• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Decatur and Huntsville, AL

filobedo

Double Eagle Member
I will be in town the next couple of weeks and curious if any tournaments are going on or if anyone wants to play. I will probably play Decatur tomorrow and Huntsville over the weekend. Any suggestions? Thank you

Man. No Rocket City love. I'm heading down in the morning. Indian Creek is at the top of the list, but I can't decide on the others. Any suggestions?

Brahan springs is the oldest existing course in the country. It's short (1 hole over 300 and 1 over 400) but there's ALOT of trees.

Mastin Lake and Monte Sano are wooded courses with some elevation changes and tight shots. Both are fun.

Indian has a little of everything. Open holes, wooded holes, some elevation. I've only played it a few times but it's a fun course.

Yeah I wasn't going to play Brahan Springs, but after seeing it was installed in 1976, I think I have check it out. I didn't realize it was the oldest. That's pretty cool.

If you could only play one, Monte Sano or Mastin Lake?

I'd probably say Mastin Lake if I had to choose. It's free and it has concrete tee pads as opposed to carpet a M Sano.

There's also UAH but I can't give any advice on it because I haven't played the current setup. It looks long just by driving by it though.

Unless someone convinced me otherwise, the turf pads had me ready to skip Monte Sano.
With all the length at Indian Creek, I dont know if I'll be up for more bombing at UAH. But, with it being the host of the '83 & '93 Worlds, I'm going to at least drive by. I'm about to hit the road. Thanks for the advice.

Just got back. Huntsville is great DG destination. It has several different types of courses packed close together. Indian Hills was my favorite. It's full of a variety of unique holes (except 17). The length gave me the chance to rip some bombers that I rarely get to pull out in Nashville.

Mastin Lake also had several very unique holes. Another really fun round. This was a great change of pace, in the woods, very guarded from the wind. I really appreciate the recommendation. Glad I played it. I'll definitely be playing it again as well.

Brahan, while in the trees, has a very high canopy and the wind was really messing with my short game, especially where the back 9 runs near the road/parking lot. Henry Horton must have modeled their course after this design. Even though I probably wouldn't go back because of all the redundancy and lack of discrete benches, I did enjoy experiencing the oldest existing DG course.

I actually enjoyed the Rocket City Tour more than the last Bowling Green trip. I'll keep it in mind whenever the radar is clearer south of the border.

cheers.gif

Glad you enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Next time you come down make sure you hit up monte sano. It's my second favorite right after Indian creek. But glad you had a good time