• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DES MOINES -MARCH 11-14

hogleggbob

Birdie Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
i plan on going to des moines in a couple weeks and plan on playing walnut ridge on friday march 11th . saturday plan on playing ewing then pickard starting around 830 am... sunday going to try and make it up to colfax and play lions park... hopefully i will get up to play both the courses in ames on monday... anyone in iowa want to throw?

You definately got some good options in the Des Monies area, just hope the Iowa weather cooperates with you.

You should skip Ames, and play Big Creek and Grandview in DM instead. Neither of the Ames courses are very challenging and are not at all worth the drive IMO. If they have high ratings it is only because a lot of the college kids have learned to play there and don't know better. I used to live in Ames, and I won't even waste my time with the 35 minute drive from DM if that tells you anything. Also, the ISU college kids like to play in groups of 10. Seriously. :wall:

Scarpfish is right about Walnut Ridge, but it's only a couple 100 yards you have to walk. Tell you what, if you want to play Walnut on Friday afternoon I'll show you around out there. I'll see if I can get Steve A to join us as well.

You should skip Ames, and play Big Creek and Grandview in DM instead. Neither of the Ames courses are very challenging and are not at all worth the drive IMO. If they have high ratings it is only because a lot of the college kids have learned to play there and don't know better. I used to live in Ames, and I won't even waste my time with the 35 minute drive from DM if that tells you anything. Also, the ISU college kids like to play in groups of 10. Seriously. :wall:

Scarpfish is right about Walnut Ridge, but it's only a couple 100 yards you have to walk. Tell you what, if you want to play Walnut on Friday afternoon I'll show you around out there. I'll see if I can get Steve A to join us as well.

Did you play 13th street from reds or something??? I understand gateway park being easy, but 13th longs is in no way easy. If you are going for a challenge, don't go to DM, go to Boone.

CWAlbino, sure the Stable Run course has some long holes, but it's still not overly challenging. If it was hillier it might be comparable to Grandview, but nearly the whole course is super flat. You're right about Boone though, but he'll need someone to guide as Hogleggbob said.

I was just in des moines visiting my brother (he goes to drake) and we got an early game in at ewing and that is a great place to get a round in! natives might make fun of you if your wearing anything but short sleeves in 40 degree weather (seems like they are used to an arctic tundra up there) but it will be fun either way!

not worried about weather...i played grandview the last time i wasin town and found it to be a great course , but i thought it was too easy . i also played big creek and enjoyed it for the most part, but ewing and pickard stood out as the type of course i want to play , long holes, water hazards, multiple pads...pickard had all of that

i plan on playing walnut ridge friday at 930am, saturday going to lions then lewis park starting at 800am, sunday ewing then pickard starting at 800am, then monday either ankeny or boone...

We did the Des Moines trip in 2009 and hit Big Creek, Walnut Ridge, Pickard, Ewing and Grandview. I'd say Walnut, Pickard and Ewing are easily the top 3 courses in my mind. Big Creek was solid. Grandview wasn't bad, just not on par with the big 3.

i plan on playing walnut ridge friday at 930am, saturday going to lions then lewis park starting at 800am, sunday ewing then pickard starting at 800am, then monday either ankeny or boone...

If you're going to go all the way to Colfax, you might as well go to Newton. In my opinion, Newton is WAY better than Lions (Altoona).

Colfax was not great 10 years ago, but I hear it's been through a redesign since then, and is much better now. I'm guessing the locals would still say Newton is better than either of these.