• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2022 Dynamic Discs Open Apr 28-May 1

I noticed each player had a tee off song,and it played loudly. Is this a new thing? Does anyone know if players we required to have a tee off song?

When I registered for the event (Am side) on Disc Golf Scene, I tried to leave the "Tee off song" question blank. When I tried to submit, it gave me the "This is a required field" error message, so I had to choose something.

When I registered for the event (Am side) on Disc Golf Scene, I tried to leave the "Tee off song" question blank. When I tried to submit, it gave me the "This is a required field" error message, so I had to choose something.
Default selection, "Star Spangled Banner" so everyone has to stand up as you approach the tee.

I noticed each player had a tee off song,and it played loudly. Is this a new thing? Does anyone know if players we required to have a tee off song? It definitely helped set the stage and gave the event sort of a party atmosphere. I only question whether the music was loud enough to carry to other holes and interfere with other players on the course. At an event like this I think they would want to keep a certain level of decorum, but maybe this was agree upon in advance and the players were OK with it.

It makes me wonder if the organizers needed to obtain special waivers to do this? Typically this would go against the spirit of many other rules in the rule book.

We have done it for our A Tier event. Players freaking loved it. We had a small speaker and announced each player making use of tee times. It was just loud enough to be heard at the tee, but not enough to carry to other holes. We also have had players put down their favorite songs, at reg, to make a play list to play at tournament central during lunch and after the event.

I agree with this statement. I 100% believe that if she was on the lead with no symptoms, as she claimed, that she would have played. She still could've worn a mask if she truly wanted to play. After all, wearing a mask is the best way to prevent the spread of Covid.

You have no idea what she would have done. All we know is what she did.

And now sad men on an internet forum can judge her because they are jealous because she is better at discgolf than them and gets paid quite well to be better. And, even if she plays horribly , she still gets paid. I love it. Sad men with delicate egos.

That course is going to have the problem of being in the literal middle of nowhere. There would be multiple hurdles to holding an event out there. Cell service and nowhere for anyone to stay remotely near there are going to be big hurdles to overcome.

Bingo. The owner has WIFI that you hook into just so you can navigate, as there are no 'next tee' signs--and he is opposed to placing any, and cell phone coverage is very weak (I had 0-1 bars the entire time). Obviously wifi is not enough bandwidth for a top level tournament. Also true that lodging ANYWHERE close by will be an issue. EC is about 80 minutes from Harmony, with no decent concentration of hotels anywhere in between Columbia and Warrenton--if the idea was to utilize HB as well. If just using EC (maybe for a DGPT event), then staying in Warrenton would work. It is about 20 minutes to there.

I think the course itself could get to be world class--great mix of open and wooded holes, and several water hazards. But the lodging/cell would really need to be solved. Maybe the owner can build a 500 room hotel and a cell tower on the land?? There is actually lodging there but very minimal at present. Seriously though-the place IS large enough to rent 250 park model mobile homes, don't know about utils though. Hole 18 would be a great finishing hole with stands already in place.

They did copy the tee off song tradition for the Tyyni event in Finland, which in other respects was based on GBO as well, i.e. "largest disc golf event (but in Europe now)"

For our club hosting one of the courses used therein, it basically meant that it pretty much tied down one volunteer to click away on Spotify all day. Its kinda fun but not sure if worth the trouble.

Honestly don't get the people bothered by music.

I played a tourney at Tommy Schumpert in Knoxville a few weeks ago. There was a high school baseball game on the property during the afternoon round. They were blasting music through the PA. So the base might hit on Rumpshaker by Wreckx-N-Effect during the swing or putting stroke. And the course is next to a firing range, so constant gunshots.

I've occasionally played rounds in nature, but for 90% of my rounds, I hear traffic or a PA in the background or marching band practice or a concert or people having a cookout or the person in the house next to hole 6 having a domestic dispute while I'm putting. Same with movement in your putting line.

How are people not acclimated to that?

Honestly don't get the people bothered by music.

