• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dave Feldberg part of Latitude 64° team

JR said:
This is weird when you consider what Tomas said in a video interview we did with him at the Scandinavian Open 2010. I asked what are his thoughts about driving with putters mentioning his 400' putter drives with Aviars when he took two doubles open world titles in 1993 &4 and he replied among other things that these days he teaches people to use mids. One would think that in that case mids should be the center piece of throwing and as such Latitude should make the best mids around to fulfill that ends to a means in the best possible way.

The Mace sounds good but not at all like a perfect line laser from initial third hand info. if it is a Wasp with more glide it is way too LSS even though there is HSS. The only way to get a straight line from a disc like that is to put immense power into it or throw it so low that it touches the ground before the fade starts and that leads to a skip. Probably a huge left finishing one so again in a tight hole the disc would be in the rough if the distance is too long to get to the green.

To answer another post What Dave thinks about plus configuration might not be what he is allowed to say out loud. He switched from a company making pretty radically slanted rims to one making mostly minor slants that slip out way more rarely. Slants anyway. So maybe he is not bothered too much by them in his own game. Which might be different from an opinion about the use of slants for all disc golfers.

I agree that it does seem strange that Tomas has been kinda sheepish in his putter engineering. He was a monster with an Aviar and Lat drug their feet in putting out an Opto Pure. But there may be more to that than we realize. I still love Lat as a company and throw pretty much anything they mold.

Feldberg said in the video that until he tried the Sinus he had never thrown a putter in competition. I think I read somewhere else that Feldy had always been a powered down driver thrower. Even his old Innova bag had the same ratio of drivers to non drivers and he listed the Roc as an approach disc. I think his style of play was to almost always throw a driver. He did use the Eagle like scalpel.

And yes about Lat mids it has been frustrating. The Fuse is an excellent disc but it can be hard to make it fade or go left without hyzer. The Core is almost there but it is almost like a tweener disc. It flies like a beat up Buzzz but about 20-30ft longer. And it flies better when you lean on it. The Pain can be touchy (or at least mine is). The Mace is a very attractive offering but my DG spending is on hold until about August. I do like the Mace being offered in Zero Hard. I hope they offer more discs in this plastic especially their slower drivers.

keltik said:
I think I read somewhere else that Feldy had always been a powered down driver thrower. Even his old Innova bag had the same ratio of drivers to non drivers and he listed the Roc as an approach disc. I think his style of play was to almost always throw a driver. He did use the Eagle like scalpel.

When I played with him a couple years ago he was throwing Eagles on most holes from 225-350. I asked him why he didn't throw Rocs on the shorter ones and he just said he was comfortable with the Eagle and can make it do anything he wants without having to throw it hard.

It was just a B-tier where he had zero chance of not taking first so he was pretty relaxed and not in super competition mode. I don't think he got my sense of humor though. I was just fucking around with him on a 500' hole with water on the right, saying "last year Avery laid up safe about 450' on the left, and he throws longer than you right?" And he gets all fired up saying he's gonna deuce it before the tournament is over (it was three rounds on the same course) and throws a roller 60 feet past it into some bushes. I can't remember if he made the putt or not, but I thought it was pretty funny.

Parks said:
It was just a B-tier where he had zero chance of not taking first so he was pretty relaxed and not in super competition mode. I don't think he got my sense of humor though. I was just fucking around with him on a 500' hole with water on the right, saying "last year Avery laid up safe about 450' on the left, and he throws longer than you right?" And he gets all fired up saying he's gonna deuce it before the tournament is over (it was three rounds on the same course) and throws a roller 60 feet past it into some bushes. I can't remember if he made the putt or not, but I thought it was pretty funny.

there is a whole lot of win in that post.

keltik said:
Parks said:

there is a whole lot of win in that post.

:-D When Dave is powering down he can still make the Eagle fly way farther than 350'.

I heard that the arly Pains were a little flippy and the later ones fixed that. Never having thrown any i cannot say what the current situation is and how large the variations are between individual discs. I have a few years old Zero hard Spike and the first time i threw it got cosmetic damage. The plastic is fairly hard and slippery and only medium and hard Wizard type stuff are harder in base plastics. The damage appeared as a lighter streak in the plastic with no deformation, scratching etc. on the disc. The more i threw it the more it got those marks and quickly. So i stopped using it a lot and used Grip Lines. Spikes aren't normally in my bag any more so i wouldn't know how hard Zero lasts flight wise because the flight did not change.