• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Valley

I miss it left/right more than high/low
I just need to figure it out
Same, but I feel like that's because the downhill causes the disc to act slightly different in terms of how much it turns. For me there's also a focus every time on trying to get a shot that is moving toward the right side just because I don't want to be moving toward that bush. I see possibly going OB as a necessary risk but going behind that bush is annoying.

Same, but I feel like that's because the downhill causes the disc to act slightly different in terms of how much it turns. For me there's also a focus every time on trying to get a shot that is moving toward the right side just because I don't want to be moving toward that bush. I see possibly going OB as a necessary risk but going behind that bush is annoying.

I try and err towards missing left to hit the tree. The bush is annoying but I can usually power through it with a throw-in

I try and err towards missing left to hit the tree. The bush is annoying but I can usually power through it with a throw-in
Yeah I'm still kinda getting used to powering through. That's a newer technique for me. I'm starting to get it more regularly but that bush is still annoying.

But the tree, for me, is usually directly behind or slightly to the right of the basket. I usually push my drive up near or past the log laying on the ground on the near side of the water. I bring my aim point off the initial spot to where the top arrow is tip-at-the-bottom of the tree. So almost a straight down move. And then throw deep hyzer with the LG Ballista. Flip up and glide with a bit of left movement when its flying straight. That gets me a sliding finish, but sometimes slides into the drink. But that's barely 35m, usually not much wind, and level ground shooting.

Yeah I'm still kinda getting used to powering through. That's a newer technique for me. I'm starting to get it more regularly but that bush is still annoying.

But the tree, for me, is usually directly behind or slightly to the right of the basket. I usually push my drive up near or past the log laying on the ground on the near side of the water. I bring my aim point off the initial spot to where the top arrow is tip-at-the-bottom of the tree. So almost a straight down move. And then throw deep hyzer with the LG Ballista. Flip up and glide with a bit of left movement when its flying straight. That gets me a sliding finish, but sometimes slides into the drink. But that's barely 35m, usually not much wind, and level ground shooting.

That's how I play the hole, too. It's safer than it sounds and those 160ft and shorter eagle throws feel way easier than the 180ft ones. Less bombing past the island too.

I did notice on OW 2 that some of the water on the near side of the island is in bounds. So if I'm not close enough to run it, or in a conservative mood, I just aim on the short side. It's been working. Going for eagle hasn't paid off too much so far.

One general trick on OW is that the bushes don't seem to affect putts much (or maybe that's just a 926 thing in general?) and tree trunks (as urdizzle mentions in his videos) affect flight whereas tree branches tend not to MOST of the time. The putting in bushes helps out a lot on that 2nd hole island bush as well as that bush on the RHFH uphill shot with the death putt.

With all the ratings talk: do holes always have the same ratings? Or are they rated easier with some winds and harder with others? Also, on multiplayer rounds, do we know if we all have the same wind? I've always assumed so, but maybe not.

I did notice on OW 2 that some of the water on the near side of the island is in bounds. So if I'm not close enough to run it, or in a conservative mood, I just aim on the short side. It's been working. Going for eagle hasn't paid off too much so far.

One general trick on OW is that the bushes don't seem to affect putts much (or maybe that's just a 926 thing in general?) and tree trunks (as urdizzle mentions in his videos) affect flight whereas tree branches tend not to MOST of the time. The putting in bushes helps out a lot on that 2nd hole island bush as well as that bush on the RHFH uphill shot with the death putt.

With all the ratings talk: do holes always have the same ratings? Or are they rated easier with some winds and harder with others? Also, on multiplayer rounds, do we know if we all have the same wind? I've always assumed so, but maybe not.

Same winds for everyone on MP
Winds do not affect ratings for holes, which definitely adds a luck element for ratings chasers

Total uninvolved pie in the sky.... But.....
Have they ever considered changing the hole placements?
Seems like that would spice up the game more than adding slower graffix heavy sludge.
I love OW, but it's really a bad addition. Dropping the resolution is just awful, not a reasonable fix. But i play on a phone, not a pad. As is, it's barely tolerable.
/One mans opinion. Just curious.

Disagree about Owlwood - though I play on an iPad so dropping resolution probably doesn't hurt me as much as you. It does look worse, but I forget it looks worse until I go to my phone (which CAN handle Owlwood at higher res but I rarely use because its smaller). Owlwood is one of the better courses. I think a version of Owlwood mixed with some elevation where you can't play over the top, a whole course similar to the more heavily wooded holes, would be great. It'd probably own my iPad too. But not gonna complain about better courses.

I personally love Owlwood, it is the most realistic of the courses, IMHO. Trees are hit or miss, but really isn't that the case in real life? No one has perfect control of a disc once it leaves their hand. All the Owlwood holes have really easy paths to par. If you want the birdie (or eagle on 2), you have to take a little risk on most of the holes (maybe 1, 3, and 4 not as much).

There is certainly a degree of randomness/luck in DG, I think Owlwood best captures that. Perfect rounds become boring after all, right? That's why the top pros in this app spend a lot of time trying to find ace runs on at least a dozen of the holes. Apparent by the -16 scores I have seen in the daily tourneys. Those are only possible with multiple aces.

I think even a little variability in the flight paths of distance drivers is fine, just to keep the game realistic.

:)

First time with more than 2 aces in a round, in the new daily. I bet some sicko will still card a -15 though lol.

O1fpUH8.png

How do you guys play Owlwood Hole 1? I forehand it low with a L/G Ballista, but I sometimes clip the tree or come up short after hitting an iron leaf. It's only about an 80% birdie and I'd like to get that up.

How do you guys play Owlwood Hole 1? I forehand it low with a L/G Ballista, but I sometimes clip the tree or come up short after hitting an iron leaf. It's only about an 80% birdie and I'd like to get that up.
Try going even lower. If you have a different ballista, try that. One that is not BOTH light and glide--they turn too much for a tight line like that. I use a skip glide and I am about 95% inside 75'.

W/G ballista works pretty well too. I'm almost never pin high but almost always 40' to 85'. L/G is just a tiny bit harder to control. I feel like there's a L/G backhand ace line, but haven't really worked too hard on it.

FH LG Ballista. At minimal wind the point of the middle arrow on my reticle is directly on the point of the basket icon, and I flex an anny.

How does everyone play holes 7 and 9 at Owlwood. They really kick my ass.

Low forehand with a skip/light ballista gets me inside 40 ft. almost every time. Sometimes the wind forces to make a weird or longer putt, but I'd say I get hole 1 at least 90% of the time.

Low forehand with a skip/light ballista gets me inside 40 ft. almost every time. Sometimes the wind forces to make a weird or longer putt, but I'd say I get hole 1 at least 90% of the time.

lvl 122 still no skip/light or other decent skip ballista lol. I will give it a shot when I find one, thanks.

Latest posts