• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Shoes

My main problem with most shoes is that the grip on the bottom of most shoes wears out after a few months. I buy some cheap hiking shoes from Dicks but the grip wears out so quick. I'm not terribly picky about feel or anything, but I can't be buying new shoes every 6 months because the sole is completely gone.

Any recommendations for shoes that will hold up for 10 rounds a week for more than 6 months?

My main problem with most shoes is that the grip on the bottom of most shoes wears out after a few months. I buy some cheap hiking shoes from Dicks but the grip wears out so quick. I'm not terribly picky about feel or anything, but I can't be buying new shoes every 6 months because the sole is completely gone.

Any recommendations for shoes that will hold up for 10 rounds a week for more than 6 months?

Like i said, Adidas Samba.. 5 time a week 4 rounds per day= 20 rounds a week for a year and half, still living within the same sole and got hundred miles on the soles left. Most of the course i play with are concrete tee's. give it a try, let me know in 6 months if they're still spankin' good and i'll take kudos for it :)
But only issue the inside the shoes will wear out from all the footwork/pivoting. but basically molding foot into the shoes. no issues/pain or anything for me.
The other guy had "waterproof spray on it" idea which would work on it, i'll try using on mine.

I can't imagine wearing smooth-soled shoes for disc golf. Yes, somewhat useful on the tee, but here in the mountains there are plenty of hillside putting lies where someone wouldn't be able to get into a legal stance with skate shoes.

You get what you pay for. Last weekend, we went shoe shopping. Wife got Frye boots @ $190, I got a pair of goretex upper/vibram soled Merrell Moabs for $115 and my 5 year old son got a pair of Keen Targhees for $50.

$355 for 3 pairs of shoes, but we should all be good for a while, at least until the boy hits another growth spurt.

Anything from REI?

I just returned a pair of Merrell Earths that I got because the toe started to seperate a bit after a couple of months. With the 20% off coupon for members I got the Merrell Chameleons for about $10 more than I paid for the Earths. Seems like a bomber shoe and waterproof. and if takes a crap I can always return it for another pair. 100% trade in value. It's worth the extra you pay at REI, the 10% check at the end of the year on purchases, and the warranty, it's a nice win win.

I can't imagine smooth soles either, not for the courses I play regularly. Maybe if we had more groomed courses or flat ones.

Love my Moabs. Wear them as everyday shoes and for discing. Had them since the beginning of the summer and they've held up really well.

I've been rocking a pair of Adidas Kanadia for a while. Comfy and grippy.

These get a little slick when it's wet but most groups let me play through

301g.jpg

No chance in Michigan. A good pair of Merrel hikers with a super aggresive tread. Work well on cement and tear up terrain. They fit my feet well, waterproof, wear well and are still pretty light weight. I go through about a pair a year, but that is with regular use as well. Treat your feet right, they will treat you right.

I swear by my Merrel hiking shoes with the Vibram sole's. I wear them all of the time and I love them to death!

Picked up these for about 99 bucks. They're great for disking, hiking, camping, and fishing. They have a composite toe, that replaces steel toe, so you don't freeze your toes in cold weather and so you don't lose your toes if the shoe gets crushed. Comfy with good water protection all the way around the toe and good ventilation for hotter days. Has a great grip for the sole.

Dislikes: When not broken in, the lips around the ankle can dig in, and the laces come untied fairly easy if not tight. Also not a slip on shoe.

For you guys who wear Keens, which model do you recommend? I play in NB's now and they are nice but Im wondering about a good pair of low top Keens.

I've been playing in my New Balance trail runners for a year and a half now. The lining inside the heel went a while ago, but the rest of shoes are very intact. Excellent grip both on and off the tee. I think they were $30 at Marshalls.

images

For you guys who wear Keens, which model do you recommend? I play in NB's now and they are nice but Im wondering about a good pair of low top Keens.

I wear Targhee IIs mids, and also have the Bryce WPs. I know a lot of people wear the Delavega, but I haven't went back to DG specific designed since the Milo's. I really like the mids because they aren't much heavier than other trail runners, give more ankle support and are better at keeping my feet dry.
Whatever pair you decide on, make sure to get the Keen-dry (waterproof)

I have always worn cross-training/running shoes. After seeing these two pictures of me, I don't know how I would do in anything stiffer...(zoom in on my right foot)
picture.php

picture.php

I have had these same shoes for almost a year now even with the abuse I put on them, and they still work great.

Last edited:
Merrell Moabs with Vibram soles. Don't get no better. Mine have held up amazingly and I don't just wear them for my daily round of DG.

I wear New Balance Minimus and LOVE them. I play in some rough terrain and they hold up great, give me plenty of grip, and are super light and breath will when its hot out....

Attachments

• NB.jpg
    NB.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 27
I've been wearing ES Square 2's (A skate shoe, case you didn't know Lol) while playing for about 4 months now. They're holding up pretty well. Tees around here are either concrete, grass, or rubber..I work at Kohl's so I've been looking on the shoe clearance racks to see if any good Nike/Addidas/NB running shoes get put on there.. but so far no luck. So for now I'll stick to my ES' that I got for free :)

my shoes

got these two pairs and they work very fine.
left: Salomon X-Ultra GTX
right: Keen Gypsum Mid
not cheap, but i think the best i can get.
no concret tees, just dirt and grass here in lower saxonie, germany...

Attachments

• Schuhe.jpg
    Schuhe.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 29

Latest posts