• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dark colored Rit

jivey311

Eagle Member
Dark Green, Dark Brown, Navy Blue...Anybody else find these colors extremely dark? I just used them on a few discs and they are really close to black after 20ish minutes of dip.

Any way to "lighten" it up? Yellow?

It also looks lighter straight out of the pot, so I think I want to leave it in for a little more. But after a few minutes of setting, it looks darker.

I've used yellow to lighten up green dyes a few times. It usually works but you have to be careful how long you let the green sit in the dye. after its set I'm afraid I haven't found much lightening using yellow.

apoth, do you find you have to let it sit in tan for a long time? I don't usually get a good color with tan without a second quick dip in a cocoa brown or red for more a flesh color.

tbh i havent really used tan all that much. just seemed like a better option than dark/cocoa brown in this case.

Maybe my mix is too concentrated. I used about 2.5 cups of water to 1 packet of powder rit.

What are your formulas?

I use the liquid Rit, about 1/8 Cup to a gallon.

Also, check your dip every few minutes if you're afraid it's getting too dark.

I actually like using the Dark Green for my Blacks. The black I've been using lately is a little too purple for me. The Navy contrast nicely against the royal blue. Never used brown, but I have used tan and it gave me a nice light brown dye.

Maybe my mix is too concentrated. I used about 2.5 cups of water to 1 packet of powder rit.

What are your formulas?

I use about the same as you - about 20-24 oz water to one pack of rit.
I rarely dip anything close to 20 min though, my avg is probably 8-12 min for good solid colors.
I might let yellow and orange sit for 20 min, but they're so light they take forever to get a decent shade.

Latest posts