• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Different names locals have for courses

hoppedup

Par Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I was playing last year in Nashville and pretty much had courses planned out. I asked any locals I ran into about other courses in the area to make sure we were playing the goods. At one course, the locals asked if we had played Shelby Park or Wave Pool. I replied that I hadn't even seen them on DGCR, my resource for finding golf courses.

With a little research it turned out we had played Shelby Park, listed here as Naval Hill. Naval Hill DGC is in Shelby Park. We had not played Wave Pool, which is Two Rivers Park. Two Rivers Park has a water park. Is this common?

Sometimes course names differ from the park that they are in. For instance, my local course is called The Preserve, but its located in the North Charlotte Regional Park.

Two I know of around here:

In Conifer, CO there is a course called Beaver Ranch DGC. "Beaver" and "Conifer" are used interchangeably to describe the course. I used to think it was two different courses until I actually played there.

In Denver, Lakewood Dry Gulch is better known as Paco Sanchez, or simply "Paco" I have no idea why.

Milo McIver is the name of the state park. Riverbend DGC is the actual name of the course within the state park. Everyone calls it Milo.

With a little research it turned out we had played Shelby Park, listed here as Naval Hill. Naval Hill DGC is in Shelby Park. We had not played Wave Pool, which is Two Rivers Park. Two Rivers Park has a water park. Is this common?

No, I've never heard anyone ever refer to Two Rivers as "Wave Pool." That's actually pretty comical.

But I do agree that Shelby being called Naval Hill is confusing, even to locals. It's called that because the building in the fence near 13&14 is an old Naval Recruiting Center, but most everyone calls it Shelby.

Two I know of around here:

In Conifer, CO there is a course called Beaver Ranch DGC. "Beaver" and "Conifer" are used interchangeably to describe the course. I used to think it was two different courses until I actually played there.

In Denver, Lakewood Dry Gulch is better known as Paco Sanchez, or simply "Paco" I have no idea why.

David Lorenz Park in Littleton we always called "Lighthouse", because of that lighthouse thing on the liquor store next door. Paco is called that because part of the park the course is located on is Sanchez Park, named after Paco.

None around here, but in Charlotte Elon Long and Elon Short are mostly called Angry Beaver and Eager Beaver.

In Nashville some of the locals call Seven Oaks "Seven Tokes".

In Atlanta
Oregon Park = OP
Alexander Park = Alex
East Roswell Park = ERP
Sequoyah Park = The Sac
Deer Lick park = The Lick
Perkerson Park = Perk
Rosewood Dekalk = Redan (AKA God's Country)
JP Moseley = The Mose
Herman C Michael = The Herm

Often around here (and I'm sure elsewhere), a course or the park its in has an official name, but if its the only course in town, its simply referred to by the name of the town its in.

Yep, just in my region, Osage Grove is usually called "Goshen" (the town it's in here in OH), and never for the park name (Kathryn Stagge-Marr).
Lincoln Ridge (in Independence, KY) is most often referred to by the old course name ("Banklick"), even though they actually moved the course (I hear...I'm still a relative noob)
Up in Dayton, I would think that Westwood DGC would be called that, but locals usually call it "Clayton", and Handyman Ace Hardware is usually just called "Fairborn" (for the town).
In all, it can get really confusing when you're first getting familiar with your area courses!

In my hometown of Missoula, there's a course in a neighbor town called Echo Valley that is best known by the moniker "Fort Wenty"

Milo McIver is the name of the state park. Riverbend DGC is the actual name of the course within the state park. Everyone calls it Milo.

Yeah same goes for the three individual courses at Hornings Hideout. All my friends just call it "hornings" regardless of the course we play there.

My local is called Druid Hill Park...we just call it "Droodle" or is that just the South Baltimore accent coming through?

Often around here (and I'm sure elsewhere), a course or the park its in has an official name, but if its the only course in town, its simply referred to by the name of the town its in.
That's my experience as well. In Chicago a lot of the courses were known by the town name. I never remembered the name of the parks but I knew what town I drove to, so saying "Lockport" meant a lot more to me than saying "Trinity Links."

So many park names sound the same, so going by those would be confusing. The names "Prairie Park" and "Pioneer Park" are easy to confuse, but if you have ever been to both DeKalb, IL and Kirkland, IL you won't confuse the towns.

Most get called the city its in (Cedar Hill, Crowley instead of the course name). A few have nicknames, Zebo for Z Boaz.

3 here. Oak Grove DGC is isn Hahamonga Watershead Park. Everyone just calls it Oak Grove or OG. Sylmar DGC is technically in Veteran's Park in Sylmar, CA. Chavez Ridge DGC is sometimes referred to as Dodger Stadium as it's right across the street from the ballpark.

Ask anyone in Waterloo, IA about Valley View Park and they have no idea what you're talking about. Everybody calls it Ghost Town.

Legion disc golf course in Marion, Iowa is in Thomas Park and both names get used.

Latest posts