I played a tourney at Tommy Schumpert in Knoxville a few weeks ago. There was a high school baseball game on the property during the afternoon round. They were blasting music through the PA. So the base might hit on Rumpshaker by Wreckx-N-Effect during the swing or putting stroke. And the course is next to a firing range, so constant gunshots.

I've occasionally played rounds in nature, but for 90% of my rounds, I hear traffic or a PA in the background or marching band practice or a concert or people having a cookout or the person in the house next to hole 6 having a domestic dispute while I'm putting. Same with movement in your putting line.

How are people not acclimated to that?

Lol. If the people are bothered by a question online, then their mental game need some work.

I asked the question to generate conversation. I've never heard tee off music before so it was worth asking the question.

Naturally there will always be ambient sounds and sights on the course, but the music is part of the event. I personally think it is pretty cool and it would help get me in the right frame of mind. And it sounds like from other's feedback that players really like it.

So all is good.

Lol. If the people are bothered by a question online, then their mental game need some work.

I asked the question to generate conversation. I've never heard tee off music before so it was worth asking the question.

Naturally there will always be ambient sounds and sights on the course, but the music is part of the event. I personally think it is pretty cool and it would help get me in the right frame of mind. And it sounds like from other's feedback that players really like it.

So all is good.

It was mostly a sidebar and how people are always complaining about people talking/moving/etc.

I think the walk up song is super cool. They offer it for the AMs at Music City. And I love it.

I noticed each player had a tee off song,and it played loudly. Is this a new thing? Does anyone know if players we required to have a tee off song? It definitely helped set the stage and gave the event sort of a party atmosphere. I only question whether the music was loud enough to carry to other holes and interfere with other players on the course. At an event like this I think they would want to keep a certain level of decorum, but maybe this was agree upon in advance and the players were OK with it.

It makes me wonder if the organizers needed to obtain special waivers to do this? Typically this would go against the spirit of many other rules in the rule book.

Major League Baseball stadiums play "walk up" songs for players coming up to bat. The walk up songs definitely pump up the crowd a bit. I was at a Reds game last week and Joey Votto's song was Jolene by Dolly Parton! Me and my wife loved it! :clap:

Players showing some personality through their walk up song is a good thing.
I think a party atmosphere on the first tee is a good thing.

Are you wondering if the organizers need to get permission from the musical artist to play the song? That I don't know. That may be a royalties thing?

I'm sure players teeing off or putting nearby know and expect that music could start playing. (just as when they are playing next to a highway they know that a loud vehicle could come by or someone could honk their horn)

Major League Baseball stadiums play "walk up" songs for players coming up to bat. The walk up songs definitely pump up the crowd a bit. I was at a Reds game last week and Joey Votto's song was Jolene by Dolly Parton! Me and my wife loved it! :clap:

Players showing some personality through their walk up song is a good thing.
I think a party atmosphere on the first tee is a good thing.

Are you wondering if the organizers need to get permission from the musical artist to play the song? That I don't know. That may be a royalties thing?

I'm sure players teeing off or putting nearby know and expect that music could start playing. (just as when they are playing next to a highway they know that a loud vehicle could come by or someone could honk their horn)

Thank you for the feedback. I didn't think about royalties but that is a good point also.

I was actually wondering if the event organizers need to obtain a waiver from the PDGA to play music on first tee since it is not something normally done.

I remember them playing the music during each players throw at DDO.

Last edited:

Players could opt out. Nate Sexton, for example, did not have any.

There is nothing in the rules that prevents this. In all honesty, most players enjoyed it.

\

Sorry you had to go through that (the Reds game I mean)

At this point I'm just gonna stick to the Florence Y'alls. If I'm going to watch bad baseball I at least want it to be cheap!

Or that someone from a passing car could hang out the window yelling "Disc golf is for p*ssies!"

Yes, that really happened to me. Was in Phoenix playing at Los Olivos when it happened. An older couple was sitting on a bench near the tee and asked me "What did he say?" LOL!

Latest posts