• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Circle Deuce?

jenb

* Ace Member *
I'm just wondering how you are supposed to record scores on the card when somehting happens like a lost disc being found in another player's bag. In that case, the person who took penalty throws for lost disc is supposed ot have 2 throws removed, and the guy who accidentially picked up the other guy's disc thinking it hiws own is supposed to gain two throws. Do you adjust the score for the hole, or what?

See 804.03D. Basically, penalties like this are just noted and marked after the final hole score and are not part of an individual hole score.

Considering the title of the thread, it begs the question how an individual can earn a circle 2 on a hole?

Seems impossible. Locally (because I know it's different in other places) a circle score means you went OB on a hole. So you're sitting 2, throwing three after the penalty stroke.

-edit- Maybe if the TD suspends penalty strokes for OB throws, unlikely though.

Considering the title of the thread, it begs the question how an individual can earn a circle 2 on a hole?

I was wondering the same thing. However, my local course has a mando to the left of a tree. You can go to the right and get an ace if you have a big enough arm....I would call this a circle deuce.

I've raised this question to several experienced players in the area and they say that a "circle deuce" is impossible. Even if someone would get an ace without taking the mando on this hole, they did not make the mando and would have to shoot for 3 from the drop spot.

All the mandos I've ever seen don't have drop spots skunk. Take Shorewood's hole 5, if you shot right and missed the mando, but went in, I'd call that a circle 2.

"O" = OB. That is, the score you shot -- the number with a circle around it.

Is a "O" 2 possible, is the question.

1. you shoot your drive and it goes OB -- whether missing a mando or going out of bounds.

2. you technically should be shooting "3" from your next shot, granted it's your second throw. you went OB, remember?

....is the circle 2 possible?

If you missed a mando and it went in....and ace in other words, with a mando missed. You can play that right? Wouldn't that be a "O" 2 ???

"O" = OB. That is, the score you shot -- the number with a circle around it.

Is a "O" 2 possible, is the question.

1. you shoot your drive and it goes OB -- whether missing a mando or going out of bounds.

2. you technically should be shooting "3" from your next shot, granted it's your second throw. you went OB, remember?

....is the circle 2 possible?

If you missed a mando and it went in....and ace in other words, with a mando missed. You can play that right? Wouldn't that be a "O" 2 ???

Gotcha. Thanks!

The way I read the rules is once you missed the Mando that shot is done and the missed mando takes precedent over everything else (OB, ace, etc...). So I see no way to get a circle 2. Also I normally don't circle my OB scores I put circles in the corner with the number. I have found that circling the number can sometimes make it difficult to read.

A. A mandatory restricts the path the disc may take to the target. A disc must pass to the correct side of the mandatory before the hole is completed. Once the disc has completely passed the mandatory line on the correct side (even if it subsequently re-crosses the line), the mandatory is to be ignored for the remainder of play on that hole.

C. A disc that has missed the mandatory results in a one-throw penalty and the next throw shall be made from the drop zone, as designated for that mandatory. In cases where the drop zone is not designated, the lie is marked within five meters of the mandatory object and one meter behind the mandatory line which extends from the correct side of the mandatory.

I never read that clause to be honest, in that case, I retract my statement earlier. Circle 2 is impossible, due to the clause for undefined drop zones.

A circle two is not possible because a mandatory is just that, mandatory, it cannot be skipped, without a designated drop zone the play just comes back to the mando, and shoots 3.

\/\/

See 804.03D. Basically, penalties like this are just noted and marked after the final hole score and are not part of an individual hole score.

So you just write it in the margin and adjust the totals, and the TD recognizes that the score is not incorrectly totalled due to the notes in the margin?

What if the "lost disc" was an ace? Yeah, I know; super unlikely. But if the basket is out of sight and player A gets an ace, but it gets recorded as an ace for player B, and Player A retees and gets another ace, what happens?

Does Player A get credit for any aces when his card says he got a three on the hole? What about player B? Does he retain credit for Player A's ace? What if player A's second shot was not an ace? What if player A's first shot was not an ace, but his retee was an ace?

The "circle" is not defined in rules. I've seen it used from lost discs and 2-meter rule---in short, as a mark for penalties.

Thus---if you tee off and foot-fault, and you've already been warned, you'd get the stroke penalty and re-tee. If you "ace" on re-tee, might that not be a "Circle 2"?

It's called a Birdie... like in real Golf. (or in west coast disc golf).

This circling penalties thing has got to go. What happens if you get a tripple circle 8? Now you have three big ass circles on your scorecard. Who wants to see that? How about 3 little "p's" (penalties) neatly scribed next to the number?

Once more disc golf courses move away from the standard Par 54... I think more people will start keeping score like Ball Golf. It looks so much nicer to circle your birdies and square your bogeys... and makes it easier to tally the score at the end.

DSCJNKY

This circling penalties thing has got to go. What happens if you get a tripple circle 8? Now you have three big ass circles on your scorecard. Who wants to see that? How about 3 little "p's" (penalties) neatly scribed next to the number?

Once more disc golf courses move away from the standard Par 54... I think more people will start keeping score like Ball Golf. It looks so much nicer to circle your birdies and square your bogeys... and makes it easier to tally the score at the end.

DSCJNKY

Thank you DSCJNKY, reading through all of the senarios was begining to make my West Coast Disc Golf Brain hurt.

DSCJNKY

The triple-circle-8 is a bullseye. You just have to draw the circles carefully. I keep in practice by throwing O.B. regularly.

Actually, you're right that the "circle=penalties" should be dispensed with. Except that it is so ingrained that it would be tough to do. I've known some players to dispense with marking penalty strokes at all---they just write down their score on the hole, which is what's important.

(I must confess that on our course, with lots of O.B., we take some sick glee in counting the circles!)