• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I feel the heavy disc; thank you everyone.

I'm working on my ability to use fewer words. Let's see.

This sounds right.

This is sneaky right. It's the thing many people have trouble believing and often don't have the patience to learn. Seems like it's more likely to happen on its own when you start young and is a freaking mess for many adults. It actually took me getting hurt 3 times and "gamifying" it like I was saying before it started to happen more reliably on its own.

Middle aged here and continuing to see small increases in distance every year. My number one practice tip and lesson learned over the past few years is that you can learn this stuff at any age, the secret is lots of practice and reps, and the way to do that is 50% power shots. I know you know this, but it's worth reiterating, you don't want to go to some empty field and strong arm power shots endlessly into the void. You do want to work on specific shots/angles/techniques by having a shorter range target and focusing on it, and by most importantly getting lots of reps in, but only throwing about half power.

This will allow one to get lots of those reps in, do it multiple times per week if possible, and to drastically reduce the wear and tear on the body and really reduce injury risk. Heck if 50% is too much drop it to 33% and start from there. I really started to see improvements doing this. I would bring one or two things out to the course I was working on, focus on them, and get lots and lots of throws this way.

It really reminds me of working out at a gym by lifting weights. You never just cram your max weight and go for 1 rep. Nobody with an impressive physique does that. What they actually do is much, much lighter weights than you think, and get in tons of reps, and repeat said process for years. They basically practice too.

When lots of pros and really good golfers would tell people to "practice lots with a putter" or "work on lots of standstill shots" I believe they basically stumbled upon the same thing above that I did and are trying to communicate this idea, albeit in a different way. By forcing yourself to throw putters or standstill shots you're dialing the power down a few notches and focusing more on the techniques involved.

Last edited:
Middle aged here and continuing to see small increases in distance every year. My number one practice tip and lesson learned over the past few years is that you can learn this stuff at any age, the secret is lots of practice and reps, and the way to do that is 50% power shots. I know you know this, but it's worth reiterating, you don't want to go to some empty field and strong arm power shots endlessly into the void. You do want to work on specific shots/angles/techniques by having a shorter range target and focusing on it, and by most importantly getting lots of reps in, but only throwing about half power.

This will allow one to get lots of those reps in, do it multiple times per week if possible, and to drastically reduce the wear and tear on the body and really reduce injury risk. Heck if 50% is too much drop it to 33% and start from there. I really started to see improvements doing this. I would bring one or two things out to the course I was working on, focus on them, and get lots and lots of throws this way.

It really reminds me of working out at a gym by lifting weights. You never just cram your max weight and go for 1 rep. Nobody with an impressive physique does that. What they actually do is much, much lighter weights than you think, and get in tons of reps, and repeat said process for years. They basically practice too.

When lots of pros and really good golfers would tell people to "practice lots with a putter" or "work on lots of standstill shots" I believe they basically stumbled upon the same thing above that I did and are trying to communicate this idea, albeit in a different way. By forcing yourself to throw putters or standstill shots you're dialing the power down a few notches and focusing more on the techniques involved.

Thanks for this Nick - well, I can only go so long before I write a ton over coffee, apparently.

Here's my personal not-quite-old-but-aging general take. There might be some "truths" here, I hope.

I agree about the points with putters and standstills, and I just realized that I take this advice very differently now. Something I underappreciated until recently is that neutral putters can also be perfectly fine stand-ins for drivers if the mechanics are sufficiently good to reduce nose angle issues and OAT. If a person doesn't know what I mean, they haven't discovered it yet. For my own growth, I started intermixing putters and drivers that have similar flight characteristics and this has taught me a lot about angle control and line control and distance and placement, and is making me much more comfortable at pinpointing gaps with little stress and less demands on the body. Studying players like Isaac Robinson or Tattar (and SW frankly) is teaching me a lot about how to attack woods and letting discs do as much work as possible work for distance if your driving form and game is built around a natural "stock" hyzer angle.

I'm always learning more about athleticism and optimizing for power and longevity and use it to improve my development. When I say "athleticism" I mean that broad class of things people who did sports in earnest early in life whether or not they did DG specifically. As they become teens and adults, their brains and bodies do all kinds of things they don't have to think about, and their bodies have a basis of strength, flexibility, and "reserve" that they might not be consciously aware of. People vary wildly in those respects, of course. I am asking a lot of athletes about their habits and growth experiences these days.

