• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] DD vs DDx

Speed can't be purely defined by wing width, though. The Nuke is a 2.5 but no one calls it a speed 15 driver. Speed is a relative term made up by Innova to describe the nature of a disc. Personally, I find the thunderbird to be a true speed 9, and the PD flies faster than it for me. Same wing width, different results.

I think speed should be dictated not only by the width of the rim, but the depth of it too. Some discs have very shallow rims (Flick, Katana). The Flick is listed as speed 9, but I think it flies much more like a speed 13-14 disc. Same with the Katana. That thing is laser fast.

The Boss and Katana have the same width rim. However, the Katana has a much shallower rim. Wouldn't that aspect alone make the disc cut through the air faster than a Boss?

As for the DDX, its a bit of a strange disc. It flies exactly like a Tern, but with a noticeably sharp/heavy fade. Like it suddenly stops going forward and falls out of the air like a rock. Its pretty inelegant and costs the disc some distance. Frankly I'd rather throw a Tern. The DDX is good for throws where you need that hooking fade though.

Last edited:
As for the DDX, its a bit of a strange disc. It flies exactly like a Tern, but with a noticeably sharp/heavy fade. Like it suddenly stops going forward and falls out of the air like a rock. Its pretty inelegant and costs the disc some distance. Frankly I'd rather throw a Tern. The DDX is good for throws where you need that hooking fade though.

I tried the DDx, particularly the C-line DDx, as my wind fighting distance driver to compliment the Tern. It was okay, but I never really jelled with it. Same story as with many Discmania discs for me.

I tried the DDx, particularly the C-line DDx, as my wind fighting distance driver to compliment the Tern. It was okay, but I never really jelled with it. Same story as with many Discmania discs for me.

I had some absolute bombs with a blizzard DD2, but I agree I'm not huge into Discmania. I liked the DDX, but I've never had reason to toss it in the bag. It doesn't nothing for me a Tern or Shryke won't. Shorter than either of them too.

Granted, I've never thrown any Discmania fairway drivers or mids. Who knows, they could have some great stuff there.

I also had that sudden dump halfway through the fade with the DDX. It was weird. It bombed for me tho, although not quite as long as the Tern. It was more predictable than my star Terns in regards to its HSS, but the dumping fade made me take it out of the bag. The FD on the other hand is a must-bag fairway driver for me. Very much a point and shoot disc, super versatile

I had some absolute bombs with a blizzard DD2, but I agree I'm not huge into Discmania. I liked the DDX, but I've never had reason to toss it in the bag. It doesn't nothing for me a Tern or Shryke won't. Shorter than either of them too.

Granted, I've never thrown any Discmania fairway drivers or mids. Who knows, they could have some great stuff there.

I also had that sudden dump halfway through the fade with the DDX. It was weird. It bombed for me tho, although not quite as long as the Tern. It was more predictable than my star Terns in regards to its HSS, but the dumping fade made me take it out of the bag. The FD on the other hand is a must-bag fairway driver for me. Very much a point and shoot disc, super versatile

The FD is probably the best Discmania disc for me. The P2 does well, also.

One Discmania disc that was a real disappointment for me was the TD. Felt good in the hand, seemed to feel good coming out of the hand. Even had a guy on my home course compliment my throw of a TD, as it had no OAT and flew with a little turn then a tiny fade. But it just didn't seem to 'get there', like the air just wasn't underneath it. The Beast flies better for me.

Last edited:
I'm a HUGE fan of the 2nd run S-DD. The Wraith fit perfectly in my hand for a FH, but i found i liked the feel even for with the DD and it flies super far for me. I've also used it as a longer Thunderbird and feel it holds up well to that idea. Anywhere i would normally use a Destroyer but don't want to go too far either way because of a tighter fairway, i pull the DD out as well and usually is a perfect shot. I had a DDx and felt it sat right in between the Tern and the Shryke but it was def fickle. Not the same flight every shot. I could never get comfortable with it and the Shryke seemed to fit that spot perfectly so out went the Tern and DDx.

In the wraith thread I was recommended the Discmania DD as an overstable counterpart to the straight stable star wraiths currently available. As a conscientious poster I deign to clutter that thread with off topic talk so I'll pose my question here:

Are S line DD's flat topped or particularly domed?

Grain of salt but IME I haven't noticed any particularly domed ones. Mine isn't really flat but its got a gradual dome and fairly flat across most of the top. I've never seen a pop top DD but I haven't handled a bunch of them either. Hope that helps.

I have a stiff S-Line pop top DD (old themed stamp version).

Super OS.

That and those C-Line Sexton Sigs.

