• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc count - putters vs drivers?!

ChrisinFL

Eagle Member
About 4 months playing, and my addiction is out of control. I have to try everything that sounds like it might be good. I have over 30 putters and over 30 drivers. Curious about count, but also how many putters vs how many drivers everybody owns?

This sounds like a trap... did Mrs. "TheCatsAreInCharge" ask you to ask this?

Joking aside, I've been using the same couple of putter molds for 10+ years (vibram ridge + discraft zone... recently picked up the RPM Tui), so I've compiled a stack of back ups. Luckily, I've been able to sell off or donate extra putters so my stack probably stays at or below 30 putters.

The driver (distance and fairway) stack is much larger. Don't know the number off the top of my head, but it is definitely >30. For a while, tournaments always seemed to be heavy on drivers in the player packs. I'm partial to fairway drivers, so 7-9 speed are probably where I have built the biggest stack in terms of different molds and total count.

Having lots of putters is great for putter only rounds. When I first started playing I had 0 putters and 1 driver Elite z avenger ss. Now 6 years later I have about 8 putters and bag about 2-4.

If you just count "my" discs which I have thrown or will potentiailly throw rather than event leftovers and sales stuff I probably have roughly 40 putters, a dozen or so overstable approach discs, 20 or so mids, and roughly 50 drivers.

There are around 25 putters in my practice basket in the yard. My bag generally contains 4 putters, 1 OS approach disc, 2-3 mids, 2-3 fairway drivers, and 5-6 drivers.

Update: I got a ballpark count yesterday, and I have way more than I thought…. Putters - 50. Mids - 10. All drivers - 65. I quit buying any more mids because, so far, I can not throw mids or putters with a power grip at all - I am between erratic and total garbage there. That said, I now fan grip my putters out to about 100', and use my Watt as an approach disc out to about 125-150'. I plan on soon trying fan grip on my mids, and if I am not happy with the results on at least one of them, I will get a second Watt, and just use the two Watts as mid/approach discs until such time as I am able to throw mids. Drivers I am 200-225' normal, and 245' max is growing from very rare to every now and then. Form/technique still needs a lot of work, but gradually improving. Disc buying should slow down now - only a few light weight distance drivers (that are hard to find in stock) and very few putters on my now short list of ones I still might like to try. Plus, I have begun trading discs a little bit, both with a local player(s), which is a great win-win, as both parties get to try some 'new to us' plastic without buying more discs, and a little bit at a DG shop, which I mostly try to avoid because of how little value they give for them.

Putters: 3 for putting and 4 for throwing
Mids(speed 5): 3
Fairway (speed 6): 3
Control (speed 8&9): 3

16 discs total
Will probably add an overstable throwing putter (Tempo) when it is released.

Putters: 3 for putting and 4 for throwing
Mids(speed 5): 3
Fairway (speed 6): 3
Control (speed 8&9): 3

16 discs total
Will probably add an overstable throwing putter (Tempo) when it is released.
I wish I had your discipline!

Update: I got a ballpark count yesterday, and I have way more than I thought…. Putters - 50. Mids - 10. All drivers - 65. I quit buying any more mids because, so far, I can not throw mids or putters with a power grip at all - I am between erratic and total garbage there. That said, I now fan grip my putters out to about 100', and use my Watt as an approach disc out to about 125-150'. I plan on soon trying fan grip on my mids, and if I am not happy with the results on at least one of them, I will get a second Watt, and just use the two Watts as mid/approach discs until such time as I am able to throw mids. Drivers I am 200-225' normal, and 245' max is growing from very rare to every now and then. Form/technique still needs a lot of work, but gradually improving. Disc buying should slow down now - only a few light weight distance drivers (that are hard to find in stock) and very few putters on my now short list of ones I still might like to try. Plus, I have begun trading discs a little bit, both with a local player(s), which is a great win-win, as both parties get to try some 'new to us' plastic without buying more discs, and a little bit at a DG shop, which I mostly try to avoid because of how little value they give for them.
Don't force a grip that's not working for you. Everyone's hands are a bit different. One size doesn't fit all.

I also don't like to power grip mids. I use something like Climo's fork grip on mids and have most of my best throws with them.

No idea what my disc totals are, but I've got way too many. Probably way more drivers than anything else.

