• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] CRANK!

I just picked up a Zflx and it is way more stable than I expected. I'm throwing around 375 and it flies very similar to my fuzion defender. Is this normal? I was trying to get something with some turn.

Z-FLX, as with all very flexible plastics, have the most inconsistencies, especially with high speed drivers. I have a tourney run Cryztal FLX Crank that is beefier than a Nuke OS.

Get an X. Even if it starts out the same stability as your ESP, it'll quickly develop turn. Or a slightly lighter ESP?

I just picked up a Zflx and it is way more stable than I expected. I'm throwing around 375 and it flies very similar to my fuzion defender. Is this normal? I was trying to get something with some turn.

Z FLX is really poor plastic for glide and distance. I've hated every driver I've ever thrown in that plastic.

As for wanting a Crank with less fade, try a Shryke. I find the Shryke quite a bit longer than the Crank. Less hooky fade and better glide.

Z FLX is really poor plastic for glide and distance. I've hated every driver I've ever thrown in that plastic.

As for wanting a Crank with less fade, try a Shryke. I find the Shryke quite a bit longer than the Crank. Less hooky fade and better glide.

Problem is that I really like the flexible plastics in drivers. Probably why I mostly throw Gstar destroyers. Stiff plastics feel like I can never get a good grip on them and they slip out of my hand.

Problem is that I really like the flexible plastics in drivers. Probably why I mostly throw Gstar destroyers. Stiff plastics feel like I can never get a good grip on them and they slip out of my hand.

G* works great for drivers. FLX does not. The stuff feels good in your hand, but it flies really badly.

FLX is very frustrating stuff.

G* works great for drivers. FLX does not. The stuff feels good in your hand, but it flies really badly.

I'm pretty happy with my Zflx heat that I have. Is the best bet for consistency to just try to find some regular Z with some give to it?

That's too bad. I've been on an Innova driver kick but those ESP FLX preds on infinite were tempting.

I guess I am lucky, I have been beating in an ESP crank from 3 years and couldn't be happier with it.

I would try a lighter ESP Crank, a Nuke SS or even a Crank SS. But the Crank SS might be a little bit too close to Thrasher.

I'm pretty happy with my Zflx heat that I have. Is the best bet for consistency to just try to find some regular Z with some give to it?

The Heat is the ONLY driver I've tried in Z FLX that flew decent. Mine will turn, but I won't call it overly flippy. Good glide out to near 400' and very straight.

Z-FLX works great for putters or mids (zone is amazing). But drivers it's too glideless to get the true qualities out of it.

My big Z crank is the most workable / reliable. I've got a flat first run Z that is force stable. And I bought a light 164g X crank for fun, and that thing bombs. It's basically like a faster + longer heat. No good for wind days though!

I just rediscovered my ESP crank which was one of the first drivers I ever tried. Now that I'm a touch more skilled, I'm seeing this disc in a whole new light, and it's even better than the nuke SS I lost the other day as a less stable nuke that still holds up in winds better than a thrasher. I love how easy thrashers are to throw well, and I'm not quite strong enough to get the most of a nuke except in a headwind, but this crank tops my distance numbers and was a fun surprise find today.

I just rediscovered my ESP crank which was one of the first drivers I ever tried. Now that I'm a touch more skilled, I'm seeing this disc in a whole new light, and it's even better than the nuke SS I lost the other day as a less stable nuke that still holds up in winds better than a thrasher. I love how easy thrashers are to throw well, and I'm not quite strong enough to get the most of a nuke except in a headwind, but this crank tops my distance numbers and was a fun surprise find today.

Cranks are pretty good drivers that seem to fly under the radar. I also agree they're a better disc than Nuke SSs are. Same general flight, but far less touchy.

I've had a couple freakishly overstable Cranks, but for the most part they fly how they should.

When the Crank was first released, I was a bit skeptical of another high speed US driver promising to improve distance for noodle arms, so I didn't even throw one for at least a year after they came out. :doh:. It's one of my longest molds.

Now I bag a Big Z, X, and D Crank. I find the different plastics provide a nice range of stabilities that are quite useable for me. None turned for me when new (assuming no/calm wind), but it didn't take long to get to where:
...Baseline turns nicely (already gone through or lost a few of these).
...X goes pretty straight (turns with decent headwind).
...Z only turns with a stiff headwind.

As they wear, if the baseline just becomes too beat to throw effectively, I might bump them down a slot, add a fresh Z or Cryztal as my new "OS" Crank.

Got at least 4-5 Z's plus a Cryztal with various tourney and club stamps that have never thrown. Pretty sure I have a backup X or two, also.

I've been looking at some Cranks but don't know what I would need...

I throw my Wraiths 350-370 (400 max), and don't know if something faster but maybe a tick less stable would be good for me. I've toyed with Shrykes and the Star ones I've thrown are a bit touchy, so I'm hoping the Crank can fill that max distance role for me.

From what I can gather here, the Cranks to get are the domey ones? I've got my eye on some domey ESP ones around 167-170g, just making sure those tend to be the ones that bomb.

I've been looking at some Cranks but don't know what I would need...

I throw my Wraiths 350-370 (400 max), and don't know if something faster but maybe a tick less stable would be good for me. I've toyed with Shrykes and the Star ones I've thrown are a bit touchy, so I'm hoping the Crank can fill that max distance role for me.

From what I can gather here, the Cranks to get are the domey ones? I've got my eye on some domey ESP ones around 167-170g, just making sure those tend to be the ones that bomb.

Cranks tend to be a little more stable than Shrykes. Most Cranks I've seen aren't overly domey. They tend to be flatter. That said, if you can find domey ones, get them.

You should notice more turn and distance with a Crank vs. a Wraith.

Crank

Time to talk about the Crank for the first time in a while.

This is a mold I've dabbled with here and there, but never really fallen in love with. I feel like most Cranks are somewhat beefy and lack glide. They can be borderline disappointing, and have very seldom really impressed me.

Anyway, I tried a 162g ESP Crank yesterday. I've never seen a Crank that light in any plastic. Very, very good bomber. Not as flippy as the light weight would make you think, but once I got it turned it drifted subtly for days before wanting to fade. I've seen 150g star Destroyers do this as well. Somewhat resistant to turning, but they absolutely bomb once you get over on them.

I almost hit 500' with this Crank, which is very long for me, and much longer than I've ever thrown a Crank before.

Anyone wanting a really nice, mellow distance bomber might want to look at lightweight Cranks. I was surprised how good this disc was, and that it wasn't super flippy. Stability reminded me of a Raider.

Latest posts