Pop top OS goodness as well

was looking for a DDX forum but only found this --- anyway

Just got a Glow DDx 175g --- super flat ----holy crapola is it stable - I tried to rip it, even with a headwind it barely got any turn. It is super flat so there is minimal glide . I really like the S-Line - nice US distance driver, felt great, good grip. The glow - though not the same at all. Not to say its bad, but its SUPER flat - fast, and overstable. So I'll have a use for it but it will definitely be for a different duty - I grabbed another S line just cuz - hope they run more Swirly S lines in the future. that's all folks

A Glow DDx came in my mystery box. It's flat but honestly a bit easier to grip than the S-Line DDx I've tried in the past. Feels a tad taller...

Anywho I didn't like this disc much before because I cannot for the life of me get a consistent grip on it. It's possibly the shallowest feeling disc ever made.

I will probably save this one for a special occasion in the Spring.

Anyone have any anecdotal thoughts about this mold and the variations that exist?

In the wraith thread I was recommended the Discmania DD as an overstable counterpart to the straight stable star wraiths currently available. As a conscientious poster I deign to clutter that thread with off topic talk so I'll pose my question here:

Are S line DD's flat topped or particularly domed?

Late reply here.

The swirly DDs that released this year are not flat, but not "domey" just a nice mild dome. Feel good in the hand FH and BH for me (but aren't flat). This run is also not really OS in my book. No where close to the over stability of a first run PD or the latest embossed run. It does fly really nice, has good glide, and a late healthy fade. I'd rate it at 11 5 -.5 2.5 when thrown flat out to 375-400. It will hold an anny until late, and a hyzer all the way to the ground.

I've thrown some older S-Line DDs that have a bit more dome, but not the pop-top ones. They are more OS but not as comfortable in the hand and I've stayed away from them in the past for that reason.

I have bagged flat OS wraiths for a long time and the Swirly DD is the closet thing to a beat in flat OS old star I have found. Wear will probably change them more quickly as new star/s-line beats in a lot faster than old hard star seemed too.

Right now I have one of the new star wraiths in the bag next to the Swirly DD. Now that I'm throwing the PD and PD2 I just don't need the super OS 11 speed slot anymore. A PDx would probably fill that role better than a DD anyway. I'm actually going to sell the latest OS wraiths I picked up used because I already throw way too much rare and hard to replace plastic.

Yeah the swirly DDs are pretty close to a Glow PD2 IMO. Perhaps a smidge more turn and holds on to it for a while longer. I am thinking / hoping that when it beats in, it will only get longer and longer

A Glow DDx came in my mystery box. It's flat but honestly a bit easier to grip than the S-Line DDx I've tried in the past. Feels a tad taller...

Anywho I didn't like this disc much before because I cannot for the life of me get a consistent grip on it. It's possibly the shallowest feeling disc ever made.

I will probably save this one for a special occasion in the Spring.

Anyone have any anecdotal thoughts about this mold and the variations that exist?

The DDX is a love/hate mold. That said, you can actually get used to it and learn to like it if you practice with it. The DDX is a very capable driver that will bomb if you really lean into it. They tend to be a little flatter and more overstable than Terns. Very shallow rim, which seems to be what most people dislike about them.

What I like about the DDX is that it will handle a big rip and not flip over all the way. The disc has some nice high speed turn followed by a predictable late (somewhat dumpy) fade. Thrown hard the DDX will produce majestic S curves.

Whose got me on a swirly ddx tho

I've thrown a swirly star DDX and it worked great. For me it flew just about like other star DDXs. It flew like the numbers assigned to the mold.

I haven't really thrown a bad DDX. They're predictable. High speed turn followed by late fade. IMO its a good mold. Guys who find Terns just a tad too flippy should definitely check out the DDX.

Like the DDx flight but cant get used to the shallowish rim? Get a CD3. Less turn, less fade +- it pretty much evens out to similar destination as the DDx, maybe a hair shorter. But the rim feels beefier in the hand.

Like the DDx flight but cant get used to the shallowish rim? Get a CD3. Less turn, less fade +- it pretty much evens out to similar destination as the DDx, maybe a hair shorter. But the rim feels beefier in the hand.

I know your a cd3 guy. Personally I am not thought you might be interested in this

Attachments

• 22DBF2F3-9E77-4301-946E-E528FF766ED9.jpg
    22DBF2F3-9E77-4301-946E-E528FF766ED9.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 2AE23758-1C3A-4F6A-878E-2DD52BE2EB64.jpg
    2AE23758-1C3A-4F6A-878E-2DD52BE2EB64.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 23

Latest posts