So some of this is very old hat to most people, but this is where I tend to spend the most time these days essentially developing DG athleticism later in life. I'm sneaking in one possible answer to "how do I get more distance?" if you follow my plot:

1. Once you have a move, you can almost always make it more efficient. I'm an obsessive maximizer and also worried about longevity, so I spend the most time here. Once it seems like I've gotten everything I can out of the move I start to move on/get input etc. A pristine move at 50% power should be celebrated just as much as a smash. Soak those in and say to yourself "****, that was clean." Then just move onto the next thing without overthinking it. Really, it helps. There's evidence for that. And learning to get work done at 50-60% when everyone else around you is struggling and spraying at 90-100% is a thing you can privately celebrate. Even better if they don't know you have a lot more in the tank when needed.

2. Each move probably has new athletic demands on the body, and the older you are, the less most bodies can take, especially if you're new to athleticism later in life. Always be learning about your body. You need it for a while.

3. Forced breaks are good for learning and for recovery. I usually don't notice things like overuse or microinjuries until 2-3 days after I last threw high volume or worked on power. Once things like cortisol etc. taper off the body shifts into a different kind of "repair" mode. I wish I had understood this better a year ago. Overuse injuries are very real in disc golf. People with more initial resilience are less likely to suffer them, but should be conscious of them.

4. My average throwing session now always starts with plenty of dynamic stretches including resistance bands, a few DG drills, pitching drills, and I start throwing around 50%, and just like lifting I scale it up in increments, ~10% at a time. I like working up to 80% these days since my body tends to get banged up more quickly at 90-100% no matter how good the move is. I usually find that 80% is a good sweet spot where I'm working on moving loose and athletic (for me) but less likely to bind up and accidentally jam things. For a given body, you can get a lot out of a good swing at 80%. I've been rehabbing for a few weeks recently so - just like lifting - if the body isn't feeling up to it that day I back off and just work on whatever it can handle, or stop. I'm always happy to grab short tee rounds at 50-60% like I mentioned and keep maximizing what I get out of my move. I now know I'll always throw farther more easily and consistently when I start to speed up again.

Relevant story: I started working with a guy who has been throwing comfortably in the 500s for a while now (in his 20s, athletic, Eagle McMahon body type + ambition to be a top pro) but was specifically interested in improving mechanics. I interview players about goals and their training. What I described above is how he does it too. One mechanical tweak gave him 50' in one day because he already had many other things going well for him. I only knew how to point it out to him since I've struggled so hard to get what I can out of my body and soaked up everything I can from SW. So it wasn't all credit to me, and I tell people where I learned it. People often don't see how much work goes into it before that can happen no matter what the player's background is. And different bodies and brains have different advantages and disadvantages. If people have trouble understanding that it is beneficial to study it. Not everyone does.

5. In my own body, I am constantly finding relative physical weaknesses in places that matter for throwing. When I'm not throwing, I'm working on those. If you are older and more sedentary, we can almost guarantee you have weaknesses and inflexibilities that affect your posture and movement. Some of that gets better just by learning to move better for DG. Some of it does not.

I often like to remind myself & others that distance training can look different for more athletic (in the right meaning of the word in this context), younger, otherwise advantaged etc. people. You can generally push much harder in various ways, especially if you were already the "right kinds" of athletic. If you want distance you need to work on it. There is no way around it.

But some of the principles are entirely the same no matter who you are. I do think there's plenty of wisdom for everyone in slowing down to master movement and gradually moving uptempo/more momentum and athletic demands within sessions and over time in general. The smart things you learn to do now will be worth much more later. Physical mileage varies. So does patience.

/article

Too long, didn't read.. j/k

Good read brychanus, always appreciate your overly long "blogs" - makes me think about the same stuff (turning 36 and having a ****load of injuries, really gets your mind going on being effecient with your time).

I had a "wtf" moment a few months ago. Because of stenosis and arthritis, I'm very limited in actual rounds and my go to power forehand is gone.

