• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGN for 2022

VOTE WITH YOUR WALLET.

Join the Patreons, don't pay DGN. It's pretty simple for us to support the companies putting out content we want vs content we don't.

If they aren't allowed to film the events, then my money only goes to practice rounds and putting game coverage?

I enjoy watching those, but prefer tournament footage.

If they aren't allowed to film the events, then my money only goes to practice rounds and putting game coverage?

I enjoy watching those, but prefer tournament footage.

The goal would be to make sure it doesn't get to that point where they aren't allowed to. If they already aren't allowed to, well then I guess I am going to pay to support the creation of the JPDGT.

This sounds like the worst idea possible, and exactly what they will do. Instead of widening their reach by utilizing the largest video hosting website in the world*, just dig in and hope your small fanbase will support you.

*There's probably a bigger site in China, but this works for argument's sake. I would never has started disc golfing if a video hadn't come up while I was watching F1 replays on YT

I hope it doesn't happen either but I think they'll realize how many people only watch post production and they aren't making a dime on those people.

Post production would be exclusive on DGN for a couple weeks before the companies could host it on their own YouTube channel…or some type of similar agreement. That'd allow somebody like Jomez to still put out practice round videos or other random dg content.

I don't like the idea but I think it's a matter of time before everything consolidates to DGN.

I hope it doesn't happen either but I think they'll realize how many people only watch post production and they aren't making a dime on those people.

Post production would be exclusive on DGN for a couple weeks before the companies could host it on their own YouTube channel…or some type of similar agreement. That'd allow somebody like Jomez to still put out practice round videos or other random dg content.

I don't like the idea but I think it's a matter of time before everything consolidates to DGN.

I'll just return to my vote with your wallet comment. If this is what disc golfers (besides you and I) want, it's what they're going to get.

It was fun while it lasted I guess.

We don't know what is going to happen.

I started this because I suspect a future similar to what dehaas describes, but it hasn't happened yet and as far as I know nobody in the production circles is talking publicly about what's next—meaning in the years to come. I don't see big changes on the post pro side at this point for this year.

I think the post pro side provides the most marketing to the unfamiliar outside of people inviting friends to play. It would hurt the growth of the sport at this time. And no, this isn't about grow the sport or not. All these production companies want the sport to grow.

Hopefully someone will be wise enough to make it all work.

I started this because I suspect a future similar to what dehaas describes, but it hasn't happened yet and as far as I know nobody in the production circles is talking publicly about what's next—meaning in the years to come. I don't see big changes on the post pro side at this point for this year.

I think the post pro side provides the most marketing to the unfamiliar outside of people inviting friends to play. It would hurt the growth of the sport at this time. And no, this isn't about grow the sport or not. All these production companies want the sport to grow.

DGPT and a few hundred players, have nothing to do with growing the sport. The sport is growing this brand. They are living off the amateur disc golf growth. Growth provided by volunteers. Growth off the am side and families at the local level. DGPT is not aiming to get 100 bucks a year off some rando non disc golfers. Their entire market is players. PPV is limiting the possible exposure of the game to non players. Sounds like a failing business model.

I simply cannot find a way to care too much about 1% of the game. I will continue to focus my attention on the other 99%. You want to make me pay to watch pro disc golf? You want to eliminate the ability to watch post productions? That's cool, I wish them luck and success. I will go play disc golf on the weekends. It is what I love.

Oh yeah post production on YouTube can definitely reach tons of outside people who know nothing about dg. For that reason it'll never go away completely.

If you wanna watch free footage from an event that happened a month you'll still be able to, but if you want to watch it next day you'll have to pay.

The trickiest part will be finding a financial agreement with the post production companies. Obviously YouTube views would drop, so you'd have to come up with a fair way for them to be compensated from the DGN side of things.

My gut still says the plan was to build things up to a point where it could be sold for a decent chunk of change to somebody like CBS or ESPN. It's pretty much an understood thing in the startup world, come up with the next big thing, grow it really fast and cash out while you can.

But yeah, this isn't an all encompassing grow the sport talk, more like a grow it so it's a legit money making opportunity for a few people.

Oh yeah post production on YouTube can definitely reach tons of outside people who know nothing about dg. For that reason it'll never go away completely.

If you wanna watch free footage from an event that happened a month you'll still be able to, but if you want to watch it next day you'll have to pay.

The trickiest part will be finding a financial agreement with the post production companies. Obviously YouTube views would drop, so you'd have to come up with a fair way for them to be compensated from the DGN side of things.

