• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Geocaching

"Geocachers shouldn't be on the course because of _(insert reason)__"

sounds an awful lot like the argument

"Disc golfers shouldn't be in parks because of _(same reason)__"

Just sayin...and I'm not one FWIW.

In my short time geocaching I would say the geocachers I have met so far are more apt to not trash the area they're looking for a cache. I've been playing Disc Golf most of my life and I can't say the same for fellow disc golf players.

That being said a sample of less than a year actively geocahing versus 30+ years disc golfing isn't really tar best way to decide between who takes care of their surroundings better.

Here's another tidbit about Geocaching versus Disc Golf. I only started geocaching in the past year. The main reason being the community where I work is interested in possibly doing a Geocaching Tour or Event. The other reasons being I have a friend who is really into geocaching and made it sound like a great family activity and I had a geocacher on my radio show and he made it sound interesting.

Anyway...I ended up doing the presentation for the funding for the Geocache Tour/Event. It was a slam dunk. If selling a community on Disc Golf was an easy as selling a community on Geocaching, there would be double the amount of courses world wide.

We can learn something from the organization of Geocaching...they are much better organized from the top down than Disc Golf is.

Here's another tidbit about Geocaching versus Disc Golf. I only started geocaching in the past year. The main reason being the community where I work is interested in possibly doing a Geocaching Tour or Event. The other reasons being I have a friend who is really into geocaching and made it sound like a great family activity and I had a geocacher on my radio show and he made it sound interesting.

Anyway...I ended up doing the presentation for the funding for the Geocache Tour/Event. It was a slam dunk. If selling a community on Disc Golf was an easy as selling a community on Geocaching, there would be double the amount of courses world wide.

We can learn something from the organization of Geocaching...they are much better organized from the top down than Disc Golf is.
Out of curiosity does Geocaching have a governing body? It seems like a fun activity and would be awesome to go geocaching while I am playing disc golf.

I've found 4 cache's in Charlotte (with no GPS) while building disc golf courses.
2 Stumpy Creek (Hole 13 was one)
Nevin (Hole 1)
Elon (Hole 2 of Angry beaver) <-- when I was mowing #2 for an ice bowl event WAY before the Angry beaver course was designed. It was just #1 of the temp holes used for the icebowl.

I put them back but none of these are there any longer. That must be frustrating with Geocaching. Not finding the cache because someone took it. The one at Stumpy was a sweet metal Ammo box.

There is a really nice Geocache at Angry Beaver near 11's pin (about 100' SW under a fallen tree).

I used to check it periodically and would find random toys/trinkets, and a log book.

Out of curiosity does Geocaching have a governing body? It seems like a fun activity and would be awesome to go geocaching while I am playing disc golf.

YES! Groundspeak out of Seattle, WA runs all things related to geocaching. The official site is: Geocaching.Com

I was an avid/addicted geocacher until I picked up disc golf a little over a year ago. I'd hunt daily at lunch... and now I play nine holes. I've found over 4000 gecoaches across the country and abroad and hidden over 100... so I'm quite versed in the subject. Even hosted geocaching classes and events.

There are many geocaches in and around our disc golf courses... many of them even hanging the basket! I think the two can mutually co-exist quite well.

As for putting the two together in an event, I'd have to think on that some more. I can more easily see a combination ball golf and disc golf event. Ball golf was once another passion of mine. I have quite an addictive personality.

^^^Groundspeak is a great resource, but---geocaching does NOT have a governing body. There are no rules, no officers, no method of play. There is a sort of code of gamesmanship, much like we have here at DGCR, where you're expected to be truthful about your exploits[except, of course, for your internet distance :D :p].

I found one while looking for a lost disc on accident also. Not the most clever of hiding spots I will say that much..

The tools available to Geocahers provided by Geocaching.com are awesome and really the whole presentation is there in a 14 slide powerpoint presentation...that includes stats, decent graphics and ROI figures. This is what the PDGA needs to make available...an easy to follow presentation for getting new courses in the ground.

I'm sure one of the many PDGA consultants that read and post here will tell us why that's a bad idea.

Latest posts