• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Course Analysis

Could you do the teepad to basket percentages with the Discatchers too?

Also, a rating per number of holes would be really cool

Have you isolated the effect of having a designer named vs. none? I would be interested in not just the average, but whether having a designer might polarize ratings.
As an extension to this, it might be interesting to see rating by designer where there is one.

Could you do the teepad to basket percentages with the Discatchers too?

Also, a rating per number of holes would be really cool

There's no significant difference between DISCatcher courses and Total US in terms of tee types.

DISCatcher_Teepad.png

Below is a scatterplot of Baskets to Rating. The colors of the dots represent the # of Reviews (purple = low #, red = high # of reviews). I think this is the best way to portray this data as it shows the positive correlation between rating and number of baskets.

Basketsvs_Rating.png

Below is a scatterplot of Baskets to Rating. The colors of the dots represent the # of Reviews (purple = low #, red = high # of reviews). I think this is the best way to portray this data as it shows the positive correlation between rating and number of baskets.

Shouldn't that be a bubble chart?

I'll just keep sporadically adding short insights throughout the day.

More on HoleType below.

We saw earlier that DISCatchers were the most common type of basket, but where do they rank on basket quality? It turns out, they're directly in the middle!

Of the 34 basket types listed on DGCR, there are 16 that had better coefficients and 17 that had worse coefficients (the coefficient being the isolated impact of the basket on the course rating). # represents the number of occurrences each basket type has in the DGCR database.

Basket_Rank.png

It's no surprise that DG players clearly prefer chained baskets over object and tone baskets. There's nothing like hearing the sound of chains!

Since I was curious, http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=5614&mode=hi Here is the course with bullseye targets.

Shouldn't that be a bubble chart?

A bubble chart would allow a fourth variable to be shown (size of bubble/point), but jjtwinnova was only interested in two variables (I threw in # of reviews for fun).

I think the next things I'll be looking at are SSE impact on rating, Multiple Pins/Tees, Private & Pay 2 Play interactions, and designer impact. Designer is going to be a bit tricky because the data isn't structured very well for this attribute.

We'll see how/where it goes. Thanks for all the great ideas & feedback so far!

Could you possibly to a total combination of rating per state? Maybe which state has the highest and lowest average rating per course.

Thanks for all the hard work!

More on HoleType below.

We saw earlier that DISCatchers were the most common type of basket, but where do they rank on basket quality? It turns out, they're directly in the middle!

Of the 34 basket types listed on DGCR, there are 16 that had better coefficients and 17 that had worse coefficients (the coefficient being the isolated impact of the basket on the course rating). # represents the number of occurrences each basket type has in the DGCR database.

Basket_Rank.png
Interesting that the best basket coefficient belongs to dynamic recruit (a practice basket).

Interesting that the best basket coefficient belongs to dynamic recruit (a practice basket).

Yeah, that's why I posted the # of courses they're on as well. It received the #1 spot based on two reviews (here and here). One of the courses has three baskets lol.

Could you possibly to a total combination of rating per state? Maybe which state has the highest and lowest average rating per course.

Thanks for all the hard work!

By State

This was something I was working on this morning as well. The winner depends on if you compute the ratings by review count or by course count. In other words, imagine a simple example of a state with two courses. One has four reviews of 1,2,3,4 and one with a single review of 4. Should the state rating be (1+2+3+4+4)/5 = 2.8 or (2.5+4)/2 = 3.25?

If you do it by course count (the second method)...

Highest State Rating: Louisiana with 2.97 rating with 46 courses.
Lowest State Rating: Nebraska with 2.10 rating and 77 courses.

If you weight by review count...

Highest State Rating: Massachusetts with 3.53 rating and 44 courses
Lowest State Rating: Rhode Island with 2.53 rating and 3 courses

State with Most Baskets: Texas (5167 baskets)
State with Fewest Baskets: Rhode Island (46 baskets)

State with Most Baskets per Million People: Wyoming (1,047 baskets / million)
State with Fewest Baskets per Million People: Rhode Island (44 baskets / million)

State with Most Baskets per Sq Mile: Delaware (.09 baskets per square mile)
State with Fewest Baskets per Sq Mile: Alaska (.0007 baskets per square mile)

I'm surprised by the Designer Pro appearance on the positive side of things. I will need to check out the courses that they were on. I played one course with them. It was a very average course installed on a par thre ball golf course. If the others were on ball golf courses, too, that might indicate a trend.

Well it sure would be nice if all baskets were listed and "baskets" and "other" were deleted as chioces. As it stands, discatcher could be pro,sport or even a canvas-covered basket.

Average # of Baskets by Year

Here's another interesting trend. Average # of Baskets per course per year has been on a downward trend since the mid 90s. For courses established in 1990, there are an average of 19.5 baskets per course. Now, in year-to-date 2016, the average number of baskets is only 12.8, a decline of 35%.

Lucky for us, annual # of courses installed each year has been growing steadily since the inception of the sport in the 70s (see post 1).

Two thoughts on this...

1. Is this caused by the growth of 9 holers?
2. Are people going back to older courses and expanding them?

Avg_Baskets_Year.png

Definitely more to come.

Good stuff....thanks for posting this, ElementZ!

I'm surprised Chainstars aren't more popular than DisCatchers. Definitely like not having that chastity belt....

Just following up on the average # of baskets per year post...

9 holers or less started out being a relatively small percent of courses established in the 80s and 90s (20%), but they really started taking off as a percent of new courses installed in the 2000s. Since 2010, they've made up over half of new courses installed (with the exception of 2013).

9_holers.png

I just received the data for Multiple Tees/Pins, Designer, DGCR SSE, Course Terrain/Landscape, Private/Pay2Play, and Course Length. I'm really excited to see what kind of insights I can pull from this. Today should be a fun day.

Please let me know if there is anything you're curious about (or have an hypothesis about)!

I just received the data for Multiple Tees/Pins, Designer, DGCR SSE, Course Terrain/Landscape, Private/Pay2Play, and Course Length. I'm really excited to see what kind of insights I can pull from this. Today should be a fun day.

Please let me know if there is anything you're curious about (or have an hypothesis about)!

Do the math right. Don't just look at the ratings as a function of the item being studied, show the ratings as a function of the ratings that would be expected based on all the other items besides the one being studied.