I carry 3 putters in my full bag: an overstable, an understable, and a brick for high winds.

I carry at least 4 drivers: an overstable meathook, an overstable fairway, a straight fairway, and an understable fairway

I carry 3 putters in my full bag: an overstable, an understable, and a brick for high winds.

I carry at least 4 drivers: an overstable meathook, an overstable fairway, a straight fairway, and an understable fairway
My game day bag is usually about 4-5 putters, Watt (used as approach disc), 3-4 fairway drivers, and 4-5 light weight distance drivers.

Nice man, I can see the Watt working out for you. What are you using it for? Putter/mid tweener, are you into the smooth rim? Semi forgiving yet weirdly understable capable flight? Kinda feels like a workable buzzz putter, more so than the nexus.

My bag FWIW and BIWB (because I'm a windbag)... tourney setup

4+ P/A 2 Plz & e envy, glitch, spin(?)
2 mids, 3 tops. Uplink(s), comet, hex
3+ fairway (all rhythms)
1 Or 2 driver (tesla)
1 or 2 distance flavour of the month
1 stupid wind disc (155 motion or 170 mayhem)

Standard bag is easy,
3 putters, 2 mids, 2 rhythm, 1 distance

Nice man, I can see the Watt working out for you. What are you using it for? Putter/mid tweener, are you into the smooth rim? Semi forgiving yet weirdly understable capable flight? Kinda feels like a workable buzzz putter, more so than the nexus.

My bag FWIW and BIWB (because I'm a windbag)... tourney setup

4+ P/A 2 Plz & e envy, glitch, spin(?)
2 mids, 3 tops. Uplink(s), comet, hex
3+ fairway (all rhythms)
1 Or 2 driver (tesla)
1 or 2 distance flavour of the month
1 stupid wind disc (155 motion or 170 mayhem)

Standard bag is easy,
3 putters, 2 mids, 2 rhythm, 1 distance
Watt - yes, tweener. My putting putters generally reach up to about 80' with a fan grip. I can't throw mids or putters worth a crap with a power grip, so I go to my Watt that I can get up to 125-150' with a fan grip. The smooth rim is not a feature I care about - I like that it flies very straight, and kind of forgiving. Even with that high glide number, it is not 'floaty'. I guess fair to say I use it shorter but comparable to the way many use a Buzzz. I park so many approach shots with my Watt, that I can't imagine my bag without it right now.

I got about 40 discs in total and of that it is 14 putters, 7 mids and 19 drivers.

In the bag it is more like 5 putters (Aviars and Harps) 4 mids (Roc3s) and 11 drivers (all over the place).

When it comes to putters vs drivers: there are not that many shot shapes I need putters for. I went back to using my dx Aviars for all sorts of upshots as they do everything from mildly OS to drifting right and sometimes break out the Harp. How your bag is composed also depends on the type of courses you play. Some years back McBeth was famous for his huge stack of Roc3s as the courses were shorter and there were more midrange shots available.

I also need to grip my deep putters (the Aviars) slightly different and give them less power or they will roll over. For them it is more like a controlled and soft shot. My shallow putters (like a Proxy, Envy, Harp and so on) I can just power grip and rip on them with full power.

Depends what you consider a putter and what you consider a driver. This is the way I usually group things

3 and Under Putters, 4-6 mids, 6.5-8 fairways, 9-10.5 control drivers, 11+ distance drivers
- 43 Putters
- 60 Mids
- 29 Fairways
- 49 Control Drivers
- 46 Distance Drivers

My game day bag is usually about 4-5 putters, Watt (used as approach disc), 3-4 fairway drivers, and 4-5 light weight distance drivers.

This sounds better than I expected, given all your purchasing!

Try to keep your game day bag as consistent as possible, and the more you play them, they'll sort themselves out. You'll want to try different weights and plastics of the molds that you use most often, and you'll remove those that you don't find yourself throwing.

Then be careful about trying too many other discs during your field work - and focus more on getting as many different shapes and distances you can from the best in your game day bag.

In the long run, I'd bet that you'll bag fewer putters. Or at least I bet that you'll consistently use fewer putters than 4-5!

At the moment I bag 7 putters, 3 mids, 7 fairway drivers, and 9 distance drivers (although those are split between 9 and 11 speeds).

