• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Different names locals have for courses

I was thinking this wasn't an issue around here. But then I remembered a recent round in the Raleigh area where I asked a local about Buckhorn and he said it must be near the one at County Lake Park. Buckhorn is the course at Harris Lake County Park.

It's probably also a product of not every disc golfer spending hours on DGCR poring over potential courses to play.

No, I've never heard anyone ever refer to Two Rivers as "Wave Pool." That's actually pretty comical.

The guys who called it Wave Pool might not have ever heard of the internet. They certainly made "Seven Tokes" make sense, though.

Most common instance of that around here is Token Creek, listed as Vallarta-Ast on here, but nobody calls it that.

I imagine most players use abbreviations or nicknames for their local courses, but that's kinda weird that someone would use local shorthand to describe a course to someone obviously from out of town. Here in Wilmington we call Castle Hayne Park simply "The Castle," Joe Eakes Park DGC "The Beach," Cougar Country and Bill Smith Park in Brunswick County "CC" and "BSP," and Arrowhead...well, "Arrowhead." However, whenever I run into out-of-towners and they ask for other options I'll always give them the full name of the course and directions.

Our local bootleg course, listed here as Brickyard Bayou, gets the abbreviation treatment to BYB, which, being almost there, gets mutated to BYOB.

And Desert Fox/Little Fox get called by their park name, Paul B. [Johnson], which is terribly sad, as the story to how they got called "Desert/Little Fox" is probably the best story of naming we have on DGCR.

Ask anyone in Waterloo, IA about Valley View Park and they have no idea what you're talking about. Everybody calls it Ghost Town.

Legion disc golf course in Marion, Iowa is in Thomas Park and both names get used.

took the words right out of my keyboard.

Most of the State Parks around here are rarely referred to by their course names. Always by the Park name or some shortened version of the park name. For example no one says, "How about a round at the Blue Herron?" It would simply be, "How about a round at Beaver?" The Blue Heron DGC is located in Beaver Island SP. But I suspect that's pretty common.

None around here, but in Charlotte Elon Long and Elon Short are mostly called Angry Beaver and Eager Beaver.

Robbins Park confuses people by starting in the Westmoreland Athletic Complex. Oak Grove in CA seemed to be also called Hahamonga...

I don't think I've ever heard the course at Thomas McAlister Winget park referred to as anything other than "Winget" by a local. It's listed as "Plantation Ruins at Winget".

Most of the State Parks around here are rarely referred to by their course names. Always by the Park name or some shortened version of the park name. For example no one says, "How about a round at the Blue Herron?" It would simply be, "How about a round at Beaver?" The Blue Heron DGC is located in Beaver Island SP. But I suspect that's pretty common.

I hear "Shore Winds" and "Lakeside" used pretty interchangeably.

In Raleigh there is Kentwood DGC in Kentwood Park which is on Kaplan Road. I have heard many people refer to the course as Kaplan.
In Southern Pines there used to be a course listed on DGCR as "Southern Pines DGC". Now that the land is officially a city park it is called Village of Pinehurst.
In Chapel Hill DGCR has Southern Community Park DGC but I have always heard the course called Dogwood.

On a side note, my home course in Raleigh is Cedar Hills Rotary park so when i was in Nashville a couple of years ago I found Cedar Hill DGC. Of course I had to play it. Sad to say Nashville's Cedar Hill is more fun and challenging than Raleigh's Cedar Hills.

On a side note, my home course in Raleigh is Cedar Hills Rotary park so when i was in Nashville a couple of years ago I found Cedar Hill DGC. Of course I had to play it. Sad to say Nashville's Cedar Hill is more fun and challenging than Raleigh's Cedar Hills.

Cedar Hill was my favorite course in the Nashville area. I enjoyed Cedar Hills Rotary recently as well. Well, except for the pond hole.

I don't think the various names for courses among locals will ever be a problem. I know I can come here and get good suggestions and figure out where the courses are.

My local is called Druid Hill Park...we just call it "Droodle" or is that just the South Baltimore accent coming through?

"You could be from South Baltimore if . . ." :D

On the Maryland boards, it took me a while to figure out "The Cod" and "Wap Wap".

Same in Grass Valley, a 40 minute commute for me, where Condon Park holds Squirrel Creek DGC. Very nice park and even better course.

This rings pretty true for the bay area (and it seems like other places too...) to call it by it's location not it's name.

Golden Gate Park DGC = "SF" or "Golden Gate"
Skyline Wilderness Park DGC = "Napa"
Aquatic Park = "Berkeley"
Lagoon Valley DGC = "Vacaville"
Oak Grove Regional Park = "Stockton" (we do not call it Oak Grove, which as was explained is AKA "OG" AKA Hahamonga Watershead down in SoCal)

Addison oaks= addison or addy
River bends= bends
Stony creek metropark= stony
Firefighters park is usually abbreviated to FF but always called firefighters by name

Boulder's 18 hole course is located at Valmont City Park. The property is kind of edge city, and is still being fully developed. When I was a tyke, the property was privately held, and the site of a junk car lot. You could pay a fee at the door and then go nuts taking parts off the hulks inside the lot. Today, as we trudge through the mud from one tee to the next, we still retrieve cool pieces of cars: chrome covered fins, steel door handles, a radio deck from an old Plymouth Valiant, etc. We call it the Junkyard as our little inside joke. Giving a park a nickname gives you "local" status, and establishes the park as "your" territory. I suspect that's a lot of why we see this so much.

Latest posts