• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Comet and truths? Or comet and aftershocks?

lines

Double Eagle Member
I don't throw many midrange shots during a round. I rely on wizards for many of those. I throw a banshee at slower speeds for OS mid shots. Truth or aftershock? I'm gonna learn the intricacies of the comet... It needs a friend.

Last edited:
The Buzzz is a beadless Wasp. The bead does make thw shoulder mold up a bit different. The Wasp feels much better in the hand.

Truth/Emac Truth is more like a straight shorter fairway driver in flight rather than a more stable Comet pairing. So if you want something to hit the low ceilings the Comet can't and push down a tunnel, this may be good. If you want something to throw the same way as a Comet but hold your angle or end with more hyzer, then these fly in a pretty different way. I have no idea on the Aftershock.

Truth/Emac Truth is more like a straight shorter fairway driver in flight rather than a more stable Comet pairing. So if you want something to hit the low ceilings the Comet can't and push down a tunnel, this may be good. If you want something to throw the same way as a Comet but hold your angle or end with more hyzer, then these fly in a pretty different way. I have no idea on the Aftershock.

I like that way of thinking.

I don't throw many midrange shots during a round. I rely on wizards for many of those. I throw a banshee at slower speeds for OS mid shots.

Do you really need a midrange? What are those ``midrange shots'' you want to have it for? Can't you throw your more straightish fairway driver at slower speeds for the non-OS mid shots you cannot reach with the Wizards?

Just curious ...

Do you currently throw any mids, and if so, what?

I always paired Comets with KC Rocs. They feel similar too. I also think the Wasp is better than the truth as a pairing.

I tried the Truth for a while, to me it flies like a shorter fairway and I never liked that I couldn't gauge distance with it. Lot's of people like the glide and are always yapping about how far the Truth goes, but for me, mids are about accuracy, not distance and un-range-able glide.

The huge difference in feel between the Comet and Truth would bother me a lot. Comets and aftershocks are great together. Same with Rocs. Feel is similar enough, but you get different flights out of them. The aftershock has more distance potential than the Roc in my opinion, so that little extra separation gives it the nod in my bag. The Truth also flies very odd when you take power off of it, more like a very slow fairway than a true midrange/multipurpose disc.

Last edited:
To me the best pairing would be a roc3. I used to throw comets and ranchos together. But there is a detectable speed difference. Comet was faster out of the hand. Picking up a nice os roc3 (metal flake, eo gstar, etc) is a great complement to the comet. Or possibly a MJ comet for the subtle more stability. Loving the esp glo comets.

Do you currently throw any mids, and if so, what?

I was bagging 2 Truths and a stingray. What you said about accuracy compared to distance makes sense. (I want to throw mids 350... But, i don't have to)

I was bagging 2 Truths and a stingray. What you said about accuracy compared to distance makes sense. (I want to throw mids 350... But, i don't have to)

I'd look at it this way...you like throwing putters, so when do you want to use a mid? When the putter isn't far enough, or when there's too low of a ceiling, or both? Do you throw speed 7ish fairways or 9ish fairways? So basically do you want your mids to act like your putter + distance/glide, like the Comet, or like a fairway - speed/distance/fade, like the Truth?

I can definitely see someone who loves throwing putters leaning on a Comet as the putter + 30-50' midrange and maybe having something else for low ceilings when that putter/Comet can't hit but you don't want to go up to a fairway. If you already use a stable-overstable fairway for this distance range with hyzer or wind and don't feel a gap in the bag, then I guess you don't have a gap. But in the future if you throw the Comet a lot and wish you could have it hold an angle in wind or resist more turn, that's when a more stable version would make sense.

Truth isn't much different than a Comet in terms in turn and fade. I'd go with something more OS.

Rocs and Vectors are pretty good bets since they have a similar rim, Wasp if you want to stick to Discraft. Suspect could work too, but it's got a very different feel.

Truth isn't much different than a Comet in terms in turn and fade. I'd go with something more OS.

Rocs and Vectors are pretty good bets since they have a similar rim, Wasp if you want to stick to Discraft. Suspect could work too, but it's got a very different feel.

When you don't throw 70MPH the extra speed and ground push of a Truth makes it carry down low ceilings way farther than a Comet ;)

Agreed about everything you said about stabilities and discs though.

The truth has so much less glide....and all the fade is all dump... yeah, horrid pairing.

Latest posts