• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Clone of pa-4

ViolaBouquet

Eagle Member
My bag is pretty much all Michigan molds (discraft/MVP/Axiom). The only disc that has been in my bag for years that isn't that is the pa4. I use it for putting and long sweeping anhyzers. The shallow rim feels great to just push off. Iiiiiiiiiif I were to try and find a disc similar in feel (shallow/flat top) and similar flight numbers, what is most similar? I'm not in any rush to drop the discs I have, but curious what I might have missed.

My bag is pretty much all Michigan molds (discraft/MVP/Axiom). The only disc that has been in my bag for years that isn't that is the pa4. I use it for putting and long sweeping anhyzers. The shallow rim feels great to just push off. Iiiiiiiiiif I were to try and find a disc similar in feel (shallow/flat top) and similar flight numbers, what is most similar? I'm not in any rush to drop the discs I have, but curious what I might have missed.

It's been a while since I held a PA4. But, if I remember correctly, it is shaped just like a Gateway Magic.

I'm not sure how it compares in terms of how shallow it is, but I remember looking at a PA4 when they came out and laughing that they copied the Gateway Magic for Nikko. In terms of wing shape they seemed the same. I'd be willing to bet that the Magic is deeper than a PA4 since I have Magics and I wouldn't really call them shallow.

"Flat top" I guess I can't comment on since don't basically all putters have a flat top? I mean there are a handful of exceptions like the concave top of a Yeti Aviar and the 86 Softie top, and I guess you could argue a Thumbtrac putter like a Rhyno isn't totally flat. Otherwise, I assume all putters to have a flat top. I don't really recall the PA4 having a distinctive top, so I'm not sure I'd be getting what you are looking for.

If you were looking to stick with a Michigan disc and wanted a putter that you can use for touch anhyzers, I'd check out the Discraft APX. I'm not sure that it really classifies as "shallow" but it's not very deep. The rim design is totally different so you might hate it, but that's the Michigan disc I would suggest.

Last edited:
This is a quest I have also been on for a few years(pa4 alternative, not the Michigan part). The PA-4 is basically a magic clone, but I think the pa4 is better. The top of the magic is a little more curved, and not as squared off. The bottoms feel the same. If you throw 400pa4s then the diamond magics are not really all that close. They are domey, while pa4s tend to be very flat. The gateway shaman in diamond is close in hand feel to a premium pa4, but it's even more shallow. I believe the Lat64 keystone is also similar. Someone else will know more than me about that one. There are also various gateway molded discs that use the magic bottom, but I haven't found one that feels like a pa4. Serpent is close, but groove top and a bit deep/bulky. I was hoping MVP would make a neutron pa4 clone, but I don't think there is one. What plastic pa4s are you throwing?

Last edited:
What plastic pa4s are you throwing?

I'm using the 300 plastic. I used to throw the magic. They felt almost identical, and for some time when Prodigy came out I tried a bunch of them. These replaced the magics and are the oldest discs in my bag... mainly because I lose all the other ones. lol

Based on experience, I'd say a Roach is closest in feel, shape and flight.
Based on flight numbers, maybe the Fierce is closest, but I've never thrown one.

I'm using the 300 plastic. I used to throw the magic. They felt almost identical, and for some time when Prodigy came out I tried a bunch of them. These replaced the magics and are the oldest discs in my bag... mainly because I lose all the other ones. lol

Honestly, it's hard for me to recommend another mold, as I think the pa4 is the best of this type of putter. I know you said you didn't necessarily want to drop it from the bag. The baseline pa4s should be readily available and easy to replace, if you ever need to. I live in perpetual fear of losing my proto pa4, which has been in the bag for ages. If you haven't tried one yet, I would recommend getting just a generic 400 pa4, they're greet for driving in the woods.