My gut still says the plan was to build things up to a point where it could be sold for a decent chunk of change to somebody like CBS or ESPN. It's pretty much an understood thing in the startup world, come up with the next big thing, grow it really fast and cash out while you can.

But yeah, this isn't an all encompassing grow the sport talk, more like a grow it so it's a legit money making opportunity for a few people.

Wordle had over 10 million daily users before NYT bought it. DGN has a LONG way to go if their plan is to be purchased.

They're better off trying to be a solo platform similar to WRC+, which is what they are really trying to do. Hence getting in PDGAs pocket.

It's amazing how this ALWAYS devolves into the same boring, tired, thoughtless discussion.

Obviously you care enough to read and post but what's your contribution?

That's not a judgement thing at all, but there is obviously some underlying thought there and nobody likes passive aggressive posts? So let it out…

Accusing same conversation blah blah blah we've got a lot of newer users who aren't down with The Prerube.

Beginning of the season so who cares if we rehash them same stuff of the last 10 years. It could be worse…you could be 3P and have been rehashing for 30+ years AND having to moderate us choads…

Obviously you care enough to read and post but what's your contribution?

I tried to stay on topic and not make the discussion about whether DGN was worth it or not in my original reply #11. The topic quickly devolved into the typical Live vs Post and 'vote with your wallet' instead of staying on topic with the raised costs for DGN, and how USDGC is now included in the cost. There is some thoughtful input on the OP question. It's hard to really pinpoint 'what's next' because we're in 100% uncharted territory and there's no push by the whole community to go in one direction or the other.

I don't weigh Live and Post on the same scale at all. They are different products, I watch both.

https://www.dgpt.com/announcements/dgpt-announces-2022-post-production-media-plan/
Cost Jomez $500k for the media rights to cover MPO lead card for 2022 & 2023 DGPT seasons.
GK Pro on FPO lead card for 2022 DGPT season.
Gatekeeper Media on MPO chase card for 2022 & 2023 DGPT seasons.
GK Pro & Central Coast producing Silver Series post round coverage for the DGPT Youtube channel.

It seems like a lot of money until you realize how much they make through patreon. And sometimes you have to spend money to make money, turns out to be a reasonable fee per event IMO.

Who said there's no money in disc golf? They need to update their info

https://www.dgpt.com/announcements/dgpt-announces-2022-post-production-media-plan/
Cost Jomez $500k for the media rights to cover MPO lead card for 2022 & 2023 DGPT seasons.
GK Pro on FPO lead card for 2022 DGPT season.
Gatekeeper Media on MPO chase card for 2022 & 2023 DGPT seasons.
GK Pro & Central Coast producing Silver Series post round coverage for the DGPT Youtube channel.

$500K?? Wow, that is way more than I would have imagined. I wouldn't think ad revenue from youtube views would cover that. Let's say that is 50 events for round numbers. That is $10,000 per event. Can youtube ads generate that much? Does patreon support come close to covering that?

$500K?? Wow, that is way more than I would have imagined. I wouldn't think ad revenue from youtube views would cover that. Let's say that is 50 events for round numbers. That is $10,000 per event. Can youtube ads generate that much? Does patreon support come close to covering that?

They have 3757 patreon subscribers, at a minimum of $5 each. I think patreon is more than capable of covering the cost of lead card coverage.

Yeah, DGN already won. This sucks.

Yeah, DGN already won. This sucks.

it's 100% NOT about who's winning/losing. WE as the consumers are winning, honestly.

Jomez needs the DGPT to cover live events, and DGPT needs more money to pay the top pros to stay on tour and increase the prestige of the events on a larger scale to people/companies outside of the sport.

It's a partnership, and neither would do as well if they didn't work together.

I've got that sinking feeling that after these two years are up, everything will be behind their paywall. Those who have the itch for post produced coverage will be waiting until long after the event, trying their damndest to avoid spoilers, when the coverage will be released by DGN to the individual YT pages.

Don't get me wrong; I actually like watching live disc golf. Other than Nate Doss, I like the commentary. I'm just usually really busy, or I can watch like half the round but not the whole thing. I let my PDGA membership expire and have no plans on renewing it; I did the same with DGN.

it's 100% NOT about who's winning/losing. WE as the consumers are winning, honestly.

Jomez needs the DGPT to cover live events, and DGPT needs more money to pay the top pros to stay on tour and increase the prestige of the events on a larger scale to people/companies outside of the sport.

It's a partnership, and neither would do as well if they didn't work together.

Except that DGN puts out a bad product. We are losing because they have valued themselves at $250K/card/season. They have already raised the price to $12 a month which is more than the basic Netflix plan, and they only offer one service, live disc golf.