We got this NARROW straight 330 hole, where a par feels like a birdie. Usually i BLAST a FH hyzer flip-up with a fairway driver with a 90% chance I'll hit a tree somewhere down the line. Dealing with my neck, I'm throwing BH putter and mids.
Threw a deputy with what felt like 60% power and it just flipped perfectly up, held straight the entire way and parked the basket. I couldn't believe my eyes. Now, it's my go-to for any straight shot in the 300 range (max). I wish I've been throwing putters since day one

Not being able to play as much as I used to, i so a **** ton of drilling at home. Elephant walk and door frame drill is REALLY peaking my interest at the moment. I can't stop walking like an idiot and doing doorframe drills every time I walk past one, lol. My daughter can't stop laughing.

I need to update my form post, with a gazillion clips of me trying to rip off my door frame.

Random rambling over.

Too long, didn't read.. j/k

Good read brychanus, always appreciate your overly long "blogs" - makes me think about the same stuff (turning 36 and having a ****load of injuries, really gets your mind going on being effecient with your time).

I had a "wtf" moment a few months ago. Because of stenosis and arthritis, I'm very limited in actual rounds and my go to power forehand is gone.

We got this NARROW straight 330 hole, where a par feels like a birdie. Usually i BLAST a FH hyzer flip-up with a fairway driver with a 90% chance I'll hit a tree somewhere down the line. Dealing with my neck, I'm throwing BH putter and mids.
Threw a deputy with what felt like 60% power and it just flipped perfectly up, held straight the entire way and parked the basket. I couldn't believe my eyes. Now, it's my go-to for any straight shot in the 300 range (max). I wish I've been throwing putters since day one

Not being able to play as much as I used to, i so a **** ton of drilling at home. Elephant walk and door frame drill is REALLY peaking my interest at the moment. I can't stop walking like an idiot and doing doorframe drills every time I walk past one, lol. My daughter can't stop laughing.

I need to update my form post, with a gazillion clips of me trying to rip off my door frame.

Random rambling over.

Nice! I'm happy to continue littering this place with long and short form content.

Something a lot of people miss when drilling is that you can add tons of momentum and range of motion to them (make sure you're doing it right first, go from small to big). That's a huge part of gaining power too. Many people (including me for a time) simply aren't moving enough.

My gains at 48yo are less effort for same distance. If I try to throw real hard, I can get much farther, but from can suffer. I understand lotsa reps at low power for form improvements. Check. How do you practice high power throws then, since all the mechanics are faster? OR are you "sacrificing" max power ability for the sake of medium power efficiency?

Last tournament one of the MA40 guys said, "I wasn't expecting you to be throwing 400 feet". I wasn't throwing 400, but I did hit accurate 360. I'd love to improve to accurate 400.

Last edited:
*Envy's are the best throwing putters and you'll never change my mind.

Agreed. And you can have wildly different Envy's, all of them are good though.

I will say I have a buddy that I play with who can absolutely crush his Maidens, makes me curious because I have never owned one of those.

My gains at 48yo are less effort for same distance. If I try to throw real hard, I can get much farther, but from can suffer. I understand lotsa reps at low power for form improvements. Check. How do you practice high power throws then, since all the mechanics are faster? OR are you "sacrificing" max power ability for the sake of medium power efficiency?

Last tournament one of the MA40 guys said, "I wasn't expecting you to be throwing 400 feet". I wasn't throwing 400, but I did hit accurate 360. I'd love to improve to accurate 400.

Good questions.

TL/DR:
"How do you practice high power throws then, since all the mechanics are faster?"
For me, by scaling up the tempo and momentum until I reach the point breaks. Work in that area until you can advance.

"OR are you "sacrificing" max power ability for the sake of medium power efficiency?"
You need to work on distance to gain distance. It's generally easier and more sustainable if you scale up efficiently. You need to use more momentum than most players do. There are often unique physical challenges for some people.

TL/DR is already too long. Lmk if long version applies.

Agreed. And you can have wildly different Envy's, all of them are good though.

I will say I have a buddy that I play with who can absolutely crush his Maidens, makes me curious because I have never owned one of those.

Yup. I throw my putting putters for straight shots or turnovers. And premium plastic for straight to stable shots.

