• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Did my first two dyes today, for visibility purposes. Used worm dip. One successful d

hisdudeness47

Birdie Member
Tried worm dip for visibility. My first dyes! Need tips for champ plastic!

Woo! I dyed some discs! My first dyes ever. Used this simple tutorial (https://youtu.be/3XJcbEDHhaUl) on a tan Gateway Warrior (Evolution plastic), which turned out excellent, and my weak pink champ Teebird3 F2 (sort of like this one https://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/21808-scaled.jpg but much more dull), which did not.

Used the same dye on both, Quick Coat Worm Dip UV Blast - UV Yellow. Used the same Ziploc.

The results: https://imgur.com/a/Guif94F

Tried to take a few different angles on the teebird3, including some on my toilet.

The warrior is awesome. I now feel safe throwing it. The tb3 did not turn out so great. Still gonna throw it because it's the greatest disc ever created but that's irrelevant.

Why did this not turn out so hot? Anything special about champ plastic and worm dip? I left it in twice as long. I also made sure to swish the bag around again after the Warrior was done.

One difference, I wiped the F2 stamp on the tb3 with acetone before the dye. Rinsed it and cleaned it with water/soap afterwards though. Just did water/soap on the Warrior.

Is UV yellow dye just not great on this pink semi-gummy champ plastic? Did I mess something up? Any tips for making it better? I don't expect opaque or anything but I'm hoping for a LIL bit more visibility. Losing my tb3 would be like losing my first and only child. Can't let it happen!

Last edited:
ziploc? You just threw dye in a ziploc with the disc? never heard of this method

Yessir! Check out that YouTube vid I linked. It's very very easy. I'm definitely going to learn other dye methods now that I've been sucked into the game a bit, but I just wanted to get started with something easy that can help me find my discs in the juniper/sagebrush/dust easier. The Warrior turned out exactly as I had imagined. The TB3 is back to the drawing board...

I just realized my title is cut off. DOH!

Essentially I'm looking for tips/suggestions with worm dip and champ plastic to make it a bit more vibrant/visible. The dull pink of my F2 is really bad and it's a good test disc because it's easily replaceable if I mess something up and I am always down to own more Teebird3s :)

Last edited:
wash disc thoroughly with a magic eraser and look up other methods, glue bed, lotion bed, no need to dye a diss a certain color when you can buy a disc the color you want it. just my opinion.

Heat, heat, heat, it helps activate the dye, 2 hours at 110 degrees with a heat lamp and then let disc rest for 48hours.

wash disc thoroughly with a magic eraser and look up other methods, glue bed, lotion bed, no need to dye a diss a certain color when you can buy a disc the color you want it. just my opinion.

Heat, heat, heat, it helps activate the dye, 2 hours at 110 degrees with a heat lamp and then let disc rest for 48hours.

Noob question but when, where, and how are you applying the heat with the heat lamp?

Noob question but when, where, and how are you applying the heat with the heat lamp?

yessir, heat lamp and get a infrared thermometer if you can. Can get a heat lamp at any home improvement store.

never go over 110 degrees or you start messing with the characteristics of the plastic itself if you get too hot.

I've been doing some of this with the sole purpose being easier to spot under UV light.

Most of the discs I've soaked in worm dip you can't tell they have dye on them at all other than under the UV light.

I do use glow tape for night golf, but figure a little extra reflectivity is a good thing.

Latest posts