• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Chuckers!!

Love some of these terms. Here in SC, it's usually the Dudebros. As in, "Do those Dudebros seriously need to hit their pipes before every throw?" However, Dudebro is a pretty specific sort of person. It'll be nice to be able to incorporate Helmets into my vocabulary.

And I am definitely a Hack by that definition.

My problem is the families that have no respect for the game or anyone else around them. They throw while you're still playing the hole (luckily they only throw their Bosses about 150 feet) they try to play the course during big tournaments, they are loud, etc. Etc.

A majority of other sports don't have to deal with those kind of behaviors.

I see the same in ball golf, though the very old guy running around in a golf cart, keep them in line. Bowling the other day and all kinds of families with kids running up and down the lanes and such. Same idea. :wall:

The worst is my local course is right next to a bunch of soccer fields and the little kids and families just walk through the first and second hole. It's like they think we're throwing paper plates that can't hurt them. They literally sit in the middle of the fairway and pick flowers and the parents just watch. Way worse than chuckers.

Your $.02 is wrong on this point. Most chuckers do not buy plastic as it would cut into their beer money too much. Let me restate this again, in case I wasn't clear.

And again, in case I wasn't clear....

And again, in bold red text, because some of you keep getting the concept wrong....

In short, the term chucker is a pejorative one. Bringing two high speed drivers to the course that one bought at Walgreens does not make one a chucker. Playing in an eightsome because one doesn't know any better does not make one a chucker. Being able to throw only 150' nose up does not make one a chucker.

But that trail of beer cans strewn about your course? That graffiti on the tee signs, that drunken imbicile using the polehole as a urinal? Your favorite driver disappearing from the middle of the fairway? Those drives raining down on your group from a bunch of locals who should know better because they've gotten cussed out for it before and simply don't care? You can thank chuckers for all of those.

So those of you still getting the term chucker mixed up with your run of the mill casual player, get the distinction down before further posting please.

Well said. I was a newbie at one time as were all of you guys. I have all the time in the world for newbies or people trying to learn the game. Usually I'll end up giving them some help and/or discs. However, those who litter, don't have any respect for anyone else, and vandalize and/or steal property, don't deserve to have any respect. They should not be allowed to use the course, Public or Private.

I carry my discs in a plastic bag...why? because I spent too much money on discs and can't buy a bag right now....

when I'm only throwing a few discs I don't carry any bag... what's the point if I'm only carrying 3 or 4 discs. '

I've played a lot of ball golf and I also have common sense. Yes there are times Ill throw two or 3 discs off the tee for practice. However I never do it when the course is busy or people are waiting. I also don't really like people behind me or in front of me really. I'm new and I'm a bit slow no point in me holding anyone up and making me feel rushed.

Hate it when people hit in to me, golf, and would never hit into someone else.....same goes for disc golf.

I haven't ran into anyone thats given me any problems or even said anything negative to me. So far everyone's been pretty cool.

^Welcome to the greatest addiction in the world.

Wow, some people really get serious huh? I had a really long post ready, and decided it wasn't worth it.

It just seems that if you take it this serious, and get pissed at people using the park for fun, then you need to re-analyze why you play, and where you play.

Wow, some people really get serious huh? I had a really long post ready, and decided it wasn't worth it.

It just seems that if you take it this serious, and get pissed at people using the park for fun, then you need to re-analyze why you play, and where you play.

Using the park for fun, and being a chucker is not the same. And yea, some of us do take our time at the course more seriously. Especially when we play so infrequently.

:thmbup:

^this.

Using the park for your own enjoyment in your own way is fine. If that means hitting the course with just your Pulsar, go for it.

The problem is when you begin to interfere with others' enjoyment. The same general tenants (don't litter, don't be absurdly obnoxious, and share resources appropriately) apply to all areas of a park, not just the disc golf course.

Using the park for your own enjoyment in your own way is fine. If that means hitting the course with just your Pulsar, go for it.

The problem is when you begin to interfere with others' enjoyment. The same general tenants (don't litter, don't be absurdly obnoxious, and share resources appropriately) apply to all areas of a park, not just the disc golf course.

I wished more people (other than disc golfers) would utilize and implement this thought.

^Welcome to the greatest addiction in the world.

Yeah for real, I guess luckily the disc aren't very expensive as long as you don't start chasing hard to find stuff. Still it adds up quick.

Using the park for fun, and being a chucker is not the same. And yea, some of us do take our time at the course more seriously. Especially when we play so infrequently.

I think, for most people at least, is its more about using common sense and having respect for the people around you more them what you're actually doing or throwing.

I have no problems with casuals wanting to go out and have fun while playing with their buddies and only using one disc. I have no problem that they might not know all the rules and are oblivious to things like OB and foot faults etc. I do have a problem when they descend on a course like a plague of locusts running and screaming and leaving a trail of chaos in their wake. I do have a problem when no effort is made to show a little courtesy to those around them. That is why I avoid busy courses on the weekends.

So at the risk of public ridicule can I ask what exactly is the definition of a chucker?

The most simple definition of a chucker is as followed:

One who has total disregard for everyone around them aside from their own band of goons. They litter everywhere, deface the signs and baskets and no matter how many times you yell at them or try to inform them, they do not have any course etiquette. Generally unpleasant to be around.

To clear up any confusion, not all one discers are chuckers and not all chuckers are one discers. The chucker can be any type of person but they ALWAYS have the criteria posted above.

Don't see a lot of Chuckers when you play DG before breakfast. Except actual Wood Chucks and squirrels :D

Except I do throw high speed drivers, like Vulcan/Katana, even though I can barely get to 300 feet with a Squall or Aftershock Mid-range. So if that counts, I do see myself ;)

The most simple definition of a chucker is as followed:

One who has total disregard for everyone around them aside from their own band of goons. They litter everywhere, deface the signs and baskets and no matter how many times you yell at them or try to inform them, they do not have any course etiquette. Generally unpleasant to be around.

To clear up any confusion, not all one discers are chuckers and not all chuckers are one discers. The chucker can be any type of person but they ALWAYS have the criteria posted above.

I like the definition but not the use of the term chuckers. I think chuckers are one or two levels above the band of goons in JC AceHole's definition. Here in Charlotte, one of our most popular handicapped leagues is called Chuckers. They average about 40 players every Saturday AM and maintain handicaps for well over 200 players--many now playing pro or advanced AM (including the current Pro Women's World Champ). The Charlotte Chuckers league helps transition the casual (or "goon") player into a more structured, competitive environment. Some might still be hackers.

What this tread is complaining about are the "goons" who are driven by testosterone and illegal substances (most eventually either transition from this group, lose interest, or die). As a Charlotte course director, I see a few "goons" but the course thankfully is not in the heavily trafficked social areas.

I see more families trying to learn DG. They are very receptive to suggestions on throwing techniques, what "rules" mean (I find the use of the foul line in bowling to translate to stance requirements), and the etiquette most know through ball golf.

There is no solution to avoid "goon" disc golfers just as there is no solution to avoiding similar "goons" in everyday life.

We call em mob golfers, since they are always in a pack of 6+ and always playing singles, but they have a right to be there as I do. I will destroy someone if they start littering though. That isn't cool. There is a trashcan every other hole for a reason. Vandalism isn't accepted by me either, including sharpieing the baskets with aces.