• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Recommendations for Forehand Throws

kinger

Birdie Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
I am a left hand back hand thrower, but want to start developing a forehand shot.
I throw Innova DX & Discraft Pro-D plastic in the 165-170 gram range for my drivers.

My current drivers are: Valkyrie, Leopard, Cyclone.

Been thinking about getting a new driver, and figured I'd like one I can toss both backhand and forehand.
I'd like to stick with Innova DX & Discraft Pro-D plastics for now.

Beast, Orc or Wraith for starters?

Please help me out.

Start with a Whippet. It's a great forehand disc and is better than the high speed stuff for learning.

You can throw any of those three drivers well FH, and they will be better to learn with than something OS because they'll force you to keep your form clean.

EDIT: I mean the three drivers you have now. Not the Beast, Orc or Wraith, they will just teach you bad form. :thmbup:

jtbing got it right. the stuff you already have is fine. if you are learning FH it's better to stay away from overstable stuff (like a whippet) because it will hide your throwing flaws/not give feedback on what you are doing wrong.

The valkyrie will be fine, I've found this to be quite a versatile disc. I tried learning FH when I first started playing... with a star wraith. Not a good idea, and was the reason why I gave up on the FH completely because I didn't think it had anything to do with the disc. Now that I've cleaned up my FH a little bit the wraith has become one of my best discs for that type of shot, in certain situations.

The Wraith really improved my rhfh throw. I use the star plastic but they carry it in just about every plastic.

2 disc's that I actually never threw backhand but I threw sidearm around 380ft ...Champion Boss and Star Teerex!

Gazelle.... or Teebird go dx at first understable is your friend even though some will tell you otherwise. I am forehand dominate and drive putters forehand as well. Try an XD if you really want to get some good form. The buzzz is a great forehand disc as well.

If you have the arm speed and snap a FIREBIRD is unbeatable for FH (especially the Glow FIREBIRD) Star XCAL is also money in the bank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a lefty too and I use an Elite Z Flick for my forehands but it might be too overstable to start with like these other guys were sayin. I am also doubting you could use it very much for your backhand. I have been throwing forehands for a year or so and the Flick is all I throw.

KC Pro Roc for shorter drives and longer upshots.

Mike C slings the Roc I throw the XD almost the same disc but the XD does not have a bead. So find what feels best for the grip you are using. I don't personally like throwing forehand with a big bead on the disc but it is all personal preferance.

By the way Mike you should show us your forehand skills in your next vid I am sure your at least all right at it. Have you tried to forehand a Wizard yet? I have been getting mine out to about 230' with a forehand but the XD's are going to 250'. Thanks again for getting me hooked on putter rounds....

Learn to flick your putter from a standstill. I started doing this with Rhynos and then graduated myself to Whippets. I may have skipped a step between there (and may pay for it, too), but I improved my accuracy ten-fold after flicking Destroyers for a year. I can no longer throw shots over 350 at the moment. But I can put a Whippet out there and pretty much know where it will go.

Latest posts