Internet distance and honesty make all of this really muddy lol. Legit 360' golf lines are sick shots, and you cant dispute that. I'd say you are probably in the upper echelon of real distance with accurate 360' shots. I do understand that it also feels quite effortless to throw this far, but...it really depends on what you mean by effort in your post.

I guarantee you every pro could perform a more violent action on the teepad, which would feel like 'effort' but be meaningless to the goal of throwing a disc far. This 'effort' is what most of us can probably relate to when we just try harder.

I don't believe the effortless vibe ever goes away fully if you are throwing correctly, even for those who throw much farther than you. You will never max out all of the possible muscular exertion that your body is capable of in a disc golf swing. When I throw 'harder' its more of a feeling of contracting my core harder, or even my diaphragm forcing out a little subdued throat noise.

This might be complete gibberish and not at all what you are trying to talk about.

Good questions.

TL/DR:
"How do you practice high power throws then, since all the mechanics are faster?"
For me, by scaling up the tempo and momentum until I reach the point breaks. Work in that area until you can advance.

"OR are you "sacrificing" max power ability for the sake of medium power efficiency?"
You need to work on distance to gain distance. It's generally easier and more sustainable if you scale up efficiently. You need to use more momentum than most players do. There are often unique physical challenges for some people.

TL/DR is already too long. Lmk if long version applies.

Normally over lunch break I go to a field (optimally turf football if I don't get kicked off ;) ), and throw fairways back and forth a few times, nice and easy. Then I try to power up and do high turnovers and bombs (for me) with more power. Then I'll Jen Allen my throws and start going haywire…. Or maybe succeed on some. Today was very pleasant for shot shapes. I'm not comfortable going Jen Allen on the course. I'll early release, hit a tree and go 90 left.

Internet distance and honesty make all of this really muddy lol. Legit 360' golf lines are sick shots, and you cant dispute that. I'd say you are probably in the upper echelon of real distance with accurate 360' shots. I do understand that it also feels quite effortless to throw this far, but...it really depends on what you mean by effort in your post.

I guarantee you every pro could perform a more violent action on the teepad, which would feel like 'effort' but be meaningless to the goal of throwing a disc far. This 'effort' is what most of us can probably relate to when we just try harder.

I don't believe the effortless vibe ever goes away fully if you are throwing correctly, even for those who throw much farther than you. You will never max out all of the possible muscular exertion that your body is capable of in a disc golf swing. When I throw 'harder' its more of a feeling of contracting my core harder, or even my diaphragm forcing out a little subdued throat noise.

This might be complete gibberish and not at all what you are trying to talk about.

I understand skepticism. If I can hit my line, I can throw that around trees. Regularly I hit trees, but sometimes shots go well, like that one day. Generally, people vastly overestimate how far they and the people they play with throw. If you were with me, I might need three tries, is what I'm trying to say. What you say makes sense. Thanks!

I understand skepticism. If I can hit my line, I can throw that around trees. Regularly I hit trees, but sometimes shots go well, like that one day. Generally, people vastly overestimate how far they and the people they play with throw. If you were with me, I might need three tries, is what I'm trying to say. What you say makes sense. Thanks!

Oh man I didn't mean it as questioning you, I just meant...that using distance to judge how well you are doing compared to others, especially distance/effort ratios, gets gnarly because people say some outlandish things.

A lower ceiling 360' turnover is a seriously good toss.

It just really depends on what kind of throws people are talking about for me to understand how to relate distance to the conversation.

. I understand lotsa reps at low power for form improvements. Check. How do you practice high power throws then, since all the mechanics are faster? OR are you "sacrificing" max power ability for the sake of medium power efficiency?

You don't need to practice high power throws. What you need to practice is lower power throws combined with filming your throw, rewatching said throws, watching pros do throws, figuring out where you're going wrong, and making corrections. Lots of reps and drills will help build in new "grooves" in your mechanics and smooth out old ones, like how walking path that isn't used anymore eventually becomes grown back in while a new path forms new "grooves".

