• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc count - putters vs drivers?!

I currently have 83 discs. 25 distance drivers, 16 fairways, 17 mids, and 23 putters. Many of these are the same disc in different colors and states of wear.

putters------2-4-----[of inventory ~30?
mids---------2-4-----[of ~10
fairways-----2-4-----[of ~15
distance-----29------[of ~ 50
JK! really, ---5-8+ in the bag. I need a bigger bag, tho.

Last edited:
I have 1-1.1k and I would say 100 or so are putters and a couple hundred mids and the rest are drivers. If they look cool or seem like they would be nice in my bag or to carry a tub of discs to practice with, I will buy em.

I have 1-1.1k and I would say 100 or so are putters and a couple hundred mids and the rest are drivers. If they look cool or seem like they would be nice in my bag or to carry a tub of discs to practice with, I will buy em.
Seriously? That blows my mind. I am guessing I am up to about 150, maybe more, and I am trying to pump the brakes some. I now try to have the mindset, anything I am considering buying, I first check to see if I already own a similar disc or discs, and if so, try out what I have and evaluate whether I need the new disc. This is a new thing for me, and in just a couple weeks it has already stopped me from a few almost certainly needless purchases. 1K discs would overwhelm my ability to store them. 150 is rough - I need to get some kind of devoted shelves soon!

Seriously? That blows my mind. I am guessing I am up to about 150, maybe more, and I am trying to pump the brakes some. I now try to have the mindset, anything I am considering buying, I first check to see if I already own a similar disc or discs, and if so, try out what I have and evaluate whether I need the new disc. This is a new thing for me, and in just a couple weeks it has already stopped me from a few almost certainly needless purchases. 1K discs would overwhelm my ability to store them. 150 is rough - I need to get some kind of devoted shelves soon!
If you're serious about continuing to pump the brakes (and congrats on avoiding needless purchases), and you really don't want to be a Collector, then DON'T get shelves. You'll just feed the habit that way.

I probably hit 175 at my max, and I kept them organized by speed in milk crates. Once it got the the fourth milk crate, I knew I had a problem (a shopping problem).

I'm down to 84 now (82 after I send a few as part of used disc Xmas swap). My bagging and backups are around 50 of those, so I'm really talking an excess inventory of around 30. And 20 of those are waiting for my next trip to PIAS...

Here's what I've learned:

It's way too easy to buy untried discs on impulse, and it's easy to talk yourself into buying multiple discs of the same mold because you think you'll of course want backups.

Your discs will expand to fill any amount of space you give them.

Every C Tier means another disc or two.

It's much harder to get rid of discs than it is to acquire them.

After a year or two of play (and buying/trying/changing innumerable discs), you'll settle down. Or maybe get tired of spending so much money on discs that you don't bag.

It's the Circle of Life. And manufacturers depend on the stream of newbies with wallets to keep them chugging along.