• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Strength, Fitness, and Training routines

Sorry but I'm going to tear this apart a little and give my opinions

mcrow said:
What I've found that works for me for fitness, weight loss and disc golf is this:

Basic plan:

Lift weights 3x per week. Shoot for 3-4 sets of 7-10 reps to failure per set. Do Chest, shoulders, triceps day one, do legs day 2, and back, biceps, and abs day three.

You should not do all of your sets to failure, at most do your final set to failure but even that is not necessary. Also, for a 3-day split consider Chest/Biceps, Legs/Shoulders, Back/Triceps. This way the body parts don't compete with each other so you can keep your rest between exercises to a minimum (and thus burn more calories).

mcrow said:
Cardio plan:

Run 3-4x per week. If you lift on the same day, do the lifting first.

Run for 30 minutes, long distance pace. Shoot for 3 miles or more x 2-3 per week.

If your goal is to put on muscle then I suggest you keep clear of all steady cardio because it uses too much muscle as fuel. Instead do high intensity interval cardio, to start with I recommend 4 minutes at a nice easy pace followed by a minute all-out as fast as you can tolerate (then repeat for 30 minutes).

mcrow said:
Nutrition:

Aim for 1-1.5g of protein per pound of lean mass. Carbs are mostly fruits,verggies and whole grains. Try to get at least 25% calories from fat to maintain proper hormone levels.

To lose weight, multiply your current weight times 11-13, then subtract 500-750 calories. So if you weigh 180 you'd eat around 1800 to lose weight, maybe a little more if you are very active so 1800-2000. If you are 180 and about 18% bf then you'd have 148 pounds of lean mass and should get 150-200g of protein per day or 600-800 calories of protein.
It's all about calories in vs calories out so don't worry so much about the % of each macro, but get your proteinf or sure.

1800 calories for a 180 pound person is very low, that's a 800 calorie deficit for a completely sedentary person (and based on this regimen you would not be considered sedentary) I'd recommend at least 2500 calories per day. Here is how you calculate your metabolic rate: weight x 10 multiplied by your activity level: Sedentary 1.45, Light 1.6, Medium 1.7, High 1.88.

Also, a calorie is not simply a calorie. I don't think you really believe that since you recommend protein content etc. But as an example, a person whose diet is 2500 calories of simple carbs and sugars will not look the same as a person with a 2500 calorie diet of protein, fiber and complex carbs.

Sorry if I came off harsh... not the intent here. Just giving a different opinion.

If anyone is interested I created a unique customizable home DVD program that will be available for sale early August. Check it out here: Revolt Workout

Just passed the 60 lb. mark today. So...it took 136 days to drop 60 lbs. Average it out and I lost almost half a pound a day since I started.

Hey mzuleger, hit me up if you want somebody to put your dvd through the paces.

Ok, was perusing some of the earlier pages and whatnot. I've been working out in the gym for a very large portion of my life. Off and on for a bit of it. But I played baseball (pitcher) in college where all we did was run and work core. For Disc Golf, from what I can tell, there are certain body parts that would benefit some time on.

Legs - if your legs go endurance wise, then your base goes out the door and you start leaving things high and whatnot. Legs need to be solid. Good exercises for legs for this kind of sport, squats (universal), lunges, Box Jumps, Plyometric routines (jump training), and long distance running. Build up strength and endurance at the same time.

Core - obviously your core, a lot of people say it and dont kno what it is. Well it's your abs and your lower back. This are crucial as you're constantly doing a twisting motion, best to strengthen your lower back quite a bit and all your abs with possibly partial focus on obliques as they are the 'turning 'part of the abs. Doing all different kinds of ab workouts- not just crunches. Reverse Crunches, Roman chairs, leg lifts, torso twists. A good workout for abs is the P90X workout. For lower back, doing extensions on the bench that supports your legs (be careful not to hyper-extend your back. A lot of people think they need to go further then flat to get the most out of it. Doing so compresses your spine and can lead to further injuries. Also Yoga, yoga is a GNARLY core workout and leg workout at the same time. highly recommended.

Upper back- on the drive you're using a pulling motion, which utilizes your upper back and rotator cuff. If you want a harder 'pull' through on your drive, workout your upper back and it will help. Bent over flies work well to hit this part. As well as Resistant band pullups (wrap it high, sit down and do all diff pull-ups, close grip, wide grip, alternating grip) with an isometric hold (P90X back days are great at this). Also a good overall back workout- WITH PROPER FORM - are bent over barbell rows. Also good ol' fashioned pull-ups.

