• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dealing with the thick stuff

Aupps

Par Member
So in the past two days I've lost 2 discs due to tall think grass. my buddy and I spend a good amount of time searching, but found no disc. I've started bringing a pair of lopping sheers with me to search through the thick vines and thorns, I have it clipped to my bag.
I am so closes to bringing a sickle with me for if I shank one in the high grass again, but I don't want to be carrying all that extra gear.

How do you guys deal searching in the really high thick grass? I'd rather not have to avoid certain courses during the summer because they are disc eaters.

If nothing else one of you go down to spot. If you are playing alone just be sure to keep a very close eye on where your disc ended up.

Don't know how many courses you regularly play, but you can always take a weed whacker to your favorite courses (with permission, of course) for 2 or 3 hours once every couple of months. Take a round to volunteer your time/energy and you'll have that much more fun when you play! I just avoid a few local courses until they do their annual large mowing or rototilling job because every throw you're searching in 4 foot grass, even in the middle of the "fairways" which we don't really have much of due to the hilly terrain.

Tim S.

i use an up and down pattern of about a yard apart when in really thick stuff. i'll identify the general area and then walk up and down until i see it. if i don't see it i cross up the pattern and walk perpendicular to the original lines i walked.

Another thing you can do is not look away when shank a drive. That's one thing that I struggle with and it's usually the reason I lose one.

Spot each other. Also, if it goes in, chase after it right away. As soon as you throw it, get after it!

I kept an eye on my throw, buddy was in another section of grass looking for his disc. It really comes down to I threw a gold disc and it just vanished. If I could redo that hole I would change a few things so I could find it. We flattened most of the grass searching through it but still couldn't find it. Would have helped if I could of hacked away at it.
Would walking around a course with a machete draw too much unwanted attention?

^this from the guy that throws leafy green colored discs :D

i use an up and down pattern of about a yard apart when in really thick stuff. i'll identify the general area and then walk up and down until i see it. if i don't see it i cross up the pattern and walk perpendicular to the original lines i walked.

agreed

leave that sh*t, the brush that is, its part of the course, you lose plastic you gain plastic, its under the bridge. everyone has to play it..

Ah, you haven't learned the most important thing. You want bright NON NATURALLY OCCURING colors. Gold/Amber/Beige blends in nicely to high grass.

it would be cool if they made microscopic gps trackers that beeped when you hit a red button attached to your bag.

I feel your pain Aupps I lost two in the weeds last week at brandywine. Up to that round I had only lost two discs total.

I agree with not hacking to much of the course, its there for a reason, gives the course integrity. So the more you cut away the easier it is next time... Over the winter we had some bad storms that took a toll on some trees and a lot of under growth of our local course, its a completely different course now.

I look at an object past where my disc landed an walk in a straight line to it. If its really thick, just have a spotter walk ahead before u throw.