• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cold weather gear

what are the ribbons for?

Yep... get about 3-4ft. of ribbon or so, tape it on before your disc or the tape gets cold. I usually tape it right on top in the center, using clear packaging tape. The only thing you have to watch out for is the ribbon getting caught on your arm/clothes when you throw, otherwise it works like a charm.

here in SC it gets chilly, but not bitter cold by Northeast standards. A couple of things I find that works without restraint: Fleece, both the light jacket type, and the vests, Columbia brand especially, or North Face, but the Columbia seems to be less expensive, at least around here. Also I came across the Under Armour type that was the cold gear, but made by Reebok, also great for keeping you warm without restricting. Also the long sleeve T's, but with the mock turtle neck are really good <Woolrich>.
Best thing is to layer depending on the temp, and take off some when you get too warm. Handwarmers also work great.

Under Armor cold Gear, Addidas wind pants, Fleece vest or Hoodie, North Face Rain shell if raining or snowing hard, good thermal socks. Glove on non throwing hand and hot hands in the pocket to keep my throwing hand warm.

The UnderArmor type shirts others have suggested are great, I save money by getting the same thing from Starter or another offbrand so I don't have pay for the name.

Wool socks are another good thing to help keep your extremities warm. I doubt if you'd need them in Austin right now as I'm just about to bust mine out up here in Iowa, but in Jan/Feb you might find them to be nice. Wool is good because even when it's wet it still retains warmth and doesn't make you colder, unlike cotton or other fabrics. Make sure you check to see what they're made of, as some socks say "Wool Blend" and then are like 10% wool (you want 30-40% or more to retain more warmth). The most comfortable ones are merino wool as they are not scratchy like many types of wool you can buy.

These might be too warm for where you're at, but these are the ones I like:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...500000000_999046542?cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL

For weather in the 50's, I usually add a lightweight fleece on my upper body, similar to the North Face Denali jacket, but without the extra mark-up for the North Face logo. For the lower body, long underwear works wonders. If it gets near or below freezing, I just start adding relatively thin layers as needed, upgrade the socks to something like Merino Wool, and bring some gloves, or at least hand warmers to keep in my pockets for the time between throws. I've also found that a raincoat works equally well in wind as in rain as an outer shell over my fleece. A stiff wind can cut right through a lightweight fleece.

Last edited:
It doesn't get cold enough where I live to make me want to wear anything more than 3 layers. I will wear under armor, t-shirt, and a jacket. When it gets down to about 30 degrees I will wear a long sleeved shirt instead of a t-shirt, but never a sweater. For my legs, I will wear a thin layer of pants under my wind pants. Last year I played in the snow for three days and never thought it was too cold.

Man wore my Under Armour Cold Gear out today and just doesn't feel right and screws up my throw even worse then it already is :) Anyone have any probs with range of motion with the super skin tight stuff.

I have the Reebok cold gear, which is a lot like "Long johns" so to speak. It really feels like a long sleeve tee, or fleece sleeves. Doesn't effect my range of motion at all.

to the OP ,nice to see another austinite! I wouldn't stress too much here in austin man. The weather doesn't get too too cold. If ur gonna play the rivery meltdown on the 12th,itll b cold in the morning but last yr it warmed up in the 70's. For 30-50 weather all you really need is some good pants whether they're fleece,sweat or windbreakers. Jeans wil still keep I warm it just depends what's comfortable. I tend to use flece pants when it's to cold for shorts. Also, couple layers of longsleeve shirts,maybe a light fleece jacket. Just a crew necksweatshirt, or a light hoodie. If I wear shorts I wear long wool socks or some seal skins. There's not much preparation for the temps it gets down here really. For ur hands though I recommend getting hand warmer packets and keep em in ur pockets or jacket. When ur not throwing put ur hands in there n warm em up. After several throws the blood will get movin in ur hands and ull warm up. Hopefully the meltdown will be nice like it was last yr. Maybe ull see me around @ the tourney.

Man wore my Under Armour Cold Gear out today and just doesn't feel right and screws up my throw even worse then it already is :) Anyone have any probs with range of motion with the super skin tight stuff.

I have worn the UA cold gear stuff with layers on top and have not noticed any restrictions.

or wear under armor like some have suggested if you don't want to wear a jacket. It's not too bad man,besides the real cold doesn't even come til jan/feb anyway lol. I play all yr long and it hasn't ever been too cold to play unless it's a night round in 25° with 20mph winds. No sir!

Here in Central Iowa it can get f'ing cold and snowy ..... Here's my cold weather lineup

Head and Upper Body

UA Cold Gear Arctic Beanie
under-armour-arctic-beanie-navy.jpg

UA Cold Gear Thermal Top
under-armour-cold-gear-mock-long-sleeve-black.jpg

North Face TKA 100 Fleece
12575-large1.jpg

Champion C9 Softshell
AAAAAmCQOfQAAAAAAJG6MA.jpg

Depending on the the temp and conditions I will wear either the fleece or softshell alone; In severe temps and wind I'll wear both.

Hands and Lower Body

Football Handwarmer (instead of gloves)
Handwarmer.jpg

UA Cold Gear Thermal Pants
Under%20Armour%20Cold%20Gear%20Action%20Mens%20Compression%20Legging%200525.jpg

Quicksilver lined Snowboarding Pants
DRILL8KINSPANT_SMK1.jpg

UA Synthetic Wool Wicking Socks
ARM4531.jpg

Keen Growler Boot
shoes_iaec1093862.jpg

Again depending on the temps and conditions I will either wear the Snowboard pants alone or pair them with the thermals.