As for your new addiction, I suggest you find a disc mold that really works for you (the Envy for example) and try it in different plastics (Neutron, Glow, Electron, Proton) and find the small differences (Electron, the base plastic, beats up and becomes flippy faster. Neutron is middle of the road stable, and Glow is very stable right out of the box). It gets you more comfortable with your stuff and saves you from buying discs you end up hating.

I would honestly hate to try and count all the discs I own... (to preface I TD a lot of events, play a lot of events, routinely dive to local ponds to return discs to their owners, and I'm pretty much the lost and found guy who people turn found discs over to in order to get back to their owners) I'd estimate somewhere in the 2500 range on used discs that either had no name on them or the owner told me to keep. And probably in the 1000-1200 range on new plastic at any given time because I buy in bulk to supply my events. Every off season I donate all the used discs that weren't claimed to the local high school PE program, so that helps thin the herd.

Bag wise I rotate discs based on course but I have in that rotation:
5 Putters (4 same mold different plastic, 2 of which are putting putters, and 1 Overstable Approach)
5 Mids (Only bag 4 but cycle in 1 depending on course, 4 are the same mold, plus 1 Very Overstable Mid)
6 Fairways (3 7 speeds that are the same mold and 3 9 speeds that are the same mold, bag between 4-5 depending on course)
8 Distance Drivers (1 very unstable utility disc, 1 very overstable wind disc, and 6 of the same mold, only bag 6 depending on course (water holes) and I cycle them to season them in case I lose 1)

I'm a mold minimalist for the most part, I like trusting the disc and having that comfortable familiar feel. It also makes buying tons of flashy new discs or trying tons of other companies less appealing. I'd rather just learn the molds that feel and fly good for me and buy backups and throw what I like and am comfortable with. There is no right answer, You can bag 25 different discs and have one for each shot shape and distance, and that's fine. You can bag 3-5 discs and light courses up if you know every conceivable angle to put those discs on and how they react.

This sounds better than I expected, given all your purchasing!

Try to keep your game day bag as consistent as possible, and the more you play them, they'll sort themselves out. You'll want to try different weights and plastics of the molds that you use most often, and you'll remove those that you don't find yourself throwing.

Then be careful about trying too many other discs during your field work - and focus more on getting as many different shapes and distances you can from the best in your game day bag.

In the long run, I'd bet that you'll bag fewer putters. Or at least I bet that you'll consistently use fewer putters than 4-5!
We usually throw two discs each, and play the best one. So, putters, I mainly use two Jawbreaker Banger-GTs now, but bag two Fierces (which are my previous favorite) in case the Bangers get acting up (I am pretty new to using them), and 1 Soft Magnet, which was my favorite prior to Fierce, and I like SM for curving around trees in case the Bangers or Fierces decide not to do it well. I practice putting a lot at home, but don't really practice going around obstacles much. But, I reserve the right to decide, if a particular putter(s) seem 'off' on a given day, to switch it up, so I want a different putter to switch to.

As far as putters go.. I pack two identical plasma 167g envy. If ones off I switch to the other, it helps with warm up as well and its a backup in case one gets lost... pre tourney i often play off a dozen or so of em (all the same) and pick the two that are hitting putts. If it's real bad and I'm missing short I will use my 174g electron, if I know I'm playing tonals I will also pack a 174g neutron envy so I don't miss short side haha.

Then there's something flippy like a glitch or spin... so 4 or 5 p&a is a‐OK in my books.

As far as putters go.. I pack two identical plasma 167g envy. If ones off I switch to the other, it helps with warm up as well and its a backup in case one gets lost... pre tourney i often play off a dozen or so of em (all the same) and pick the two that are hitting putts. If it's real bad and I'm missing short I will use my 174g electron, if I know I'm playing tonals I will also pack a 174g neutron envy so I don't miss short side haha.

Then there's something flippy like a glitch or spin... so 4 or 5 p&a is a‐OK in my books.
Oh yeah - that too. I use all 4-5 putters and the Watt so I can warm up quick before I play. I definitely plan to get at least ten of a single putter, probably Jawbreaker Banger-GT, but still waiting to make sure of which one. I was spin putting with a unique stance, but just this week decided I was unhappy with my short range progress, so I am now in the middle of changing to a more conventional spin putt. I have to use all of my putters - have more open competition, with the technique change, before deciding for sure which putter will be 'my' putter.