• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc golf within' walking distance of camping

tripandball

Hello. I am a nomad that lives on the road w/ my truck & camper. I'm a filmmaker on my own schedule and want to find the absolute best places to play disc golf where I can walk right from my camper and play daily. I am editing until January so I am totally free.

I will stay at the DG Hall of Fame in Appling, GA for 3 weeks coming up soon, but then plan to drive west. I am hoping to find a few awesome spots that maybe have a couple disc golf courses on location as well as RV camping. I want to get 2 round a day in everyday as much as possible while I edit films in the middle of the day. I just don't want to have to drive to play golf. I want to camp at the same location as some great courses.

Can anyone recommend some great places that on your way WEST. I know that Illinois, Michigan, & Wisconson have some good ones...but I am having trouble finding great disc golf hotspots.

I did find FARRAGUT STATE PARK in Idaho that could be an option when the busy season ends...but that's the best I could find.

Thanks for your help!

Trip

I did find FARRAGUT STATE PARK in Idaho that could be an option when the busy season ends...but that's the best I could find.

Trip

Frankly, it's not going to get any better than Farragut. I camp hosted there for two summers and the combination of campgrounds and disc golf is outstanding. They have three full 18 hole courses, and excellent 9 hole (scheduled to be bumped out to 18) "family friendly" course that is perfect for putter only rounds, and have begun installation of a longer, more open "championship" course.

So depending on where they are with expanding the small course and building the last one, you'll have between 3 1/2 and 5 courses at your disposal. And they are good courses.

Check out some of Central Coast Disc Golf's Youtube coverage of the Farragut Opens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-SCxGE3rNM

I will note that the two campgrounds closest to Disc Golf (Whitetail and Snowberry) are the first to close in the fall, often just after Labor Day. The other campgrounds are a couple of miles from the DG courses.

Thanks

Thanks @markmcc

I was looking at Reserve America and did see that they close just after Labor Day. It's booked on all weekends up until that point which makes staying for weeks difficult. Maybe next year for Farragut.

Thanks @markmcc

I was looking at Reserve America and did see that they close just after Labor Day. It's booked on all weekends up until that point which makes staying for weeks difficult. Maybe next year for Farragut.

They don't close all of the campgrounds, but they stop taking reservations. There are usually two campgrounds open well into October (you might call them to confirm) but they are a bit further from the disc golf. I used to ride my bike to the DG courses from that area.

You shouldn't have any trouble getting in after Labor Day, but it's first come, first served...

I love hornings hideout

Horning's Hideout, North Plains, OR. http://www.horningshideout.com/ 3 courses on an awesome property, with camping right next to the courses. There are also a couple of other good courses within a 30 min. or so drive.

This is one of my favorite places to play in the country. Great location and definitely the one I stay at when I am in Oregon. I actually filmed a documentary called "Fred the Disc Golf Dog" at Hornings hideout. Look it up on youtube.

Solar Eclipse

During my research tonight, I came across BINDER STATE PARK in Missouri. The timing is perfect because I was looking for Aug 14-22, and realized that the solar eclipse passes right over Jefferson City during that time. Binder state park has $20 full hook ups for RVs...and 2 disc golf courses right there. I think it is a perfect one for a nice stopping point.

In Big Spring, TX you can camp for free in Comanche Trail Park. Across the street to the south is holes 6-8 of the Blood Stone course, and across the cable fence to the north is the ball golf course (probably have to pay to get on that one). CTP has 2 18 hole courses, the shorter, rougher Blood Stone course, and the longer, park-like Lake course. They used to allow RV parking in the amphitheater parking lot which is in the park and walking distance.

Sky High Disc Golf in Wrightwood, CA is right next to Table Mountain Campground. Turtle Rock in Markleeville, CA. The back nine plays around the campground. Coyote Point in Oak View, CA. All three course rated 4 or better.

At Shawshank in Huntsville, TX, you can camp at the course. It is a bit out of the way but it is one of the best courses and overall experiences in Texas. The course owner will also likely accompany you for at least part of a round, whether you like it or not. He's a great guy though.

Binder Park has 17 sites for RVs and one course is right there. The DAM course is 2 miles northwest. Also Rothwell Park in Moberly, MO has 2 courses on site with a nice RV park

In So Cal

There is camping in same park at Prado Regional Park DGC in Chino Hills.
There is camping in same park at Yucaipa Regional Park DGC in Yucaipa
There is camping in same park at Lake Cachuma DGC, near Santa Barbara

In Iowa

There is camping in same park at Sugar Bottom DGC, Iowa City/North Liberty
There is camping in same park at Walnut Creek DGC, Johnson City/Des Moines
There is camping in same park at Big Creek State Park DGC, Polk City/Des Moines
There is camping in same part at West Lake Park DGC, Davenport, Iowa

The only campgrounds I know of with multiple good courses within walking distance are: Mason County Campground, with Beauty, Beast and Goliath a short walk away.

and Wildwood Park (home of the IDGC courses) in Appling, GA.

Many campgrounds have a single, quality course within walking distance, (one of which that hasn't been mentioned yet is
Delaware State Park, near Columbus OH... home of the Gordon Holton Memorial DGC

... but you're really limiting things when you look for more than one course within walking distance.

Last edited:

Latest posts