• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Strength, Fitness, and Training routines

How come you squat more than you deadlift? Generally it's the other way around

Triflusal said:
It could be that the SL 5x5 program has you squat every workout whereas deads are every other so your squats increase much faster.

Dig It said:
Triflusal said:
It could be that the SL 5x5 program has you squat every workout whereas deads are every other so your squats increase much faster.

Bingo.

Plus, I have always been able to squat more than I could deadlift. I have lengthy legs, so deadlifting is quite a bit tougher for me.

If you are on SL it is ok to jump 10lbs for several weeks in the beginning with deadlifts then switching down to 5lbs because of the tendency to reach higher weights and increase in technique quickest. Long legs(and arms) are better for deadlifting than squatting as well, have you tried taking a form video and analyzing it?

Congrats on the weight loss that is a major life change, hope that you continue to lift and stay healthy. If you never lose the ability to squat 315+ you will always be strong enough to do almost anything in life you need to.

I have finished my first tour of duty with the SL5x5. I am going to take off the month of January from the heavy lifting(For the most part). I might do a heavy day every 10 days, but going to try and do the Rich Franklin 10x10 with lighter weights and see how that goes. Work on some endurance. I will say this about the SL5x5. You really do gain strength. My comfort putting range has increased by at least 40% compared to before I started it.

Final stats for my first SL5x5:

Starting Bench: 95 lbs.
Ending Bench: 225 lbs. (I hurt my elbow around the beginning of November, so I had to stop the bench for a few weeks and it took me about 3 more weeks get back to 225)

Starting Squat: 95 lbs.
Ending Squat: 385 lbs.

Starting Deadlift: 95 lbs.
Ending Deadlift: 330 lbs.

ive been doing starting strength for 3-4 months and im up to:

185 bench

115 press (worst lift)

135 powerclean (just started these cause im a puss)

270lb squat below parallel (I effed up my hip flexors recently because of less than stellar form, so i am taking a mandatory break from squats :( )

270lb deadlift

all of those started from 45lbs bar weight.

You should be able to squat more than you deadlift even if your workout doesn't focus on squats; you have a mechanical advantage with a squat.

Squatted 405 on my last set of 5 this morning. Also was able to do a 1x5 of 345 for deadlift. My ass in dragging now. The SL5x5 is a legit routine and I highly recommend it if you are looking to gain raw strength.

jealous. I squatted 270 a month ago and hurt my hip flexors and am still recovering. keep your knees out and your but back fellas, don't be like me.

just curious, how deep are you squatting? this deep? http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/46/Squat.png

I learned my lesson on keeping your back straight on squats. I also wear a weight belt now too. It helps to remind me to keep my form clean.

A lot of interesting workouts here. Most of them involving bars - which I'm not a huge fan of. I started focusing on pure bodyweight calisthenic routines in the summer, and finally settled on one that seems to fit me in December. I'm up to almost two months working off of the plan set down in a book called Convict Conditioning. It's a nice program that has the nice benefit of set-in-stone finishing goals, as well as readily defined steps to achieve those goals. This gives you short term satisfaction, and at the same time a very-long-term finishing point to keep your eyes on. The book revolves around six core exercises.

Single leg deep squat
Single arm pushup (and not that BS with your leg way out to the side)
Single arm pullup (again, not uneven pullups, although they are a step along the way)
hanging straight leg raise
stand-to-stand bridge
single arm handstand pushup

Each of the six has ten steps to achieving the master exercise. So you're not starting out trying to knock out those six, you're progressing - spending minimum 5 weeks on each step. In the case of some steps (for example: diamond handstand pushup) you spend up to 18 weeks getting it perfect.

The reason I've eschewed work with bars is because they aren't natural movements. I have nothing against working with dumb-bells but the bars force your body to do things that it wouldn't do naturally. Each of the steps in the CC progressions focuses on natural movements that will give you strength through the tendons that will strengthen your joints - unlike bar work which causes more deterioration in the joints. An example would be the shoulder - many strength athletes will tell you the only solution to shoulder pain is to learn to live with it. This is a horrible way to look at it, but it is common. And it has nothing to do with them being strength athletes, working with heavy weights. If your workouts are doing anything but gradually lessening the pain in your life you're doing something very wrong.

