• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

crappy discs does it take distance off the throw

fbj2361

Bogey Member
if you have a lot of discs that are 7/10 how much worse if any is that compared to a 10/10

ok i can buy some new discs. that is basically what i made this thread for

There's nothing wrong with a 7/10 driver. Hysell's just trying to get you to buy more discraft. (he dabbles in dealing)

I would say that depends on whether the disc is still doing what you want it to. And if it's not can you use it for another type of shot. If both those answers are no then I would use it for a water disc or throwing over an overlook... Not that I have ever done that :D. I imagine unless you are using DX or similar plastic they should have a pretty good life.

As discs beat in, they will get more understable so you'll have to release them with more hyzer.

One of my DX Teebird has made it from closer to 8/10 down to about 7/10 and its just starting to be more awesome. Dead straight still and almost no fade. Time to get my other one going and get more.

what garublador said, when they get to that range for me I dont know that there is any true scientific explanation (pertaining directly to the disc not the thrower) as to why they fly further for me, but I can say that I throw them further. My assumption is that after repeated use the polymer bonds begin to break down slightly before settling into their final state (which probably occurs after a usual disc gets to the 7/10 state) which leaves them more under stable compared to a new one. As a disc becomes more under stable you begin to gain control with it which is where I think the added distance may come from as you can throw it on the best line for max D much easier.

these are all assumptions though other than the fact that I throw my broken in discs further than my new ones in the same mold.

Seems to me that some discs fly better as they break in. My beat Teebirds and Rocs are a little longer, my Surges break in really nicely and I had an old beat to Hades predator that would bomb and still had enough stability to fight a pretty strong headwind.
I definitely don't think it takes any distance off of your throw, but the flights do change a bit and you need to adjust the release angle accordingly.