly like what you see in this thread.

Last edited:
If other posters in this thread approach a group they identify as "chuckers" and ask them "hey what do you call those people that carry around big bags of discs and take forever to line up their shots?", you will get responses that are exactly like what you see in this thread.

Now that thread could be fun.

Shoobie is from Appleton. He and I have been playing together since the late 1980s. He still plays. Might have been him on Schweiger that you played with in 98.

"Schwebbie" was likely Brian Schweberger, 12989. 1021 current rating. I don't know him, but I know other NC guys who know him call him Schwebbie.