You want to drill stuff that we talk about on this site here as well. And you need to do a LOT of reps, to build in new grooves and replace old ones. The way to do that is with a lot of repetition. The only way to do that safely over a long period of time is by dialing down the power drastically. The main throw mechanics are the same whether it's at 50% or 90%, really the only thing changing is the arm speed and perhaps length of reach back. What most are lacking is the proper mechanics, and there are tons of little minute parts that go into it that must be drilled and drilled.

It really reminds me of mastering a martial art, say like Jujitsu. Let's take a simple self defense situation
in which someone is on top of you pinning you down. You would think it's simple and basic to say execute a bridge and roll escape, but the reality is that there is like 30 different moving parts to the move, all of which need to be perfected to get the correct leverage to execute this move.

A good instructor wouldn't have you training this move at 100% full power. You'd never learn the correct form and you'd just end up hurting yourself. What he will do is break it down into parts, have you drill them at half speed for MONTHS at a time, over and over, constantly correcting the little mistakes your making in form, hammering in the correct grooves until it becomes 2nd nature. Then, when it's go time and you spar with someone, you can execute the move at full power to the best of your ability. But the secret to learning martial arts is that 99% of your time is doing drills at half power, rinse and repeat.

Last edited:
Maybe Simon and Barela could settle the dispute? Simon's already thrown a P2 over 400' WACO hole 18, so there's the standard.

Mark me down for putting 100 on the magnet winning.

Honestly I think at their caliber of throwing skill it would matter more who gets good wind on their throw than what their actually throwing.

You don't need to practice high power throws. What you need to practice is lower power throws combined with filming your throw, rewatching said throws, watching pros do throws, figuring out where you're going wrong, and making corrections. Lots of reps and drills will help build in new "grooves" in your mechanics and smooth out old ones, like how walking path that isn't used anymore eventually becomes grown back in while a new path forms new "grooves".

You want to drill stuff that we talk about on this site here as well. And you need to do a LOT of reps, to build in new grooves and replace old ones. The way to do that is with a lot of repetition. The only way to do that safely over a long period of time is by dialing down the power drastically. The main throw mechanics are the same whether it's at 50% or 90%, really the only thing changing is the arm speed and perhaps length of reach back. What most are lacking is the proper mechanics, and there are tons of little minute parts that go into it that must be drilled and drilled.

It really reminds me of mastering a martial art, say like Jujitsu. Let's take a simple self defense situation
in which someone is on top of you pinning you down. You would think it's simple and basic to say execute a bridge and roll escape, but the reality is that there is like 30 different moving parts to the move, all of which need to be perfected to get the correct leverage to execute this move.

A good instructor wouldn't have you training this move at 100% full power. You'd never learn the correct form and you'd just end up hurting yourself. What he will do is break it down into parts, have you drill them at half speed for MONTHS at a time, over and over, constantly correcting the little mistakes your making in form, hammering in the correct grooves until it becomes 2nd nature. Then, when it's go time and you spar with someone, you can execute the move at full power to the best of your ability. But the secret to learning martial arts is that 99% of your time is doing drills at half power, rinse and repeat.

I understand the concepts you're presenting, but it also sounds like with this method you'll never know your max distance. It's like the Karate guys in very early MMA competitions. They were used to punching and kicking to score points. Since they never practiced full power, their technique was obscured by the reality of combat, and they lost badly. Yes, that was extreme comparison :D and I definitely practice a low power mostly. But also throw high power so Inknow what to expect in case I need it on a real course, not a drill.

I think I have to disagree with this a bit. I find it very hard to throw low power or 50% as you say. And maybe it's just a practice or a form thing. But usually I go through my swing and just throw the disc. You can be less intense with it or maybe slow it down but you'll lose consistency with it. The most consistent thing is to find your swing at a comfortable level that's repeatable. Don't try to slow yourself down. It's why I find it difficult to throw under 200 foot shots since you have to find some way of powering down that's repeatable and consistent. And maybe it's taking away the x step, but I find that just swinging the arm gives 200ft pretty easy with even the slowest discs. Maybe that's why pros end up jump putting into the greater than hundred foot ranges or utilize sidearm flicks with the wrist when throwing approaches.

I think it's when you try to over power your normal throw is when you hit diminishing returns in distance or even less distance due to messing up your chain and timing.

Latest posts