• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Stay and Play Clinics/Vacations?

Treeplant

Bogey Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
I was wondering if there were any 3 - 7 day long disc golf stay/play/learn packages out there, preferably put on by pros?

I did one for ball golf a few years back and it really helped my ball golf game and was a great experience.

Looking for somewhere that does accommodations and daily clinics, with or without personal or shared instruction time.

Is this a thing that exists in DG world?

Would be for wife and I, willing to pay few hundred a day type thing as part of a package.

That sounds like something that costs a lot of money.

Better than 80% of disc golf courses are free and even many of the ones that are pay to play cost less to play all day than nine holes at a public ball golf course do.

There's a reason for that, and due to that reason, fancy package things like a multi day clinic are somewhere between the drawing board and "they actually have those?"

No, there's not.

You might create your own---find a disc golf destination, near a pro you can hire.

But I'd be skeptical of paying anyone much money for lessons. First, because the fundamentals of disc golf technique are less settled than golf---there are all sorts of different viewpoints out there on what constitutes "proper" technique. Second, and more importantly, there's no guarantee on the teaching skills---particularly from pros, for whom natural athleticism is a significant component of their achievement. Not everyone can make the leap from being able to do something, to being able to identify and solve it in someone who can't.

I kinda hope that disc golf never becomes that moneyed, refined and sophisticated.

That being said, maybe pick a course near (in) a resort type setting and get in touch with the local club. Maybe you can hire a local pro to be your course guide/teacher. Some clubs have course captains. I guess they would assist visitors.

The closest thing I've heard to a package deal is the disc golf cruise. If you're ever in Texas though, there are a couple of nice airbnb's within a mile of the Flying Armadillo. Jay and Des Reading live a few miles away and have given lessons and clinics at the Dillo. It might be easy to arrange some multi-day private lessons after the tour finishes up.

You'd be more than welcome out in the bay area/ central coast in California. Even if you couldn't find pros on a scheduled to coach you on every course, it would be easy to do a 4-7 day driving tour. Stafford lake (Marin), (optional, usually quite hot in summer for shady oaks in Sacramento), golden gate park, with the option of Gleneagles (on the ball course) (SF), Delaveaga dgc (& muni course if Wednesday or sunday) here in santa cruz. Continue south to pinto lake (Watsonville) and Monterey to hit the Worlds' courses (scumb) and/or ryan ranch. It would be about an hour - 90 minutes drive each day with multi day options in each locale... And local pros in SF and Santa Cruz. Maybe local clubs or DGA offices to help with lining up clinic times?

Hotels can be pricey in our area, and I'd recommend spring but the weather is famously good just about year round.. And there's obvious other tourist amenities in the area. (or tie it into the week of NT and see if you can pull out the pro of your choice before or after the tournament schedule!)

Yes, there's a degree of homerism in all of this, and there are plenty of other quality course cluster destinations, including some with less driving. But for the mix of weather, sightseeing/ natural beauty, and high level players in the community I do think the Northern California /central coast region is at minimum on par with the best!

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

that was good, and I don't even know abby. by now you have probably left this thread.

if not, in all seriousness the sport is so grass roots and has evolved into a very low cost leisure sport, that we laugh.

one day this will happen and we won't be poking fun at such a thread. demographics are changing for sure and people who have money continue to adopt this great game.

Treehouz is a fantastic course in Branson, Missouri that has rental cabins lining some fairways. There are videos of a big event a couple of years ago somewhere on YouTube. Andrew Presnell lives nearby, he may be up for some coaching if he isn't on tour.

Branson Trails course is nearby as well. Extremely challenging.

Truth

that was good, and I don't even know abby. by now you have probably left this thread.

if not, in all seriousness the sport is so grass roots and has evolved into a very low cost leisure sport, that we laugh.

one day this will happen and we won't be poking fun at such a thread. demographics are changing for sure and people who have money continue to adopt this great game.

Instruction and training aids are both huge markets in the golf industry.

I consider my late fall tournament "The Bald Eagle Experience" an all inclusive disc golf vacation. 3 days 2 nights, all the disc golf you can handle (I dare you to try and out disc golf me :D ), lodging and food included. There's probably someone there that would be willing to give you some instruction when it's not tournament time.

I'm surprised by the crap responses in some of these replies and definitely the tone. Particularly the assumption that instruction/vaca means fancy or high end. There is a behavioral economics story in here somewhere. Buying $80 first run oop's is acceptable but spending a couple hundred to golf and learn is weird. My bag is full of hand me downs, found, and $5 lake discs, and I've never played a pay course. However, I've definitely thought about messaging Sidewinder and asking for lessons or costs and dropping a couple hundred bucks to camp nearby and get some instruction.

I get that pros are freaks skillwise, and that pro doesn't mean teacher, however, I as a 1 yr rec player can provide form feedback simply by wtching. High level players almost always will have good helpful info to Share .

Bummed that you think the way you do, DavidSauls.

No, there's not.

You might create your own---find a disc golf destination, near a pro you can hire.

But I'd be skeptical of paying anyone much money for lessons. First, because the fundamentals of disc golf technique are less settled than golf---there are all sorts of different viewpoints out there on what constitutes "proper" technique. Second, and more importantly, there's no guarantee on the teaching skills---particularly from pros, for whom natural athleticism is a significant component of their achievement. Not everyone can make the leap from being able to do something, to being able to identify and solve it in someone who can't.

A lot of wisdom here^^^^^^

Personally, if someone could get some of our teaching players together (Seabas/Sidewinder, HeavyDisc/JasonLeibgott, Danny L among others) to run a hands-on teaching clinic for a few days, I would pay to go to that.

Who's mocking you?

I merely said that there disc golf doesn't have established standards or teachers, and that because people are top pros won't necessarily make them good teachers either. Not that you shouldn't be willing to pay for lessons, but that it's tricky finding a qualified teacher for your money. That sort of thing just isn't established in disc golf.

Lots of people spend lots of money on things that I wouldn't. But I don't mock them for it; it's their money, their choice.

I have watched every video I can find and while most are made by great players few are good teachers. If you watch several you will get really confused. What one person tells you will totally contradict what another says. Neither is wrong it works for them but not for everyone. I think getting help from a pro would be good but I would be really careful who it was. A high player ratings might not relate to a good teacher rating.

I was wondering if there were any 3 - 7 day long disc golf stay/play/learn packages out there, preferably put on by pros?

I did one for ball golf a few years back and it really helped my ball golf game and was a great experience.

Looking for somewhere that does accommodations and daily clinics, with or without personal or shared instruction time.

Is this a thing that exists in DG world?

Would be for wife and I, willing to pay few hundred a day type thing as part of a package.

Treeplant, you have to know that a great many folks get bristly at the cost of things. If you suggest you have disposable income, you will get criticism about how you choose to spend it. Some folks won't be helpful. This can be ignored since it is wholly without reason, fairness, or maturity. Go spend your money any way you wish. Some people have offered advice. I suggest you focus there and not at the other useless and unhelpful comments.

Lastly, you are right this is not an elitist sport. Sometimes anyone can come off as elitist. There is no one here that is an elite anything...just some folks with a few bad ideas and the lack of understanding about our forum rules... Namely, contribute when you can and also be helpful, otherwise move on to another thread.

Last edited:

Latest posts