• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Des Moines New Course?

yearofrolling

Eagle Member
Has anyone heard about a new course in Des Moines near Veterans Hospital?
The guys at PIAS told me about it but that's all I've heard.
I sure would be nice if its true; with Water Works closed, Ewing getting ripped up with the road construction and MacRae Park not being perused, I can see Grandview getting really crowded.
I tried to look around on that Iowa Disc Golf forum but I can never find anything on there. Is it still active?
I'm going to try to hunt around down town tomorrow and see if I can't find it. I'll let you know if I do.

Sure enough. Good find grodney; you saved me the trip.
I guess I will respect their private property and stay off.

9 holes. Amazing piece of ground with lots of sharp elevation changes and mature trees. Very well done. Grounds are groomed. Compact course. Great baskets, one per hole short concrete tee pads, and thoughtful grounds usage. Holes 160-300ish, mostly 220ish. Plays quick and fun. A very high and long retaining wall adds an interesting and unique trick throw option.

The massive downside is that if it were wide open to the public is that it would tear apart very fast regardless of season. Lacks anything close to decent turf through the middle of the course. Turf and drainage around some tee boxes and baskets is obvious could get sketchy with much use. Very erosion vulnerable. Just way too many disc golfers here in central Iowa that it could it could not handle much capacity. Expectation of sobriety and no alcohol could clash with many local golfers style. An open course would add to the VAs security responsibility. VA already has parking overload issues and shuttles from off campus lots. A pathway and pedestrian usage could absolutely be a huge issue if played on weekdays especially.
Idea of hosting a limited number weekend days for a charity fundraisers would be ideal and cure the itch many have to play it.

The short comment to take from this is "Private"