Lets look at the presses - proper form for a press, bench and military as my examples, requires you to flare your elbows out, right? Proper form has your elbows out, lining you up with the bar to activate the major muscles involved (side heads of the delts and pectorals, respectively). A full range of motion is usually advised as well. Right? All the way down to the chest and back up. Now place that next to most natural motions you do every day. How many motions require you to splay your elbows way out? Imagine a father lifting a child, are the elbows way out or are they positioned in front of the body? Ask someone to hold something over their head. Are the elbows splayed out? Again, nope. Same goes for bringing the bar to the chest. Are we meant to do this? No way! Go to push someone away from you, go to push a car... do you start with your weight directly applied to your chest? Not a chance. All you're doing with "proper" bar exercise form is creating a situation that invites chronic injuries.

Guys, we on this forum are disc golfers. So to make this relate to you I give you this: the rotator cuff. We use that baby, we need it to crush. Am I right? Well guess what: it is especially prone to injury when placed under load with the humerus strongly twisted. What does proper form with bar exercises do to the humerus? Places a heavy load on it whilst exaggerating a twisting motion. Ask anyone that has dealt with serious shoulder injury - moving to dumb-bells and away from bars allows them to frequently continue to work with heavier weights they can no longer touch with a bar as they recover. Because the elbows are free to move naturally, the shoulders are free to move naturally. No more unnatural twisting. Additionally - the dumb-bells, because of the location of the plates, don't allow you to lower the "bar" to your chest, instead you're lowering the edge of those plates to your chest. A little less strain on the shoulders can go a long way.

Now going to pure bodyweight work, as I have, may be an extreme step. But if you want to stay healthy and keep your body ready to rip a disc, I highly recommend moving away from bar presses. It simply doesn't make sense for people that use their arms as we do.

Specificity in training is important, but being too specific with additional loading can adversely affect athletic performance. The more you mimic a movement with significant resistance, the more you disrupt motor patterns (McGuff & Little, 2009). You will never completely simulate in the gym what you could do on the field (Young, 1991), and if you spend too much time on so-called "sport-specific" movements, you will increase the likelihood of overuse injuries (Siff, 2000a; Vermeil, 2004).

(from elitefts.com)

This is the first week of training to run a half marathon in November. Put in 30 miles since Monday. Anybody on here do marathons(half, regular or ultra)? Anybody do trail marathons? Thinking I would like to try out the Psycho Wyco 20 miler in February 2013.

BrohanSolo said:
You should be able to squat more than you deadlift even if your workout doesn't focus on squats; you have a mechanical advantage with a squat.

actually you should be able to dead lift more than you squat - the weight only has to move up, instead of down and then back up.

the same posterior chain involvement is in both exercises - as long as you're talking about full pull dead lifts, and not RDLs or something.

BLURR said:
Logged my 1,000th running mile for the year this morning. Hoping to hit 1,200 by the end of the year.
Congrats. I run 10-15 miles a week only so I've just gone past 500. I used to track them on DailyMile but grew tired of having to post it, so now I just run as long and as far as I want, and listen to some tunes or podcasts. Rarely I'll wear my GPS watch.

Never on the treadmill. I want to quit after a quarter mile.

I hear ya on the treadmill. I hate having to run on those damn things, but sometimes do have to settle for that. Been logging 5-10 miles M-F since the beginning of the year. I have to wage war some mornings to get my ass out of bed, but after that first mile is done, I am in cruising mode for the rest of it. I use mapmyrun to get my distances for my various routes and then I just switch it up from day to day. Some routes are flat, some are hilly, and a little bit of everything in between. If you want to feel lighter on your feet when on the tee pad, I highly recommend getting some jogging/running in.

Today marks 2 years of accepting a fitness/weight loss wager with a former coworker of mine. Two years ago I was tipping the scales at 262 and steadily climbing. I am proud to say that this morning I weighted in at 194 and feeling pretty damn good. Disc Golf has become a joy again because I am not carrying the equivalent of a small child around the course anymore.

Congratulations! I've lost 8 kilos from this time last year and made my post injury longest bike ride yesterday. With snow on the ground :) I'm looking forward to getting into even better shape and being able to ride on higher gears with less friction on the ground. I'm bound to lose more weight :)

BLURR said:
Today marks 2 years of accepting a fitness/weight loss wager with a former coworker of mine. Two years ago I was tipping the scales at 262 and steadily climbing. I am proud to say that this morning I weighted in at 194 and feeling pretty damn good. Disc Golf has become a joy again because I am not carrying the equivalent of a small child around the course anymore.

Congrats! Very impressive.

Unfortunately life seems to be a zero sum game and I know where the weight you lost went to. :)

Latest posts