• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

cool/odd Art for the course..?

moose-mdg

""Supporting The Legacy""
Anyone have any cool ideas of gimmicky stuff to add to the course..? i have seen the large post that has arrows point towards different great courses around the country with mileage ... maybe some faces on some trees..? i got some unique benches out on the course and plan to put more but i was looking for some ideas of stuff that you guys have seen on courses...thanks

What sort of scale are we talking here? My local course has a snake sculpture that doesn't necessarily come into play but is cool to look at...

0c56b54e.jpg

Any sort of sculpture carved from a log, metal sculpture, or even some sculpture local artists make from re-purposed trash. Personally, I like rasta scarecrows with dreadlocks.

Peace_Trunks_700.jpg

These used to be at Horning's Hideout, till some D-bags broke one of the fingers off.:wall:

The BlueAngel-Palmetto course in Pensacola has a number of disconnectedly odd pieces of 'artwork"---a huge old Dutch bell that hangs 12' up in the fairway, right in the hyzer line; a decommissioned John Deere tractor[with simulated side of a barn] near a pin; a "tire" tree; a crawfish boiling shack between #s 13-14, with propane and water available; big concentric rings around a pin, to prevent sliding or skipping; a 15' tall wooden dg basket at the entrance to the complex; and a beercart that delivers, truly a work of art.:clap:

I wish I still had the pic, but someone built a rather large snowman on top of no9 basket at idlewild over the winter. It must have taken a couple strong fellas to get that thing on there. The bottom ball must have been at least 2-3ft across.

Teebox at the Oasis(private course) made with huge chess pieces from a movie set:

attachment.php

Also, the Horning's Hideout and Enman Field art is awesome!

Last edited:
We have a telephone pole that used to be part of the playground that was there before, it is a tiki totem and its laid down and used as a bench for two holes. Its pretty awesome

http://www.discgolfscene.com/courses/Flip_City/Hole_11/32451

I don't think there is anything you can do cheaper or cooler than rock stacks like flip city has.

I'm not trying to be a dick, just thought I'd offer a tidbit of info. That's actually called a cairn. I agree, they're definitely cool looking and easy to do.

As far as what I've seen, the Timberdoodle Thicket in WV has a motion activated thingy attached to the pole of the last basket so when you hole out, it laughs or screams or makes some weird noise. Really surprised me at first.

A couple of tables behind the #1 teebox on my home course. They were made by cutting cedar trees off at table height and then screwing a 5' spool table on top. The bi-plane flying in the background was made by a local metal artist.

Hole1Tables_zpsb95f2d0d.jpg

Cool but they may eventually start to rejuvenate from the buds beneath the table top . . . or from the ground. Either way I think they are cool . .. sustainability may be another issue.

A bench made from an oak branch bolted to a couple of rocks. Glow stones are imbedded in the top and can be seen seen during night rounds.

Bench1_zps62592ca9.jpg

Cool but they may eventually start to rejuvenate from the buds beneath the table top . . . or from the ground. Either way I think they are cool . .. sustainability may be another issue.

No regrowth yet, but cedar does tend to rot at the rootline after a few years. No worries though, cause the tables took almost no time to make.

Latest posts