• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

courses in the St. Louis Area... safety?

Thanks, though I was mainly thinking of the different standards of safety that come into play when we're talking about children. There are plenty of places I'll go, and things I'll do, that I wouldn't with small children. Especially if I have safer option to choose.

I've no doubt there are white disc golfers who equate "bad neighborhood" with "black neighborhood", but it's also possible that when people say "unsafe", they actually mean---unsafe. Or, at least, less safe. Nothing more.

If I were to give you one course to avoid it would be Endicott.
Don't get me wrong, dozens of people play that course everyday with no issue.
I do not feel unsafe there or in the surrounding neighborhood (I have walked from the Metro stop a few times.)
However, I have had more incidents there than any other course, and I only go a few times a year.
(I am willing to give bad luck it's due)
The last time I was there the local cops cornered a shooting suspect on hole 12.
Twice i have dealt with obnoxiously drunken golfers are cards in front of or behind me.
And I was bitten by a dog in the nuts on hole 13.

Again, I like the place, and chances are you could play there with no issue, but yeah.

I am not from St.Louis but I have now lived just south of downtown for 5 years, St. Louis gets a bad rap.

That's pretty much what is ALWAYS meant. So for the OP, if that's your concern, you'll want to avoid the Ferguson course.

Maybe that's what it ALWAYS meant to you. Most of the disc golf courses stuck in parks with bad reputations have nothing to do with the color of the people doing sketchy stuff in the woods. The ethnicity of a crackhead has no effect on how much I would want to keep my kids away from them.

FWIW - I played Jefferson Barracks, Wilmore, Quail Ridge, Indian Camp Creek and El Shaddai Ranch... no issues with any of them. Quail Ridge, Indian Camp, and El Shaddai all seemed like particularly decent parts of town, and at El Shaddai, you're almost guaranteed not to come across ne'er do wells... it's on the grounds of a youth ministry, or something along those lines.

Last edited:
That's pretty much what is ALWAYS meant. So for the OP, if that's your concern, you'll want to avoid the Ferguson course.

This a foolish thing to say, and shows that at the time of posting, the poster had no true idea about Ferguson, or the disc course there. Hudson Park is a nice hidden little course to play, and believe it or not, the area is integrated, and so are the people eho do recreational things there. No one fels unsafe there, unless playing the day after a massive rain.:\