Shoulders- this is pretty obvious, your shoulders take a beating while out there, so this is a necessity. With Back and Shoulders, they are the easiest body parts IMO that can be injured while working out and can sideline you the longest. So take great care in not overdoing it on your back or shoulders. For shoulder workouts I do a pretty good routine that is designed to add strength and size to your shoulders and Traps. Good workouts for the functioning shoulders (not so much traps), are DB Shoulder Presses with a moderate amount of weight - dont try to show off. Lateral and front raises with straight arm as well as 90' bent arm. Also using a light BB (25 lbs) and doing straight arm holds in front of you to isolate the front delts. Upright Rows hit the traps hard but work the majority of the shoulder as well and work quite well too.

side note: Rotator Cuff- the best things for rotator cuff are VERY light weights- 5lb or resistance bands. look up a rotator cuff routine for pitchers and use it. It'll burn like crazy but helps a ton.

Essential big biceps arent' going to help you throw harder or farther or help with anything really. Triceps theoretically might help with the snap but they aren't utilized a ton. Essentially working out for Disc golf would emulate the working out of a MLB Pitcher. Same body parts/muscles are being utilized in both sports and the emphasis is the same on what body parts to work out.

Hope this helps!

mzuleger said:
Also, for a 3-day split consider Chest/Biceps, Legs/Shoulders, Back/Triceps. This way the body parts don't compete with each other so you can keep your rest between exercises to a minimum (and thus burn more calories).
Where do you fit your core into a split like that? Would it be better to do a little bit at each workout or dedicate more time (and sacrifice time on another body part) during one workout? If it's the latter, which one would you recommend adding core to?

it depends on what you mean by core... a lot of people mean abs when they say core. If that's the case then i'd throw in 10-15 minutes 2 or 3 times a week. Maybe spend 30 minutes lifting then finish with 10 minutes or so of abs.

But if by core you mean all your core muscles not just your abs then the exercises you choose should be addressing your core organically. What I mean is any heavy compound lift is going to engage your core for stability... Squats, Deadlifts, Bench press, these all work your core effectively that you wouldn't need any additional focus (unless you have some sort of history of injury that would require otherwise).

Hope this helps answer the question :)

mzuleger said:
it depends on what you mean by core... a lot of people mean abs when they say core. If that's the case then i'd throw in 10-15 minutes 2 or 3 times a week. Maybe spend 30 minutes lifting then finish with 10 minutes or so of abs.

But if by core you mean all your core muscles not just your abs then the exercises you choose should be addressing your core organically. What I mean is any heavy compound lift is going to engage your core for stability... Squats, Deadlifts, Bench press, these all work your core effectively that you wouldn't need any additional focus (unless you have some sort of history of injury that would require otherwise).

Hope this helps answer the question :)
It does help.

I sorta mean both. I have knee issues that don't allow me to do exercises where I bend my knees past (or sometimes even to) parallel to the ground so I can't do normal squats or dead lifts with any sort of weight that would really do much. I have alternative exercises that I do, but I don't know that they engage my core as much as those so I like to supplement my normal workout with some "core" work (I switch between several exercises that are supposedly good for your "core" using a Swiss ball). I still try to stick to mostly compound lifts using a Swiss ball or standing rather than sitting on a bench otherwise, but I'd rather do a bit of extra core work now than worry about back problems later.

My goals also aren't horribly high at the moment. I'm pretty happy with where I am physically so big muscle gains/fat loss isn't really necessary. I'd like to maintain to perhaps get a bit stronger/have less fat, but I'm not horribly confident that I will change a lot for the better with how busy both my personal and professional life is at the moment.

Your core mainly is your Abs and your lower/mid back. Which i guess could involve your hip flexors and whatnot. So the core workouts that would utilize this are all different kinds of ab work. Normal and reverse (to hit lower abs) and for lower back doing certain yoga movements will strengthen your core VERY well. but doing back extensions (dont hyper extend your back) on the leg stabilizer equipment. and isolating it by holding at that position. You dont even NEED weight to do this. But anything that will work your lower back and abs is 'essentially' your core. So the Swiss ball movements im' assuming are a lot of twisting which is great for your obliques (which should help with waist 'snap' on drives. Most people when they work 'abs' they only work the upper abs (crunches and anything chest to knees style) which is great and all but they wonder why they have upper abs but the 'pouch'. Remember: do reverse style crunches. Heels to ceiling, knees to chest, and the like to work the lower abs, they are usually the weaker abs on majority of people.

