• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cool Private Tourney Format

Anytime. It does sound like a fun thing to do with friends. We used to get up at 2-3:00am to go deer hunting. not everybody understands that going to bed early and getting up before sunrise can be a good time too. Playing a glow round at 4:00am doesn't seem like such a big deal, and in the summertime, the cool morning hours before the sun gets all the way up are the best time to play anyway.

Nate, I think the reason you are getting the weird feedback here is because your format just seems really difficult to learn. As I read it, it seemed very complicated. "First you have 6 teams of 3. THEN you make teams of two. BUT they are from other teams! THEN you flip and decide who has to eat 72oz of steak. SO NOW you have 6, 4 person 2 person opposing teams AND they play with each other, BUT against each other! THEN we play the course backwards! Oh, AND we start at 4AM! DID I MENTION the flying monkeys?!"

Not making fun of your format, as I'm sure many of us were legitimately trying to follow it, but curveball after curveball lost my interest in fully understanding it.

Nate, I think the reason you are getting the weird feedback here is because your format just seems really difficult to learn. As I read it, it seemed very complicated. "First you have 6 teams of 3. THEN you make teams of two. BUT they are from other teams! THEN you flip and decide who has to eat 72oz of steak. SO NOW you have 6, 4 person 2 person opposing teams AND they play with each other, BUT against each other! THEN we play the course backwards! Oh, AND we start at 4AM! DID I MENTION the flying monkeys?!"

Wait, there's 72 oz. of steak involved? And flying monkeys?

Sign me up! :D

Not making fun of your format, as I'm sure many of us were legitimately trying to follow it, but curveball after curveball lost my interest in fully understanding it.

i said 3...6 man teams playing 2 different yet similar rounds of disc golf at different times of day with simple but fair disc selection restrictions with 3 shots per pair per swing to be scored by places because doubles are made from 2 players of separate teams.

Which ever player has the lowest combined placing rank due to the tournament placing is a winner for lowest rank. Several people could place.

Ultimately, the tournament is decide by the lowest scores of the three teams wins even if other teams were part the same nuclear disc golf effort.

nothing wrong with getting along with the enemy of my enemy;)

now lets play disc golf amongst friends with these rules:D

Last edited:
I say boy, Nate explains disc golf tourney structure:

Nate, as someone who proposed a difficult to understand format on here once and got a similar reception, I wish you the best should you try to go forward with this.

That being said, the maxim "keep it simple stupid" has a lot of fans for a reason.

I read it a few times, but dont understand the format. I will be on a team with 5 others. There will be two seperate teams so we have teams a, b, c. I am on team "a" but will be throwing with someone from team b? and how do you keep score now that I am with b?

I'm still not sure how you're going to score this, and I even understood most of Sidewinder's Turbo Encabulator video. Just hold the thing, then post the results. That'd probably help anyone (myself included) who isn't completely clear on what you're trying to do.

there are some unique ideas, but you can not just expect everyone to high-five you. Each time someone criticizes you, you get very defensive. Run your tourney and I hope you all have a blast, let us know how it goes, but don't ask for advice and berate the people who give it to you.

Nate, fwiw, I understood your proposed format (I think). 4AM would be a big turnoff for me but if you have enough folks located close enough by to fill it then go for it. I don't believe Midnightbiker was insulting you, he was just being honest. I think Prerube said it best (above) about handling perceived criticism.

I'm still not sure how you're going to score this, and I even understood most of Sidewinder's Turbo Encabulator video. Just hold the thing, then post the results. That'd probably help anyone (myself included) who isn't completely clear on what you're trying to do.

I will have to just document everything that occurs during the tournament.

I guess I am trying to find an amazing Ryder Cup format of playing the game, but in a way that intermixes the teams. I know the competitive end to this just doesnt sound right or even competitive. I am just looking at the other players I envision in this larger grouping of players and the whole tourney experience would get very interesting. Let's just say, if you can't play at atleast the Am 1 level, than you are not going to get the invite.

As for the third shot each pair will take every up, this is just to make for extremely good scores and a chance to get the most out of already a descent crew of players. I like the drama of who is going to take the third shot. I usually like sticking with who's hot. Some players are solid drivers, approach, or putters. Let the pair determine what they want to do, but in doing so, their outcome will effect the scores of not just one, but two teams.

During the round, if there is 6 players, or 3 pairs assigned to play together. There will always be one group within the groups that the individual does not want to do well. This pair is the group that the individual has no team mates on. But then my partner will be routing for them, since one of the players will obviously be from their team. Just trying to create an environment where being supportive, yet competitive gets scurred. I think it will bring out the better shots overall.

I understand a little bit better now. I guess if you had alot of good players this would be pretty fun. Not sure about the 4am though. I would love to play at night though.