• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Wiki?

hewittdallas

Eagle Member
So, I am sort of a nerd and make my living in the technology industry. I spend a lot of time on the web and Wikipedia has become one of my best friends over the years. There seems to be a wiki out there for just about everything except disc golf. Yet I cannot help but notice the volumes of information that exist about this game.

Would there be any interest in setting up a wiki for DG? I don't know if that would be seen as a conflict with the purpose of this site as that isn't my goal. I think it would be an awesome additional tool for helping out players like myself that have so much to learn.

Thoughts?

You can tell me its a dumb idea. :)

Mods, you can move if this doesn't belong here. Equipment discussions (repeat questions) got me thinking on the subject.

This was the main purpose of a site i'm trying to build. Trying to find out who won Disc Golf Championships pre 1995 and that info is almost non existent, or you have to dig and dig for it. Trying to catalog player and then have queries to go through all the majors. More or less just for the MPO. Also, trying the same thing with discs etc. I've been trying to find out all the info on past tourneys but it hasn't been as easy as I could find. Plus, USDGC on wikipedia i believe just goes to 1999 or something like that. I'm in the same boat there is really no type of wiki on disc golf?

A Disc Golf exclusive wiki? I think that would be a great idea.... a huge undertaking, but a great idea. At this point, with so many discers online, it wouldn't take long at all to get a comprehensive DG wiki going. :thmbup:

If there was enough interest (aka people to contribute), I would be willing to setup and host the wiki. The thing is, wikis are only as good as their contributors. I know there is a lot of information from the users on these forums. The question would be, would they be willing to share it?

Have tons of info stored in CSV Files probably 400 Discs with the ratings, stability, plastics and etc. If the wiki can import CSV Files i'll be glad to donate the information for ya.

I just installed the software and haven't really done anything else at this point. I am honestly not that familiar with this software, but it shouldn't be that hard for us to figure out. Hopefully, I will have some time tomorrow to sit down and get things up and running.

The more the merrier. A wiki is only as good as the group that contributes to it. If we can get just a handful of the brains here at DGCR helping out, I have no doubt it could be a huge resource to the whole DG community.

http://www.discgolfsweden.se/discar/discar_english2.aspx
As far as information about discs goes, this is a pretty dang comprehensive site. I enjoy spending time browsing here every now and again.

This is a great resource indeed! However, the wiki represents an opportunity to tackle those far more minute details relating to the game. For example, how much could be written about the Roc alone? What about the history of the game? There is so much potential for exchange of information.

I'd like a list of courses and when created.. particularly the first 100 courses..

here in Illinois we have West Park that was created in 1979 just 4 years after the first course in Oak Grove Park (Pasadena, Ca).

This wiki could become a mecca for DG'ers if done well.

This is a great idea.

I joined up... I know some stuff but it's all more recent. Can't wait to see if some of the DeeGee gods join up...ThreePutt?