• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Wiki?

Excellent idea! The enormous letters are pretty easy, but as I alluded to earlier in this thread, I am a serious noob when it comes to graphics. If you, or anyone else, have some skill in this area, we would greatly appreciate it.

I can offer a try at a logo, but don't expect anything fancy. Also it would be nice to add some photos to the site, especially for the equipment articles. I've got a few I can offer of my own taking. I'm working until midnight tonight and have to be back in at 10 in the morning, but after 9pm tomorrow night I'll be off for 3 days, not counting the disc golf tournament I'm in on Sunday. :)

I plan to wake up tomorrow, watch some soccer, play at least two rounds of disc golf, clean the house, and then work on the wiki. As I mentioned, I'll take a shot at templates (which will include some pics). However, if you have the desire/ability to take a crack at the logo, you are more than welcome. Ideally, a 135x135 png-24 image with transparent background.

Also keep in mind there are challenges associated with maintaining variable data. Tournament information requires frequent updating to stay current. This isn't bad necessarily, just something that needs to be known upfront with a project as small as ours. :)

Yeah wanted to put in the toruney info and then [[]] the players to make there pages, but do you think hyperlinking to the tourney results would be better or do you think it would be worth it to try and tie the players to all the major tourneys. The reason I was going to try is because PDGA.com doesn't even seem to keep good history, etc. But on the other hand, it will be quite labor intensive.

Here's a bit of a logo concept. You seem to like red, but the color can be changed easily if you like the concept.

attachment.php

In the version I have on my hard drive, the corners are transparent. The white corners you see may be the result of some default setting in this site's image handling. Or the transparency may have been removed on upload. I can put a copy somewhere else without the white corners if that's the case.

Attachments

• disc-golf-wiki-logo.png
    disc-golf-wiki-logo.png
    12 KB · Views: 2
I can easily remove the white circle background as well, but that might camouflage the details of the image if the colors behind it are the wrong value.

On closer examination, it does appear that the background outside the circle is white on the wiki as well. I'm not sure why though, because it was transparent in my image browser. Hmmm.....

I just created a couple of the "needed pages" while I veg here at work (omg it's frakking dead). Of course they still need a lot of fleshing out, especially the "putting" page.

And remember, a wiki is a community effort, so if somebody changes or re-words your work to improve it, avoid taking offense unless it's a flagrantly malicious act. I pledge to live by this philosophy as a wiki contributor. :thmbup:

Together we can do big things! :hfive:

PM me your email address and I'll send you the file directly. That might work better.

Got the file and uploaded to the wiki. The image quality was considerably better through direct file transfer and the background colors are correct. I think the new logo looks great. Thank you so much for helping out in this way!

I just created a couple of the "needed pages" while I veg here at work (omg it's frakking dead). Of course they still need a lot of fleshing out, especially the "putting" page.

And remember, a wiki is a community effort, so if somebody changes or re-words your work to improve it, avoid taking offense unless it's a flagrantly malicious act. I pledge to live by this philosophy as a wiki contributor. :thmbup:

Together we can do big things! :hfive:

I am now hoping to tackle some of this tomorrow. My plans for this evening were interrupted by widespread internet outages. Hooray for Time Warner Cable.... :wall:

So far, so good!

hewittdallas,

Thanks for getting that off the ground. Just checked it out, and like what I see. Kudos to all those that have been helping with the content and graphics. It'll be cool to watch the site grow!
:clap:

Link is in my sig. Apparently, a project very similar to this one was started late last year under the name "Discipedia." It was a short run and I believe this new wiki is considerably more developed already. However, the domain Discipedia.com is set to expire in October. Should they fail to renew, I may buy it and use the catchy name. I just think "discopedia" would be too similar to "discopedia" and it could cause some confusion.

Discopedia would have something to do with Saturday Night Fever. Discipedia might have something to do with religious devotion.

So I like Disc Golf Wiki. Keep it simple!

I've started filling in disc pages with very minimal information (name, manufacturer, plastics, weight, stability).

I figure that starting a brand new page might be intimidating to people but that editing an obviously insufficient page (like what I'm making) could be easier.

Any word on templates?

That would still be my fail. I didn't get them done this weekend because my cable died on me. Now I am moving this week and not sure if I am going to have any spare time when I'm not packing boxes. If anyone else feels inspired to tackle templates, they are more than welcomed. Otherwise, I'm looking at early next week before I can get to it. Then again, I probably won't have a chance to play disc golf before then either and that is a priority! ;)

Bump to the top - My schedule has been so out of whack and been so busy actually playing Disc Golf in the nice weather and work. Calling for rain so going to try and start getting some entries in again!

So we recently passed the one month anniversary of the Disc Golf Wiki (http://www.dgwiki.org) and the results have been very encouraging. However, as with all other community projects, there is still much work to be done and more help is needed.

There are over 200 pages already established and the site continues to pick up traffic, quickly approaching 4,000 views. There is a lot of potential here that I believe we still haven't fully tapped. If you like to write or have even moderate knowledge of any aspect of the game, your contributions would go a long way.

Just to clarify, this is a group effort for the greater good of the DG community. I assure you I, nor anyone else, is benefiting from this website in any way (I actually take a loss on the web space).

So, if you haven't been to the wiki yet, please take a few minutes to check it out. Read, join, contribute! :)