• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 Next Generation Disc Golf Top Prize: Car

Discslinger12

Bogey Member
David Feldberg's 2017 Next Generation Disc Golf to Award Champion a Car;
Announces $800,000+ Amateur series anchored by Title Sponsor, Latitude 64

January 24, 2017

Next Generation Disc Golf is pleased to announce Latitude 64's title sponsorship of the 2017 Next Generation Tour Series providing over $500,000 in discs and merchandise. The sponsorship will help support 118 tournaments around the country with the National Champion winning a car.

"In 2016, Latitude 64's support enabled us to send Next Generation champion, Jake Peters, to Europe to compete in a EuroTour event this year. We couldn't be more excited to work again with Latitude 64 in taking Next Generation Disc Golf to new heights for 2017" said David Feldberg, Next Generation Tour Series Director and Latitude 64 sponsored team member/manager. Feldberg was recently named the most competitive disc golfer in the past decade by the Professional Disc Golf Association.

"It's been 42 years since a car was a top prize for playing disc golf, it was a pretty big deal at the time. When the Next Generation team approached us with their plan to award a car to their Amateur champion – we saw a natural fit with Latitude 64's mission." noted David Berglund, CEO of Latitude 64

Competitors register to play in one of 12 qualifier tournaments across 9 regions (108 total) held between April and June. Top finishers are invited to their respective Regional Championship held between July and October, where, again, the top finishers are invited to a National Championship in November in Arizona, where, amongst other groundbreaking prizes, the winner will take home a car. The website, full schedule and registration information will be released in early February.

"We started with the big idea…. "let's give away a car"…. from there we developed a series that not only awarded a new car but also: pays every competitor back well over 100%; offers options for every amateur of all skills; and provides one-of-a-kind player and prize packages at our championship tournaments. We look forward to sharing more detail the coming weeks – but it's critical to note without the support of Latitude 64 none of it would be possible." said Feldberg.

This seems to fully test the notion that Ams are where the money is. It may drive an interesting change in the sport. Seems like good business.

Actual photo of prize car

xModSZD.jpg

Actual photo of prize car

xModSZD.jpg

I'm a huge WRC fan, and that car speakers volumes. Thanks!

I admit I hate modern marketing, but there is a high level of kavitching that goes on about how neglected the Ams are and how that's where the money is. It does seem that Latitude is making an effort to tap that feeling/market. Even if you think the hype is awful, they are talking about an am based tour directed at non traveling players.

Never heard of this series, not sure how many had (looks like standings below were not the final standings):

https://www.discgolfscene.com/series/1007/next-generation-tour-2016/leaderboards

But the car prize this year is certain to grab attention and bring out more players, great marketing idea.

The series is in its second year, and this year's model is a bit of a departure from last year's. Last year, it was a handful of events, mostly run by Feldberg and other Lat64 sponsored pros. This year, it is greatly expanded and seems to be modeled a bit after the USGA's US Amateur championship. A bunch of local qualifying events spread around the country sending a select few to the next round of regionals, which send a select few on to national championship.

The grand prize last year was an all expenses paid trip to Europe to play a pro event. It appears the goal is to make winning this thing worth something significant every year.

I'm a huge WRC fan, and that car speakers volumes. Thanks!

I admit I hate modern marketing, but there is a high level of kavitching that goes on about how neglected the Ams are and how that's where the money is. It does seem that Latitude is making an effort to tap that feeling/market. Even if you think the hype is awful, they are talking about an am based tour directed at non traveling players.

Wow, I love the idea of tapping the amateur market. Catering to the masses is pretty smart, huh?

On the WRC front, I am heading up North Michigan, this weekend, to watch a leg of the North American Rally Championship. Great rally in the snow of northern Michigan.

Looking forward to seeing more details about this and hope it gets a little more traction than last year. last year there were i think 12 total qualifiers over the whole country and people seemed to hardly know what was going on with it. Most of the advanced division as the final last year had not even attended enough events to qualify for the top prize. 108 events is a major upgrade in the scope of this thing.

Wow, I love the idea of tapping the amateur market. Catering to the masses is pretty smart, huh?

On the WRC front, I am heading up North Michigan, this weekend, to watch a leg of the North American Rally Championship. Great rally in the snow of northern Michigan.

You dog! I've been wanting to take my sons for a couple of years. Think Pastrana is gonna challenge Higgins this year?

You dog! I've been wanting to take my sons for a couple of years. Think Pastrana is gonna challenge Higgins this year?

Neither are registered at this event, the series first event of the year. Though, Higgins has historically been a very late entry to Sno*Drift. A group of about 8 or 9 guys have been racing, marshaling, or spectating this event and the Upper Peninsula event for many years. A great community of people and volunteers. Not to mention a ton of fun.

Dave gave more details on the podcast last night. The top 12 from each regional qualifier will receive invites to the regional championships and then the top 8 of each regional will get an invite to the national championship. Cap of 54 players for each qualifier.

I dont think giving away a new car is good. It sounds good and is good press and it will build hype. But in the end its not a good idea givin that you have to pay for taxes licensing and all that shenanigans.