• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Deet alternatives

I do not recommend it but there is guy that came in to my work and bought cattle pour on, like Ivermectin for insects and worms. He drops 1 ml on his skin and swears that he has no bug problem for the whole season. I do not recommend this because on the bottle in bold print it says not for human use.

Household winterizing anti-freeze works too, also preparation H mixed with ammonia. I just use 7% deet though, the problems begin when you use the 25% stuff that will dissolve plastic. Moderation.

Last edited:
Rochester Summers are very humid and the courses around here have a lot of woods and or water around. I gotta use deet. If I use anything but deep woods I get eaten alive.

The new off clip on is AWESOME!!!! Not a bg fan of spraying Deet on me either. My ole lady picked on up for me and its great. I used it for a month now and my home course has tons of those lil bastards, havent been bit once. Clipped it on my bag and asked my boy(who is always with me) and he hasnt been attacked yet either.

Skin So Soft from Avon works well too. My Aunt is a distributor and we always get boxes of Avon crap at x-mas. It smells good but keeps bugs away and I don't believe it has alcohol in it (I could be wrong, I don't have it in front of me).

Isn't that the blue one.. if it is we buy that for my son because it is also sunblock. I totally forgot about that stuff.

That's what I have been using as well. Seems to work fine around here, but we were up in Michigan a couple weekends ago and it did nothing against the steroid skeeters they have up there. We had to go with the Deep Woods Off which I hate to do, but I also hate getting carried away by mosquitoes.

I found out last night that when the skeeters are particularly intense, this stuff isn't that effective. Back to Deet I guess.

I am curious to hear from \people in Michigan (besides esdubya's garlic) trying the listerine and other remedies. From my personal experience Michigan has skeeters disguised as F-15's and Deep Woods Off hads absolutely no effect on them. I played Rolling Hills in Ypsilanti last week and had to run the last 4 holes to get away from the skeeters even after slathering myself with Deep Woods Off. Here in Pittsburgh a light spray and you are set for the whole round.

Seriously Michigan has like mutant DEET resistant skeeters..........:\

I am curious to hear from \people in Michigan (besides esdubya's garlic) trying the listerine and other remedies. From my personal experience Michigan has skeeters disguised as F-15's and Deep Woods Off hads absolutely no effect on them. I played Rolling Hills in Ypsilanti last week and had to run the last 4 holes to get away from the skeeters even after slathering myself with Deep Woods Off. Here in Pittsburgh a light spray and you are set for the whole round.

Seriously Michigan has like mutant DEET resistant skeeters..........:\

Yes agreed.. Rolling Hills is actually where I play my Tuesday night league. It's bad there but it's really bad everywhere. I typically wear long pants to at least get my legs covered. NOT jeans, I have a pair of light polyester backpacking type pants. After that I'll spray the deet on my arms and back of neck, and on my hat or bandana or whatever I have on my head. Shower when I get home..

They have been pretty bad this year though, sadly I tried like hell to eat a ton of Garlic last week but I still had to supplement with deet. I saw one poor sap leaving the park not wearing a shirt with about 10 big red welts on his back from mosquito bites.

Latest posts