• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cycling rocs

luckyeagle404

So iv heard from a lot of really great players in my area and on here that cycling rocs is the way to go for a midrange. Any body care to tell me how? What's the best plastic, how do you know when to cycle in another? And, I'm working on minimalising my bag. Will a beat roc work for a straight mid and a new roc for windy or hyper shots?

Rocs can be anything from slightly overstable (brand new) to super flippy (old and beat). You definitely can throw hyzers with them, but I wouldn't consider them a good disc for strong headwinds. You probably could use Rocs in different stages of wear and one of these for overstable mid: Gator/Q-Sent/Hornet/Drone. Some people use champ rocs for that overstable spot, but I don't even like those for driving into headwinds.

I assume you are talking about KC or DX Ranchos.

Best for cycling: DX. Starts off a bit overstable, is able to handle winds, will beat in to totally straight, and then on to easily controlled understability. KC Roc does the same, but starts off more overstable and takes longer to wear.

You know it's time to cycle on to the next one when your current one can't do its original job anymore. When your overstable Roc gets too straight, you make that your straight Roc and put in a new overstable one. When your straight Roc gets too understable, you make that your understable Roc. It's best to try and wear several at a time so you always have some in each stability.

I don't use Rocs myself, but other than that I do like this procedure. I do it with both my C-MD2s as well as my D-MD2s. I always prefer seasoning more stable discs to handle less stable jobs, because they tend to be very consistent when they get there. Much better than trying to find a disc for every stability separately, then getting stuck because you can't find that exact discs in the right stability, just due to manufacturing variations.

Hey All
Cycling DX Rocs is my M.O. I think it offers a few advantages over having one overstable, understable, stable mid in premium plastic. I buy 3 at a time and throw them for 4 to 6 months until they start to straighten out. I then get three more repeat etc. In the long run I probably pay more, even at 7 bucks each but for 63 bucks I have 9 discs to field practice with and if I lose one I have an replacement. DX is also grippy in the rain. I do carry a KC for wind. Question I have yet to have answered: I recently tried a champ roc 3. Why do DX rocs of the same weight glide further?
SD

I too am a cyclist. Buzzzes in my case, in candy plastic. I keep 4 in the bag, each with its own slot of stability.

I use candy discs (Z and X) because I like these blends of plastic best and they last the longest. As a disc ages it becomes flippier, better understood and more valuable to me. In winter I don't want to worry about cracking a worn-in disc, which is much more likely with base plastic.

Understanding how long it takes to break candy plastic in I have numerous backups which I use for practice, including an entire set which are in my glow bag. We all recognize that certain shots are high risk for smashing trees. I take this factor into account when choosing which disc to throw. I know which discs I want to beat in more and which have the exact degree of stability for the slot they fill.

There are high risk shots where the risk is losing a disc ( water, deep leaves, certain snow conditions, etc.). These are perfect times to use backups. They get more seasoning, you learn them better and you save the 1st string from danger. Before embarking on a round I pull out all my discs, make sure nothing is missing and add risk discs based on the particular dangers of the course that day.

If you search long enough you can find runs which happen to be more or less stable. I always want a bright color and a flat top on my Buzzzes. ( I don't even test a disc in a bad color or too domey. No matter what it does I don't want it in my bag). I have found that X plastic is usually the least stable (and breaks in the quickest) and Z plastic which is moderately domey is less overstable than flat top Z. The good thing is a moderately domey disc will naturally flatten with age and use.

The disc you are most likely to lose is the least stable one. It flips around a corner and goes out of sight. The angle it lands on buries more easily than a straight shot or a hyzer. This is why God invented spotters.

Great point Mark on knowing when to throw your 1st stringers. This is the exact reason that I went away from cycling though. I found myself in the woods or around water wanting to throw my seasoned rocs, but scared to dunk one or wrap one around a tree. I have been testing out the Comet/Fugitive/Zone combo so I can buy an instant replacement that wont take as much seasoning. As much as I love Rocs, Innova's inconsistency has aggravated me to the point of looking for more consistent alternatives.

Latest posts