Looking at your knees issue: if you want to use weights there are things for your back that work quite well. Bend over barbell rows to your lower stomach to isolate the lower back. Straight Leg Dead Lifts are a hamstring but will also utilize your lower back as well. Also Good-Mornings are a lower back workout: if you dont know essentially stand upright with a Barbell on your traps, like your'e going to do a squat. Then with straight-ish legs (knees slightly bent if needed) you keep your head looking up and back flat and bend at the waist so you are a 90' angle at your hips and then back up. Works quite well, just BE CAREFUL. You dont want to start out doing lots of weight on your back, back injuries are the worst and take forever to rehab.

So...started the SL5x5 this morning. I feel like a big pussy in there because of how little you start out with, weight-wise. So, I will report back in a few weeks to see how things progress along with how it might affect my dg game.

Today marks the end of the weight loss wager with a buddy of mine(6 months). I didn't quite make the end goal of 190, but I came pretty damn close.

Final stats:
- Starting weight of 255 lbs.
- Final weight of 191 lbs.

- Starting waist of 45 in.
- Final waist of 33 in.

- Starting chest of 48 in.
- Final chest of 40 in.

BLURR said:
So...started the SL5x5 this morning. I feel like a big pussy in there because of how little you start out with, weight-wise. So, I will report back in a few weeks to see how things progress along with how it might affect my dg game.
I felt like one too so I jumped ahead. Take it from me and don't skip ahead because you will fail HARD.

I have not jumped ahead yet. But it is tempting. There are a couple of guys that are lifting usually the same time I am and they are hoss'ing around some serious weight. The kid warms up on the bench with 315 bolted down. Working his way up to 375. The other guy who is probably close to 60, starts his deadlift at 300 and works up to 400. It's f'ing ridiculous.

BLURR said:
I have not jumped ahead yet. But it is tempting. There are a couple of guys that are lifting usually the same time I am and they are hoss'ing around some serious weight. The kid warms up on the bench with 315 bolted down. Working his way up to 375. The other guy who is probably close to 60, starts his deadlift at 300 and works up to 400. It's f'ing ridiculous.
I hear you. I lifted at home without seeing kids warm up with 3 plate and I skipped ahead but then I failed hard. Stay the course man! You'll be pulling those numbers in no time.

BLURR said:
Today marks the end of the weight loss wager with a buddy of mine(6 months). I didn't quite make the end goal of 190, but I came pretty damn close.

Final stats:

- Final waist of 33 in.

- Final chest of 40 in.

Well done! Have you noticed differences in DG? Distance, staying fresh for longer, clearer head, less bad decisions, more good ones?

JR said:
BLURR said:

Final stats:

- Final waist of 33 in.

- Final chest of 40 in.

Well done! Have you noticed differences in DG? Distance, staying fresh for longer, clearer head, less bad decisions, more good ones?

I can play dg all day long now. I can play two rounds of 18 back to back and be ready to do it again. I seem to have better controlled distance now. Less bad decisions...not so much :lol: The one thing that I can do better now is straddle putting. I can straddle putt from about 40 ft. and in without much worry.

So, I added an extra exercise to the SL5x5 and it's only one set like the deadlifts. A friend of mine that does Crossfit told me about this one. Grab a 45 lb. plate and lift it over your head. Now do walking lunges for 50 meters and then turn around and do the 50 meters back again. Talk about a leg and shoulder burner, but I also noticed that my lower back got some burn and so did the ab's.

Set a new personal best today for squat and deadlift. Squatted 330 today and deadlifted 285. Next goal is 400 on the squat and 315 on the dead. I've hit a plateau on the bench though. I can't seemingly break that 225 mark. Need to figure something out here.

BLURR said:
Set a new personal best today for squat and deadlift. Squatted 330 today and deadlifted 285. Next goal is 400 on the squat and 315 on the dead. I've hit a plateau on the bench though. I can't seemingly break that 225 mark. Need to figure something out here.
Deload maybe? Are you eating enough?

Dig It said:
Are you eating enough?

Probably not. Only taking in between 1500-2000 calories a day right now. Trying to still trim the fat a little. Want to get down to the single digits in the body fat category.

BLURR said:
Dig It said:
Are you eating enough?

Probably not. Only taking in between 1500-2000 calories a day right now. Trying to still trim the fat a little. Want to get down to the single digits in the body fat category.
Yea that's kinda the catch 22. We want to gain muscle mass and lose weight at the same time and when you hit that magical zone of eating too little because you want to eat a deficit and needing to eat more to pack on more mass it sucks.

You may be in that zone but if you're benching 2 plate and squatting 3 plate +, that's pretty bad ass and maybe just keep doing what you're doing until you hit your goal BMI and not worry as much about new PRs on your compounds.

Either way nice work Blurr.

Latest posts