• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Corona Virus and Leagues

I hate to break it to people, there are tons of corona viruses. They happen every year. This is just a novel (new) one. But hey, panic sells.

From a league perspective, the $$ handling wouldn't be as concerning for me as some other ... habits. Use common sense, this isn't even a highly contagious virus from what can be seen so far.

The stock market has been proof of that lately.

China had to shut everything down to reverse their infection numbers. Italy tried to avoid that and then ended up doing so anyway. In another week or so we'll see if the halfass measures Seattle has tried so far are effective or if exponential growth turns a corner and stuff gets real.

Maybe I'll have a package of toilet paper as a CTP prize. Should help turnout

We did this last season for league. Each card marked the ****tiest shot on each hole, added them up. Everyone got a roll for every ****ty shot. Went over very well....in the long run, most players would rather have a roll of TP than another disc for the garage.

Not really related to leagues, but the College Disc Golf National Championship has been postponed indefinitely.

Chit's getting real. Seems all sorts of events that draw a large crowd are being postponed, if not cancelled. I don't like it, but I'd much rather we err on the side of caution.

Chit's getting real. Seems all sorts of events that draw a large crowd are being postponed, if not cancelled. I don't like it, but I'd much rather we err on the side of caution.

It's not erring on the side of caution. It's doing necessary actions to disrupt viral spread, though all of *this* should have been done 5, 7, 9 days ago.

We had a club meeting tonight. Definitely a topic of conversation. We discussed any action we might need to take for our next couple tournaments, one being one of our big A-Tier events.

Through it all, the agreement seemed to be...if the PDGA cancels sanctioned events, we would be in immense financial trouble. Having already worked with Discraft to procure merch our early A Tier, season raffle items and refurbishment of our club inventory, much of that could be dead money, if unable to move it quickly. Not to mention the other stellar player pack merch that we would get stuck with. Tentatively discussed amending our refund policy and actions we might take for our leagues and non sanctioned events.

It was a lively part of the meeting. Sure are weird and crazy times.

Longer than that. They did that China travel ban and then twiddled their thumbs for 5 weeks...

I'm with you. But even meaningful social distancing (what a dumb term) a week ago would have meant a significant lessening of the surge placed on our public health infrastructure that's now imminent.

We had a club meeting tonight. Definitely a topic of conversation. We discussed any action we might need to take for our next couple tournaments, one being one of our big A-Tier events.

Through it all, the agreement seemed to be...if the PDGA cancels sanctioned events, we would be in immense financial trouble. Having already worked with Discraft to procure merch our early A Tier, season raffle items and refurbishment of our club inventory, much of that could be dead money, if unable to move it quickly. Not to mention the other stellar player pack merch that we would get stuck with. Tentatively discussed amending our refund policy and actions we might take for our leagues and non sanctioned events.

It was a lively part of the meeting. Sure are weird and crazy times.

This is the ****storm happening in literally every industry tight now. I know corporate event planners that are essentially out of business already and scrambling to find a new formats to offer groups. I work at a ski area and we are considering ending our season early, and we are not the only ones. Supply chains are in shambles around the globe and honestly this fallout is going to be insane over the next few months. We haven't even felt the first ripples of this yet realistically, we're just hearing about them. Wait until the major metro areas get hit, medical services bottleneck and people start to actually panic!

Every industry is about to take a massive hit either directly or indirectly. I truly hope in a few months we're still complaining about inconveniences.

https://www.pdga.com/announcements/college-disc-golf-national-championship-postponed

It's starting to cascade now. Any event needing a permit from local officials is in jeopardy. I wouldn't want to be a TD planning a big A tier right now.

The College Championships is a slightly unique event in that everything is at the whim of universities. The course is on a university campus, so if Winthrop doesn't want people there, there's nothing anyone can do about it. Additionally, all of these teams are representatives of their own universities. If their university puts a freeze on any affiliate teams/clubs traveling, then those teams are SOL. The administrations don't want teams traveling away, contracting the virus on the trip, and then coming back and spreading it to 15,000 more people in the cess-pool of campus life.

This is the ****storm happening in literally every industry tight now.

Every industry is about to take a massive hit either directly or indirectly. I truly hope in a few months we're still complaining about inconveniences.
Agreed, but some industries will get hit harder than others. Really impossible to say how all this will play out.