• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Debate: Most impressive bomb putt in PDGA history?

ChrisWoj

Common Core Crusader
Silver level trusted reviewer
I'm not making any proclamations here that Rick's putt yesterday was the biggest ever. I don't have a firm enough grasp of the history to say that. Did anyone cash a bomb putt to win a Worlds in the 1980s? I know none were hit in the 1990s when Kenny curb stomped the competition, right? Any NTs with bigger "game winners"?

And just to keep our adrenaline flowing, I'm gonna leave Cale here for you:

(Yes, I'm aware he lost the event in the playoff - but talk about an adrenaline hit...)

Big Jerm and Mcbeast at the Memorial to have a playoff two years ago. That was sick

I'll put in Feldberg's jumper to force a playoff (which he won) at Rochester NT a couple years ago.

I'll put in Feldberg's jumper to force a playoff (which he won) at Rochester NT a couple years ago.

It wasn't for a win - but didn't he have a MASSIVE putt to secure 2nd or 3rd alone, and a massive cash swing for himself, at USDGC some years ago? I want to say 50+ downhill on that 18th green.

Didn't Nikko throw an ace on 18 at Fountain maybe four years ago to either win outright or tie for a playoff?

Does Simon's the other day count as a bomb putt? Down by 2 with one hole to go, he knew he needed an eagle to have any possible chance - then to come through for the win. Never say die. https://youtu.be/Y7FphhJKWzg?t=30m47s

I watched big jerm's putt in person at the memorial last year, that was pretty incredible.

Does Simon's the other day count as a bomb putt? Down by 2 with one hole to go, he knew he needed an eagle to have any possible chance - then to come through for the win. Never say die. https://youtu.be/Y7FphhJKWzg?t=30m47s

Agreed. It wasn't really a putt, and it wasn't on the last hole, but it's pretty amazing that he came back from 2 strokes down with 2 holes to play.

Paul's series of long putts to come back on Will at the Beaver State Fling were all pretty impressive.

Didn't Feldberg hit that crazy 40+ footer with a head wind that scraped the top of the basket and the wind blew it in the chains?
Yeah, but that's just a bit of dumb luck that happened to be on camera. His others....

Didn't Nikko throw an ace on 18 at Fountain maybe four years ago to either win outright or tie for a playoff?

I believe it was the Fountain Hills Thrills.

Hit the ace on 18 to force a playoff against Uli, which he won (I think).

How imperative is it to this discussion that it be caught on film. Think of it, most of what we discuss is quite recent and the mobs know what you speak of. That putt by cale is iconic, the big jerm putt was epic, an ace to jump into position? Incredible. But only because we have the video.

Remember back in 1987 when so and so hit that huge anny putt around the flaming bear's den full of angry crocodiles and sharks with frickin laser beams attached to their forehead? I didn't think so, there's like 10 people still alive that were there to witness it and none of them post on the internet about the cool things they saw back then...

Woj, you've been playing disc golf for a while. How many skip birdies have you seen?
I think a better question to ask is "Woj, how many rounds of golf have you played with Double G?" - He's the only guy I've played with that regularly upshots competitive 60-75 footers with drivers because he can check-skip them and get a semi-vertical run on the basket without much of a comebacker at all. It's disgusting.

In general - I rarely see them. I'd say I see one on accidental throw-ins a couple of times a summer when I'm playing ALL the time. In tournament play? Almost never. No one really makes those runs, everyone is trying to check up to save par in tournament play.

Bringing back memory of when I lost by one stroke to a guy that aced the last hole on an Instep basket. What are the odds of that catching?

How imperative is it to this discussion that it be caught on film. Think of it, most of what we discuss is quite recent and the mobs know what you speak of. That putt by cale is iconic, the big jerm putt was epic, an ace to jump into position? Incredible. But only because we have the video.

Remember back in 1987 when so and so hit that huge anny putt around the flaming bear's den full of angry crocodiles and sharks with frickin laser beams attached to their forehead? I didn't think so, there's like 10 people still alive that were there to witness it and none of them post on the internet about the cool things they saw back then...
Could also argue that although historically of some import - they're not nearly as big because the fields, the purses, the sport were all not the size they are now. Of crucial importance: the level of competition and play - whatever you think of the ability of the very cream of the crust back then versus now, you can't argue that the depth of the field is so much stronger that every weekend is a much stiffer challenge. So lucky for us - all this video came around just at the moment our fields are truly getting scary deep, and the putts are starting to mean something to a much broader group of people.

Latest posts